X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Game of Thrones

Am I the only boardee who is hooked on this incredible series? Last week's episode, the penultimate one of Season 3, was described by Entertainment Weekly as containing "probably the most brutal and devastating scene in TV history". And I would agree. There is not much on TV these days that really knocks one for six, but that episode did. I could barely sleep afterwards!

A fine cast, spectacular locations, cinematic levels of special effects and plot lines that rarely go where one expects- and the knowledge that no character is safe from a sudden and brutal end, however heroic and well established they may be.

As the tag line goes, "In the Game of Thrones, you win or you die".

The season Finale is tomorrow night at 9pm on Sky Atlantic...then we have about a year's wait for Season 4, unfortunately.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • VodkaDilc

I've certainly read good things about it, but have not been following it myself.

However I am gearing myself up for the return of The Borgias, on the same channel. Historically, (like The Tudors) it's wide of the mark, but it's wonderfully addictive rubbish, with Jeremy Irons camping it up and enjoying every moment.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
      Am I the only boardee who is hooked on this incredible series?
      Wouldn't say 'hooked' but with great enjoyment I am working my way through Series 1 with Series 2 up and waiting. I watch on DVD... Great production values and some good turns from the very good cast.

I especially like Charles Dance doing 'villainous'- huge treat!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
        I've certainly read good things about it, but have not been following it myself.

However I am gearing myself up for the return of The Borgias, on the same channel. Historically, (like The Tudors) it's wide of the mark, but it's wonderfully addictive rubbish, with Jeremy Irons camping it up and enjoying every moment.
        Oh yes, I'm looking forward to the Borgias as well. It is all ridiculously OTT, not least Jeremy Irons's performance, but it's done with such panache that one can't help but enjoy it.

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Wouldn't say 'hooked' but with great enjoyment I am working my way through Series 1 with Series 2 up and waiting. I watch on DVD... Great production values and some good turns from the very good cast.

I especially like Charles Dance doing 'villainous'- huge treat!
        Stick with it, Cali, and you're in for quite a ride!!

And I'm with you on Charles Dance- he does villainy very well, although Jack Gleeson as Joffrey is surely one of the baddest TV baddies for a very long time. You will find though that as the show progresses the lines between the good and the bad become increasingly blurred- another of the things I like about it!
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I've managed to get right up to date with this series...

I would advise some caution and an empty stomach before watching the last few moments of Season 4, episode 8...

Comment

• Jonathan
            • Mar 2007

We have series 1 and 2 boxed sets which my brother bought us for Christmas. One of ours friends said to us in the pub "what are you doing here then - go and watch it!"

We ignored him but hope to get round to watching it soon...
            Best regards,
            Jonathan

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
              We have series 1 and 2 boxed sets which my brother bought us for Christmas. One of ours friends said to us in the pub "what are you doing here then - go and watch it!"

We ignored him but hope to get round to watching it soon...

Funnily enough, I started quite slowly. It wasn't till I watched season 3 that I concluded that 1 & 2 are a rather long introduction to the real action which starts in 3 and continues in 4. Wagnerian scope, one might say

Comment

• Demetrius
                • Sep 2011

Funnily enough, I started quite slowly. It wasn't till I watched season 3 that I concluded that 1 & 2 are a rather long introduction to the real action which starts in 3 and continues in 4. Wagnerian scope, one might say
                Sadly, they started a bit early - the author is a notoriously slow worker, the 6th book will not come out before 2015; The projected final volume will at his pace (the books are doorstoppers, mind you) not be finished before 2020. The series on the other hand will run out of material long before that. Besides, the children in the series are core characters and the actors are outgrowing their roles. I stalled the series until I get a notion how they will handle these problems.

The books are brilliant, however (as long as you like convoluted political plots with a myriad of characters and stories without the usual good/bad morality of fantasy books.) What I have seen of the first season is incredibly faithful to the books, one of the rare cases were a TV adaption equals its source.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

I watched a few episodes at the urging of my daughter. My wife and I are still trying to recover from finishing Breaking Bad, and I am just not feeling like getting that emotionally involved in a series just yet.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    I watched a few episodes at the urging of my daughter. My wife and I are still trying to recover from finishing Breaking Bad, and I am just not feeling like getting that emotionally involved in a series just yet.
                    Two or three seasons left to see in Caliban Towers! Terrific stuff!

Isn't 'Gustavo Fring' from Los Pollos Hermanos just one of the most mesmerising characters and performances (Giancarlo Esposito) of all time ???

Comment

• Stunsworth
                      • Nov 2010

Isn't 'Gustavo Fring' from Los Pollos Hermanos just one of the most mesmerising characters and performances (Giancarlo Esposito) of all time ???
                      The Wire, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad, three superb TV series. It's interesting that they all deal with the 'dark side'.

If you have three series of BB to watch, you're in for a treat. Has Lydia made an appearance yet?
                      Steve

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Wait until Gus makes his Grand Exit...I don't think that Lydia appears until that occurs.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                          Wait until Gus makes his Grand Exit...I don't think that Lydia appears until that occurs.
                          Yep been there! And Lydia has indeed appeared. That said there's been a break of a few months in watching it. It shall be resumed 'ere long...

Comment

• Sydney Grew
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                            . . . described by Entertainment Weekly as containing "probably the most brutal and devastating scene in TV history".
                            Why do people watch such dreadful things, and think of them as "entertainment"? The circuses part of bread and circuses I suppose. The same in Shakespere's day. Actually I think such programmes - which I would never watch - are part of a plot by the powers that be (or the powers that know) to soften up the population and prepare them for some future time of war and extinction. You will rarely if ever see an erect penis on the tele-vision, but brutality and devastation are constantly exhibited.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Perhaps you are not looking ...hard enough, Syd

Comment

Working...
                              X