Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

Ferretfancy #9, I wonder if it is the case that all comedians are much more blue than you might think from their performances on the Beeb. I recall seeing Victoria Wood's television shows some years ago and thinking she was very funny,so jumped at the opportunity to see her live on stage at a theatre in Oxford. Well, she was still very funny, but oh boy, was she rude! There were quite a few jokes there that would have made Auntie's toes curl.

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

Yes, Douglas Smith - an unforgettable episode where DS alters his script as he felt "gat" was a misprint for "cat". And, as he had rehearsed all the cat impressions, he insisted on doing them instead of the gat impressions.

"A bullet winged past my ear."

"Meow."

Comment

• amateur51

The Joy of Youtube ... more memories of Kenneth Horne & Much Binding from Dickie Murdoch 'live' and doing a few of his 'silly songs' too

Essentially a star of Radio, former chorus boy Richard Murdoch first enjoyed national fame teamed with Arthur Askey in a series titled 'Band Waggon' which ra...

Phee-eew!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          A wonderful thread - I echo the plea for more memories from FerretFancy.

Were you at this recording for example FF?
          An early performance of the British radio comedy "Much Binding In The Marsh" performed live before a studio audience.

J. Peasmold Gruntfuttock and Ramblln Syd Rumpo (the Grungerman of Lowestoft) definitely did need the support of KH to be their liberated selves but he was definitely more than a straight man...
          globaltruth

Six years before my BBC life began unfortunately!

It was great to see the brief shot of the gram swinger on the old TD7 turntables in the control room. The reaction shots of the audience look a bit Pythonesque, don't they? Remember the lovely Dora Bryan as the telephone operator ? " Switchbooooooard! " She will be 90 years old next year, and must be the last survivor of a much loved show.

Much Binding started during the war when they had three comedy series running, one for each branch of the Armed Services. I've forgotten the name of the Army one with Charlie Chester, but the third was The Navy Lark. The other famous show was of course ITMA, but all those catch phrases are hard to enjoy today. Still Tommy Handley was the first radio comedian to get a knighthood.

Just before I left radio for a job in TV I did manage to see a lunchtime show with Max Miller topping the bill. This was his return to the Beeb after a period of disgrace for telling a famously naughty joke. The Studio manager hovered over the cut button throughout, but it went without a hitch. Although hugely popular on radio, he really had to be seen on stage, and I remember his extraordinary clothes and the total rapport with the audience right from the word go. It's a shame that so little has survived on film or disc.

My most vivid memory is not of comedy, but music. I think it was in 1958 0r 1959 when the BBC invited Paul Robeson to record a series of half hour programmes at Aeolian Hall. The producer was John Browell. The great man had been very much out of favour with the US authorities at the time because of his alleged communist activities, in fact they had only just returned his passport, so strict security operated in the studio. Robeson's presence was a complete secret, windows in the studio doors were blocked out and we were all forbidden to say what was happening.

During the sessions a waitress arrived with tea on a trolley, and we were all invited to join Paul Robeson, his wife, and his pianist. I was very young then,but I don't think that I have ever met anyone more impressive since, although it's hard to explain why. It wasn't just the wonderful voice, but the amazing dignity and grace. People who have met Nelson Mandela say the same thing, but it's hard to describe.
          Those tapes must be somewhere in the archive, to the best of my knowledge they have not been broadcast again or issued on disc.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            The Joy of Youtube ... more memories of Kenneth Horne & Much Binding from Dickie Murdoch 'live' and doing a few of his 'silly songs' too

Essentially a star of Radio, former chorus boy Richard Murdoch first enjoyed national fame teamed with Arthur Askey in a series titled 'Band Waggon' which ra...

Phee-eew!
            Oooh thank you ams. I csn still sing, but won't, something like [tune Egyptian Ballet]

My aunt's name is Emma Wheeler Waterbut, and she lives down at Burton on Trent,
            When she goes outshopping on her bicycle, she always gets her handlebars bent.........etc,etc.

Ams I swear I hadn't heard your youtube clip. Think it was Murdoch's favourite too :smiley
            Last edited by salymap; 28-05-13, 15:13.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Ferret, thanks for your wonderful memories. Just the thing to brighten this wet dark day here.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                Oooh thank you ams. I csn still sing, but won't, something like [tune Egyptian Ballet]

When she goes outshopping on her bicycle, she always gets her handlebars bent.........etc,etc.

Ams I swear I hadn't heard your youtube clip. Think it was Murdoch's favourite too :smiley
                well done, salymap!

Here's Des O'Connor using Nola for his film star schtick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXL2Eb9YICk

Comment

• Pegleg
                  • Apr 2012

I think its Ferret that we need to get down on tape. Amazing stories.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by salymap View Post

When she goes out shopping on her bicycle, she always gets her handlebars bent.........etc,etc.
                    Aberdeen! For lovely houses...
                    Gabardine! For lovely trouses...

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                      Aberdeen! For lovely houses...
                      Gabardine! For lovely trouses...
                      Butdid you hear Richard Murdoch Don? What speed, even in fairly old age. Ihave some CDs of the show somewhere. Itwasgood fun - I enjoyed it more than ITMA actually.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                        • Nov 2010

"Force meat balls are very indigestible
                        Especially when they're covered in cheese
                        You can eat them sitting in a vestibule
                        Or you can eat them fried with peas"

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                          I've forgotten the name of the Army one with Charlie Chester
                          "Studio Stand Easy" ??

Old Time Radio of the 1940s, from England. Comedy. This is a collection of BBC radio comedies: Band Waggon starring Arthur Askey and Richard Murdoch; ITMA...

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

I remember more than once dissolving into uncontrollable hysterics when I can't have been older than about 8-9 years old. The great scripts of Took and Feldman and others could tickle children and adults alike.

It made my day as a teenager a few years later when I glimpsed Marty Feldman, a fanatical Chelsea fan, at close quarters, eyes bulging, outside Stamford Bridge.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              That was it! Alhough I think it was just called "Stand Easy" Charlie Chester was very popular, but I found him irritating, Ted Ray and Kitty Bluett were a pain too! ( Nothing like sweeping generalisations ! )

Comment

• Tevot
                                • Nov 2010

"Omies and palones of the jury, vada well at the eek of the poor ome who stands before you, his lallies trembling..."

I must admit to being in nappies the first time RTH was aired - but I got to know the show whenever it was repeated over the years. The show imho is of its time but there is much in it that still is fresh. Credit surely to the writers - Messrs Took and Feldman (indeed Barry Took then went on to contribute briefly to Rowan and Martin's Laugh in - another glorious show.) Credit too to the Kenneths - Williams and Horne. Horne was a brilliant foil / straight man - and I wonder whether the BBC consciously used this template with Humphrey Lyttleton as compere / host of "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" when it began several years after RTH ended?

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

Working...
                                X