X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Tom Sharpe has died

The humorous and sometime satirical British writer Tom Sharpe has died.

The life and career of Tom Sharpe, the British author of such satirical novels as Riotous Assembly, Porterhouse Blue and the Wilt series.

I confess that I found his first two novels (Riotous Assembly and Indecent Assault about South Africa under apartheid) to be genuinely satirical and very funny but the rest became a bit of an uphill struggle. Mind you I was in my early 20s when I read the first two

• LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    I confess that I found his first two novels (Riotous Assembly and Indecent Assault about South Africa under apartheid) to be genuinely satirical and very funny but the rest became a bit of an uphill struggle. Mind you I was in my early 20s when I read the first two
    My reactions exactly am51. In those two S African novels you feel he's attacking a proper target for satire, and going completely OTT with the humour and situations is OK for such a grotesque political system. But when he transfers to England he's not tackling any clear and worthy target, he's just trying to screw laughs out of increasingly absurd plots and situations.

OK, he usually squeezed a few laughs out of me, but IMO it was often unrewarding work digging through to them!

Nevertheless, RIP Tom Sharpe - two excellent books is two more than most of us write!
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Pegleg
      • Apr 2012

I never read much of Tom Sharpe, I did enjoy the BBC TV adaptation of "blot on the landscape" which had an excellent cast, and changed me from a bathroom singer into a one man brassband. RIP

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Porterhouse Blue was excellent on tv with wonderful performances from John Sessions, David Jason and the entire cast.

Comment

Working...
        X