X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

What Olivia Did Next .. 'Run' Channel 4

I thoroughly enjoyed Broadchurch starring David Tennant and Olivia Coleman recently, and this four-parter looks like it could be gripping too ...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/runOlivia Colman and Katie Leung star in a compelling four-part drama which weaves together the stories of four seemingly ...

As a fan of Olivia Coleman, I sincerely hope so
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I hate these trailers with a split second of this followed by ditto of that, the whole thing overswamped with "dramatic" music; it generally just puts me off from watching the advertised programme, and then if I do watch, I rarely recognise the extrapolated clips in context. I know - trailers have always had these characteristics, someone will say, but it seems to have got worse as years have gone by: maybe I'm (at last!) getting less susceptible to hype. I'll probably give the first of the 4 a go, and take it from there.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I hate these trailers with a split second of this followed by ditto of that, the whole thing overswamped with "dramatic" music; it generally just puts me off from watching the advertised programme, and then if I do watch, I rarely recognise the extrapolated clips in context. I know - trailers have always had these characteristics, someone will say, but it seems to have got worse as years have gone by: maybe I'm (at last!) getting less susceptible to hype. I'll probably give the first of the 4 a go, and take it from there.
      It's an episode a night for four nights which is good

Comment

• DublinJimbo
        • Nov 2011

Thanks am51 for flagging that. I thoroughly enjoyed Broadchurch and will watch Run on the strength of that.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Heavens Ams, I thought you meant she was now Channel 4 Controller! (or whatever THEY call it)...

Given the current media overkill on her, it wouldn't really have surprised me! Are we allowed to just be "really not that into her"?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Heavens Ams, I thought you meant she was now Channel 4 Controller! (or whatever THEY call it)...

Given the current media overkill on her, it wouldn't really have surprised me! Are we allowed to just be "really not that into her"?
            I still think her most sympathetic role was as the wife in "Rev".

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Sound very "Channel 4-ish" to promote a woman to run it - especially Sophie from The Peep Show. Perhaps Super Hans would shake it up a bit more, though that might put Sir Jeremy Isaacs' legacy at risk. (Sorry if some R3 listeners are not Peep Show addicts.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

This looks pretty grim pessimistic stuff, from what I read in RT.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

Is this the forthcoming series written and directed by Jane Campion? Watching her film The Piano was one of the most tedious experiences I have ever had in the cinema.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                    Sound very "Channel 4-ish" to promote a woman to run it - especially Sophie from The Peep Show. Perhaps Super Hans would shake it up a bit more, though that might put Sir Jeremy Isaacs' legacy at risk. (Sorry if some R3 listeners are not Peep Show addicts.)
                    I think you'll find that Jay Hunt ("chief creative officer") is already in place... Why should promoting a woman to run anything inspire your disdain?

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      I think you'll find that Jay Hunt ("chief creative officer") is already in place... Why should promoting a woman to run anything inspire your disdain?
                      Either you've misinterpreted or I've expressed myself badly. I am very much in favour of Channel 4's agenda - from the wonderful questioning philosophy of Jon Snow and the Ch4 News team, through the drama output and on to the ground-breaking comedy, like The Peep Show. I merely suggested that promoting someone from one of its comedy successes to a senior position would be very much in keeping with the channel's record - and that a non-sexist agenda was part of that record.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        This looks pretty grim pessimistic stuff, from what I read in RT.
                        Gritty urban drama including violence, torture and rape. Might look at episode one purely because Olivia Colman is in it but think Top of the Late (as dismissed by Ferret #9) will be more my sort of thing. Telegraph preview says it's The Killing meets Deliverence.
                        Last edited by Guest; 16-07-13, 13:37. Reason: silly typo

Comment

• Mr Pee
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                          Is this the forthcoming series written and directed by Jane Campion? Watching her film The Piano was one of the most tedious experiences I have ever had in the cinema.
                          The series you are thinking of is "The Top of the Lake" which begins at 9:10pm this evening on BBC2:-

Sounds interesting, and by all acounts is beautiful to look at to boot.

I too enjoyed Broadchurch,and Olivia Colman was superb in that series, however I'm with Serial Apologist on this one. What I've read in RT and elsewhere makes this sound like very grim stuff and I doubt I'll be tuning in.

Besides, I do treat Am51's TV recommendations with a certain degree of scepticism, since he was about the only person in the known universe who thought that "Vicious" was not a complete pile of garbage.
                          Last edited by Mr Pee; 13-07-13, 18:17. Reason: Added link to Telegraph interview
                          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                            The series you are thinking of is "The Top of the Lake" which begins at 9pm this evening on BBC2:-

Sounds interesting, and by all acounts is beautiful to look at to boot.

I too enjoyed Broadchurch,and Olivia Colman was superb in that series, however I'm with Serial Apologist on this one. What I've read in RT and elsewhere makes this sound like very grim stuff and I doubt I'll be tuning in.

Besides, I do treat Am51's TV recommendations with a certain degree of scepticism, since he was about the only person in the known universe who thought that "Vicious" was not a complete pile of garbage.
                            Just dealing with Mr Pee's silly jibe - I'm alerting people to Run, not recommending it, as I haven't seen any of it aside from the trailer.

If you don't agree with Mr Pee, your opinion is of no value, apparently.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              If you don't agree with Mr Pee, your opinion is of no value, apparently.
                              Spot on. First sensible thing you've posted all year.
                              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X