• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    Surely Dr Starkey's comments could be printed right at the bottom of the screen while the music is being sung.
    But what would Dr Starkey do the while?

(thinks: maybe we didn't need a presenter at all...)

On the subject of subtitles - someone should have told whoever 'translated' the Agincourt carol that affray isn't the same as afraid.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Yes, wasn't that basic lunacy, jean! I'm afraid I laughed out loud.
      And as you say, what I do NOT understand is if this is about MUSIC - erm...title of series, Beeb? - why the heck does he keep on talking THROUGH that music?

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Yes, wasn't that basic lunacy, jean! I'm afraid I laughed out loud.
        And as you say, what I do NOT understand is if this is about MUSIC - erm...title of series, Beeb? - why the heck does he keep on talking THROUGH that music?

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

What I really would have liked (would like!) to know is how close we came to losing Church music altogether, as Dr Starkey implied we did during the reign of Edward VI.

Though there's no arguing about the demand for syllabic setting of words, rather than longer and longer melismata, that would not rule out music altogether. And the Council of Trent laid down the same sort of strictures, though perhaps those were a defensive reaction to Protestant ideas? I've never been sure.

We will never know how English music would have developed if it had not been for the Reformation, but it is true (isn't it?) that the Eton Choirbook style, magnificent though it is, probably could not have been taken much further.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

What I really would have liked (would like!) to know is how close we came to losing Church music altogether, as Dr Starkey implied we did during the reign of Edward VI.

Though there's no arguing about the demand for syllabic setting of words, rather than longer and longer melismata, that would not rule out music altogether. And the Council of Trent laid down the same sort of strictures, though perhaps those were a defensive reaction to Protestant ideas? I've never been sure.

We will never know how English music would have developed if it had not been for the Reformation, but it is true (isn't it?) that the Eton Choirbook style, magnificent though it is, probably could not have been taken much further.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
              How can we know this, jean? Music history is fuelled as much by geniuses who take "what cannot be taken much further" further, as by those who "start afresh".
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                How can we know this, jean? Music history is fuelled as much by geniuses who take "what cannot be taken much further" further, as by those who "start afresh".
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  talking THROUGH that music
                  Aren't the vast majority of music programmes on television (Proms excepted) ABOUT music (or a reality TV competition of some sort) rather than a broadcast of the music for its own sake?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

talking THROUGH that music
                    Aren't the vast majority of music programmes on television (Proms excepted) ABOUT music (or a reality TV competition of some sort) rather than a broadcast of the music for its own sake?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I suppose before the music is played the presenter could talk about the piece etc, and then hopefully keep quiet during it?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I suppose before the music is played the presenter could talk about the piece etc, and then hopefully keep quiet during it?
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Ahem, bbm, this is David Starkey you're asking about. 'Keeping quiet'? Hmm.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

True! We can live and hope!!
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

True! We can live and hope!!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X