Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alain Maréchal
    • Dec 2010

The quotes I used were from the linked item, 8th, so I was aiming at the publicity rather than you. I agree about Fargo, although there's a scene near the end where I have to close my eyes (you know which bit I mean!).

Come to think of it, there's a connection there with Rear Window - as Thelma Ritter says "I want no part of it".

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Ah playing the Thelma Ritter card EH?.... I see your TR and I advance you an Irene Handle....
      Last edited by eighthobstruction; 06-08-13, 11:29.
      bong ching

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
        • Dec 2010

and I play my Florence Bates.

I should perhaps say that I am completely at a loss with cardtable references: I have never been able to master any card came, however simple, and however many times the rules are explained to me. I think its a combination of a forceful protestant grandmere, in whose household cards were satan's footsoldiers, and some mental incapacity of my own.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post

I should perhaps say that I am completely at a loss with cardtable references: I have never been able to master any card came, however simple, and however many times the rules are explained to me. I think its a combination of a forceful protestant grandmere, in whose household cards were satan's footsoldiers, and some mental incapacity of my own.
          Me too (though not the grandma sequence)....I'm the same with puzzles like Siduko (or what ever it is called) etc etc ....crosswords....hopeless....Dyslexic....bungling , bumbling....lacking competative spirit (probably from always loosing to brother in mind games)....

....Joyce Carey....
          bong ching

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
            • Dec 2010

(I'm sure I don't know to what breed you refer...")

No problem with Sudoko - I can do it, I just can't see the point of it. Likewise crosswords, although I used to be keen on the English type of cryptic clue. I still recall when I first realised the the answer to "Orphan's Viewpoint" was PANORAMA; I was so excited I carried the newspaper around my department for days explaining it to anybody who would listen (and many who wouldn't).

I think my problem is something to do with short term visual memory - I could not recall which cards have been played and why we have to do certain things, just as I cannot go shopping without a list even for five items.

(now there's a thesis - Crosswords/Cartoon Strips: explain the cultural differences in English and French Society)

I have Mary Boland up my sleeve, by the way...

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
              • Dec 2010

p.s. I think Florenee Bates has one of the naughtiest lines in any Hitchcock film, when she learns that The Girl is engaged to Mr. de Winter:

"tell me, have you been doing anything you shouldn't?"

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

A woman of range....Kay Walsh....
                bong ching

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                  • Dec 2010

Kay Walsh. I confess you had me there. I had to look her up, and find that although is in many films I know, I couldn't place her. I was surprised to learn that she divorced David Lean because of his adultery with Ann Todd. Surprised, because the idea of Ann Todd being a sensual woman had just never occured to me - and so I looked her up, and was I suprised! Having spent many hours of my life in darkened cinemas perhaps I equate the actor with the character they most often play.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

There are no raunchy, sexy photos of Anne Todd on google....whereas Anne Heywood (cough ahem)....Maybe there is a slight difference in the times they were famous, but not that much surely....but in Heywoods case publicity photos seem to have moved on to a more modern expose....
                    bong ching

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Leaving the Forum's Pete and Dud to their exchanges ("Bloody Greta Garbo!")...

... back to the Returned: I watched the last one yesterday evening. I partly agree with Draco, I think it did lose its way somewhat... but I didn't think it turned into a joke, I'm with Anna - it was still absorbing and I enjoyed the atmosphere and the twists and turns, less so in the last couple of episodes, but I think I'd prefer to leave with lots of questions than an artificially neat conclusion like Poirot in the library - I agree with Anna

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      how could all loose ends be tied up with the knowledge of a second series.

However, the more you watched the more you didn't know. Why did Victor cause the coach crash? Mme. Costa (and why was her husband so terrified of her he commited suicide?) foretold the drowned would take revenge - well they have in that the new town was flooded, what further revenge will they want? Is there a new town to be built? Who pulled Serge under the water and why was he not reunited with the other living dead? Will Toni rise again? Will Adele's baby cause a tug-of-love? What about Creepy Pierre and The Resurrection he believes in?

Frankly, I don't know but I have enjoyed all episodes.

Incidentally, I didn't pick up that it was the new town which had flooded, I thought that it was the water-level having dropped even further and revealed more of the old town....

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

N'n'n'n'n'n'n .....I agree with Anna....n'n'n'n'n'n'....I've been on holiday n'n'n'n'n'n'....I agree with Anna....n'n'n'n'n'n
                        bong ching

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          [COLOR="#0000FF"]Leaving the Forum's Pete and Dud to their exchanges ("Bloody Greta Garbo!")...
                          He's talking about us, 8th! Do you get the impression that Caliban would always steer dinner table conversation back to his opening topic?

Since we have to stick aux Revenants, then no, I would not like to be left with lots of questions - that's what Real Life is for. This is fiction, and although I do not require that the good end happily and the bad end unhappily, I do like my questions answered. Since it was so highly recommended many years ago I bought a set of Lost, but gave up after several episodes when I realised that explanations of the strange events were unlikely to be made (also it did nothing to help my my fear of flying). In the case of Les Revenants I had no idea what was going on right from the beginning; the irrational and supernatural has always bored me.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            N'n'n'n'n'n'n .....I agree with Anna....n'n'n'n'n'n'....I've been on holiday n'n'n'n'n'n'....I agree with Anna....n'n'n'n'n'n

He's talking about us, 8th! Do you get the impression that Caliban would always steer dinner table conversation back to his opening topic?

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                              • Dec 2010

"The port is with you, I think, your grace".

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

"The port is with you, I think, your grace".
                                "The Reverend Lord Henry was not one of those new-fangled parsons who carry the principles of their vocation uncomfortably into private life."

Comment

Working...
                                X