• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

The Returned (Les Revenants), Channel 4, Sunday evenings

I for one shall be watching this French series which starts tomorrow evening on C4. By all accounts gripping and classily made, it's a supernatural thriller that has received almost universal praise (it was broadcast in France last winter). The BBC4 'Review Show' critics were enthusiastic a couple of weeks ago.

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Yes, it sounds most intriguing. I shall record to watch later as it clashes with the Canadian GP. Dismal qualifying by the two McLarens, but if the weather''s damp, as it was today, anything could happen!!
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
      • Nov 2011

Thanks for the alert. I'll do exactly as Mr Pee will (even though there's only a 10-minute overlap).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

That will be my strategy too - especially as the race could overrun if it's wet...

There seems a tight correlation so far between Formula 1 watching and upmarket French zombie drama

I'm sure some wag will come along and elucidate...

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
          Thanks for the alert. I'll do exactly as Mr Pee will (even though there's only a 10-minute overlap).
          I'll be watching the race on Sky, where the coverage goes on until 10pm- or possibly later. Remember 2011? I think the race over-ran by at least an hour!!

Les Revenants really does sound very interesting.
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Anna

Just catching up on yesterday's Times, it says: The Returned deals with the question of how we might respond to the people we love dying but then coming back. The series takes the risen-dead narrative to a new level of sophistication –and shows that zombies no longer have to be just anonymous shuffling corpses. I shall definitely watch.

I also read elsewhere that C4 have entered into the spirit of broadcasting in a foreign language and the first ad-break will be in French with English sub-titles!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              Just catching up on yesterday's Times, it says: The Returned deals with the question of how we might respond to the people we love dying but then coming back. The series takes the risen-dead narrative to a new level of sophistication –and shows that zombies no longer have to be just anonymous shuffling corpses. I shall definitely watch.
              Wasn't this dealt with rather successfully in Anthony Minghella's remarkable Truly Madly Deeply in 1991?
              Last edited by Guest; 09-06-13, 13:06. Reason: date addition

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Wasn't this dealt with rather successfully in Anthony Minghella's remarkable Truly Madly Deeply in 1991?

... tout à fait!! assez de ces absurdités français
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

It would be a very boring life if a story could only be told once, one way...

Shakespeare'd have been out of a job, for starters!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    It would be a very boring life if a story could only be told once, one way...

Shakespeare'd have been out of a job, for starters!

Very true Cali but I read the Times review as saying that this was tackling the issue for the first time - I'm probably wrong

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Very true Cali but I read the Times review as saying that this was tackling the issue for the first time - I'm probably wrong
                      Oh I see... Yes, I haven't read the review - from Anna's summary I suppose they were just drawing the distinction from the recent widespread examples of mass 'returns' taking the form of decomposing 'undead' shuffling around the place, arms outstretched and mumbling "ngurghghghgghgnnnnnnghghghg"... (or is that the House of Lords? I may be getting confused )

Comment

• Anna

I didn't post the entire Times piece for fear of plot spoilers! I think they mean tackling zombies in a new way, this is from their tv section:
                        "The Returned is being billed as a Gallic zombie drama, which is only partly true. There are no limping undead, moaning and groaning as they seek a chunk of human flesh to chow down on, so in that sense it is a very different proposition to The Walking Dead. The emphasis is on the emotional complexities of loved ones coming back from the dead. It is more of a domestic drama with hints of the supernatural, spooky rather than gory and shocking, and in keeping with all the best recent tv dramas there are plenty of twists to keep the viewers on their toes"
                        Edit: Oops, crossed with Caliban!

Comment

• amateur51

Oh I see... Yes, I haven't read the review - from Anna's summary I suppose they were just drawing the distinction from the recent widespread examples of mass 'returns' taking the form of decomposing 'undead' shuffling around the place, arms outstretched and mumbling "ngurghghghgghgnnnnnnghghghg"... (or is that the House of Lords? I may be getting confused )

Did you know that the phenomenon of zombies arrived only as late as 1968? - twas on the radio last evening

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            Edit: Oops, crossed with Caliban!
                            But in perfect harmony, as ever...!

Comment

• amateur51

But in perfect harmony, as ever...!
                              Oh that's how you are able to wear a cycling helmet to work and yet are able still to have 'big hair' in the office, Caliban

Comment

Working...
                              X