X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
    "Back in 1943 zombies were more genteel", Ferretfancy.

If I remember correctly, which is most unlikely, the Zombies back then were proportionately more scary than the later manifestations, hilariously taken off by Father Ted and Co.
    I hear a calypso.........

Her eyes are open
    But she cannot see.
    Shame and sorrow for the familee..........

Ring a bell. Ff?
    I think I must invest in the Jacques Tourneur box of DVDs, if there is one, and refresh my memory. That swimming pool scene in Cat People is pretty creepy, you never really see anything, but it's chilling just the same.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

could not manage more than the first fifteen minutes, did i miss owt?
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

no, you didn't miss much....imo
        bong ching

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

I did enjoy it ; whether I stay the course is still in doubt...

It certainly has much in common with Twin Peaks - if you liked that, you may well like this. But there is not the David Lynch black humour here - it is very French in taking itself just a little too seriously. Characteristically French also in how very beautifully it is photographed.

I enjoyed the typically Channel 4 conceit - the first ad slot was entirely advertisements in French...

I shall certainly be watching episode two next week.
          Last edited by vinteuil; 10-06-13, 15:08.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Yes, I thought Twin Peaks too, but without the eccentricity and zany characters....I think that male doctor is going to be annoying....very much an ' I'd like to slap his face visage'....

....are those typical French new houses??....
            bong ching

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              I did enjoy it; whether I stay the course is still in doubt...

It certainly has much in common with Twin Peaks - if you liked that, you may well like this. But there is not the David Lynch black humour here - it is very French in taking itself just a little too seriously. Characteristically French also in how very beautifully it is photographed.

I enjoyed the typically Channel 4 conceit - the first ad slot was entirely advertisements in French...

I shall certainly be watching episode two next week.
              That very much echoes my view having now seen the first episode - save that I'm fairly sure I will stay the course. Intriguing and enjoyable, good acting and music, and yes great filming.

The Euro-Lynch thing was a wee bit obvious - stabbed young woman, creepy little boy, telepathic twins though...

(But, apart from the first ad break with the amusing French adverts, the frequency of the other breaks was infuriating - I'm sure they were closer together than normal on C4, almost approaching US levels of irritatingness. Watching a recorded copy meant one could fastforward - but still an atmosphere-killer Watching the thing as it's broadcast, with full-length breaks, would be intolerable. If only it were on BBC2 HD...)
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

I am also in agreement with vinteuil, not exactly gripped but intrigued enough to keep watching, on the proviso that it maintains the psychological themes of loss, belonging, and how people and communities react to change rather than a series of graphic murders. It'll be interesting when the investigating Police officer makes an appearance plus - why is the water level in the dam falling? So I'll definitely be watching, whether to the end - I don't know yet.

As for the ads, there were just the normal four breaks - totally annoying and the reason why I hardly ever watch commerical tv drama (unless it's something I really want to like Broadchurch recently)

Comment

• Anna

So, at the risk of replying to myself ... I guess only Caliban, Vinteuil and myself might watch Les Revs tonight - or shall we be swayed by Phillipa Gregory's White Queen, on at the same time on BBC? No doubt a splendid, historically inaccurate, bodice ripper, atmospherically filmed in Bruges, ooh, there's pretty, look at the buildings, child marriages to secure dynasties, underage sex, bit more bodice ripping, and does Richard III come into it ..... Well I know Max Irons does! Oh, decisions, decisions.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    So, at the risk of replying to myself ... I guess only Caliban, Vinteuil and myself might watch Les Revs tonight - or shall we be swayed by Phillipa Gregory's White Queen, on at the same time on BBC? No doubt a splendid, historically inaccurate, bodice ripper, atmospherically filmed in Bruges, ooh, there's pretty, look at the buildings, child marriages to secure dynasties, underage sex, bit more bodice ripping, and does Richard III come into it ..... Well I know Max Irons does! Oh, decisions, decisions.
                    I shall also be watching Les Revenants. I thought the first episode was wonderful stuff- gripping, moving, intriguing- and of course rather unsettling. Beautifully shot to boot. I was hooked from the opening titles!

Historical bodice rippers are ten a penny, aren't they, whereas Les Revs is a true original. And anyway, there's a new season of The Borgias starting on Sky Atlantic tomorrow night, with Jeremy Irons camping it up to the Nth degree. That will do me for bodice ripping, of which there will be plenty if previous seasons are anything to go by!! And it will hopefully help to ease my Game of Thrones withdrawal symptoms now that the third season has come to an end.
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Oh, decisions, decisions.
                      Oh, video recorders, video recorders.

The Returned shall be recorded for late night savouring with a glass of something, and a fast-forwarding of the ∏‡°±‹‡°·@$%^*‹›‡°‹‡°ing adverts....

Might give the bodice ripper a try 'live'...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Oh, video recorders, video recorders.
                        The Returned shall be recorded for late night savouring with a glass of something, and a fast-forwarding of the ∏‡°±‹‡°·@$%^*‹›‡°‹‡°ing adverts....
                        Might give the bodice ripper a try 'live'...
                        Ooh, I say, ripping me bodice live - That's a first for me on ITV!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Ooh, I say, ripping me bodice live - That's a first for me on ITV!!
                          It's BBC... no adverts to interrupt...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            It's BBC... no adverts to interrupt...
                            Oh, I get confused between Zombies with adverts and Bodice Rippers with the Boredom Factor, adverts and random bodice ripping I think equal narco - cannot spell it!!

Comment

• amateur51

Oh, I get confused between Zombies with adverts and Bodice Rippers with the Boredom Factor, adverts and random bodice ripping I think equal narco - cannot spell it!!
                              All that and Wales' losing to Japan at rugby yesterday - recipe for flustration* I'd say

*a neologism, compound of frustation and flustered

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna
                                Well, By George, he's got it!!
                                George North? NOW you're talking (but my belongs to Leigh :sigh: )

Comment

Working...
                                X