• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

'David Starkey's Music and Monarchy'

This 4 episode series starts a week today, and should be of interest to those of us who are not allergic to DS

Henry V and Henry VIII, kings who were also composers, and how they shaped British music.

I shall be giving it a whirl.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    This 4 episode series starts a week today, and should be of interest to those of us who are not allergic to DS

Henry V and Henry VIII, kings who were also composers, and how they shaped British music.

I am certainly not 'allergic' to DS and in fact I think he is something of a 'National Treasure'.. I will be watching

with great interest.
    As a matter of fact, he lives about 4 miles 'up the road' from me but I haven't as yet sat next to him on the no.17 bus from Canterbury to Folkestone!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
      I am certainly not 'allergic' to DS and in fact I think he is something of a 'National Treasure'.. I will be watching

with great interest.
      As a matter of fact, he lives about 4 miles 'up the road' from me but I haven't as yet sat next to him on the no.17 bus from Canterbury to Folkestone!

Actually he attended a function at work a few months back, and was an absolute poppet - much less acerbic than the TV 'persona' but full of wit and knowledge, and very generous with both until a late hour. Like you, I have a lot of time for him.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I'm not allergic to Dr Starkey, but I certainly am to the Windsors. However since the series is concerned with musical monarchs, there won't be much about them! I've read an article about the series somewhere and DS makes the same point. I also browsed through the book in Waterstones; it struck me as a bit padded out - with big print and lots of blank spaces on the pages.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
          I'm not allergic to Dr Starkey, but I certainly am to the Windsors. However since the series is concerned with musical monarchs, there won't be much about them! I've read an article about the series somewhere and DS makes the same point. I also browsed through the book in Waterstones; it struck me as a bit padded out - with big print and lots of blank spaces on the pages.
          I'm looking forward to hearing him sing some of Albert's songs.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

'David Starkey's Music and Monarchy'

'Dr David Starkey explores how the story of British music has been shaped by the monarchy' this evening at 8.10 on BBC2, starting with Henry V and Henry VIII.

Here he is being introduced to the Eton Choirbook. (He looks a bit scared to me.)

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Starkey on Music & the Monarchy, BBC 20.7.13 etc

'Dr David Starkey explores how the story of British music has been shaped by the monarchy' this evening at 8.10 on BBC2, starting with Henry V and Henry VIII.

Here he is being introduced to the Eton Choirbook. (He looks a bit scared to me.)

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

I wouldn't let Starkey within a country mile of the Eton Choirbook. One is un-price-able the other is .........priceless

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

I wouldn't let Starkey within a country mile of the Eton Choirbook. One is un-price-able the other is .........priceless

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Very true, DracoM! I was wondering if any members here has bought the Naxos recordings of this cycle?
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Very true, DracoM! I was wondering if any members here has bought the Naxos recordings of this cycle?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        Jean there is already a general arts thread about this series, and since only the first episode or two will be about early music, I think, it might be best if I merged this thread with the earlier one?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          Jean there is already a general arts thread about this series, and since only the first episode or two will be about early music, I think, it might be best if I merged this thread with the earlier one?

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

You must do as you see fit...but I couldn't find it (I still can't!) so it would be nice to have something on the Early Music board.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

You must do as you see fit...but I couldn't find it (I still can't!) so it would be nice to have something on the Early Music board.

Comment

Working...
                              X