X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Alan Whicker has died

Alan Whicker, who travelled the world it seemed making TV films, has died in Jersey aged 87. He was a one-off, despite the best efforts of Monty Python.

Tributes are paid to the broadcaster Alan Whicker, who has died at the age of 87 after suffering from bronchial pneumonia.

Last edited by Guest; 12-07-13, 15:55. Reason: trypo
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Alan Whicker, who travelled the world it seemed making TV films, has died in Jersey aged 87. He was a one-off, despite the best efforts of Monty Python.

Tributes are paid to the broadcaster Alan Whicker, who has died at the age of 87 after suffering from bronchial pneumonia.

He always seemed genuinely open-minded about cultures in every way different from the ultra-British manner of himself he presented, and was one of the few to give us a window on life in Cuba, in one of his last series.

RIP Alan...

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Thanks ams, urbane, suave, a wonderful broadcaster of the old school.

RIP Alan Whicker

Comment

• Beef Oven

A truly great man. RIP

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Indeed! A truly honest and great man! I rememeber from a kid watching his programmes. RIP AW
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

I treasure the memory of the film he made about fox hunting. Dick Bush, the cameraman, picked up the heavy camera and ran with it to simulate the chase. This was probably the first use of a hand held camera.

Whicker was great, and had one memorable phrase -- " There are those that say that the night air over Melton Mowbray breathes with the sighs of adulterers " I can still here the delivery of that line !

His much more recent film remembering his wartime experiences in Italy was very moving and honest.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post

His much more recent film remembering his wartime experiences in Italy was very moving and honest.
              Don't know this film. Wouldn't mind getting hold of it for my dad. He fought at Anzio and it would make a nice 89th birthday present. Any steer would be appreciated.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                Don't know this film. Wouldn't mind getting hold of it for my dad. He fought at Anzio and it would make a nice 89th birthday present. Any steer would be appreciated.
                This is it, I think, BeefO:

There's also a "Talking Book" version, read by Whicker, which was a R4 "Book of the Week" a couple of years or so ago:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

It would have been on about three years ago, I think on BBC 2. I rather hope that it might be repeated, and it would certainly interest your father as Whicker covered the Anzio campaign travelling with military photographers right into the close action.
                  This was a very personal film, but still with the old charm.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Our only family casualty of either of the two World Wars fell at Anzio in February 1944. I only had a sketchy idea of it all from my mother but the wonderful Commonwealth War Graves Commission website provided not only the date of his death (19/2/44) but shows exactly where he is buried. I should like to see Whicker's War as well.

Incidentally, you can see Alan Whickeramongst the reporters in that bit of film where Kim Philby was denying being a Soviet spy. Probably on youTube somewhere.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      This is it, I think, BeefO:

There's also a "Talking Book" version, read by Whicker, which was a R4 "Book of the Week" a couple of years or so ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whickers-War...s=alan+whicker
                      Many thanks fernie!

Birthday present easily sorted

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                        It would have been on about three years ago, I think on BBC 2. I rather hope that it might be repeated, and it would certainly interest your father as Whicker covered the Anzio campaign travelling with military photographers right into the close action.
                        This was a very personal film, but still with the old charm.
                        As per fernie's post, it's available on DVD

Comment

• gamba
                          Late member
                          • Dec 2010

I joined BBC Television Film Studios round about 1958 -59 & was involved with ' Tonight ' from my first day. There were three main presenters, Alan Whicker, Fyffe Robertson & MacDonald Hastings. I started with ' Mac ' Hastings & we got on famously, I felt he needed ' looking after ! ' ( as he did ). It was only a matter of time before I was working with each of the others. My first encounter with Alan Whicker was in a small museum in Haslemere, Surrey where two doctors were using X-Rays on an Egyptian mummy in an attempt to establish a more detailed account of it's death. All went well throughout the day until late afternoon, when what was an uncomfortable feeling in my 'tum became a feeling of a more violent sickness. We had almost finished, my assistant could look after what little was left, a car was ordered & I was sent home.

Next morning feeling fine. Get to work & phone Alan at Lime Grove & apologise for my behaviour previous day;
                          " Best thing you ever did " said he to my astonishment. " Yes, for feeling sick & clearing off " I was shattered by such a remark. I started to explain when he burst into a positive explosion of laughter. " You not seen today's papers ? BBC cameraman struck down by mummy's curse - curse of Mummy causes halt to filming - Mummy's revenge on BBC film crew etc., etc.,. We should get about twice our usual viewers when this goes out, you've done us a great favour, thanks mate."

Yes he was a great person to work with. Although nothing prepared me for my first sight when I first entered the room we would be working in . Alan was seated at a trestle table typing away, also talking to the PA, also talking to the director. I stand in front of him & am included in the list of ongoing conversations - I hoped someone else would come in - what was his total I wondered ?

A sad loss .

Comment

• Parry1912
                            • Nov 2010

Wonderful anecdote, gamba
                            Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                              Wonderful anecdote, gamba
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X