• Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Feynman

BBC 2 2130 today

more value for the license fee
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

Wow. Thanks for that - he was quite bright really, wasn't he?
    And the transcripts of his lectures are legendary.

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

I do urge people to watch this. Not only was Feynman remarkable physicist (and Nobel Prize winner) but he was a brilliant lecturer and communicator as well.

"Quite bright" is classic British understatement!
      Last edited by johnb; 12-05-13, 14:06.

Comment

• Zucchini
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
        "Quite bright" is classic British understatement!
        Quite so - so I'll change that to "genius"!

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
          I do urge people to watch this. Not only was Feynman remarkable physicist (and Nobel Prize winner) but he was a brilliant lecturer and communicator.
          They're re-showing 'Challenger' before the doc, which I found very enjoyable and interesting. I thought William Hurt did a really good job as a Washington weary Feynman approaching his end.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Ah, I was in the process of providing a link to johnb's earlier post when my cousin arrived with some tomato plants. I see all enthusiasts have now been united. I think there was an even earlier thread that was recommending Feynman's writings.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              BBC 2 2130 today

more value for the license fee
              I was looking forward to this but found it a bit disappointing in the end - it felt like a bit of a cheap, slapped together effort, disguised by an over-the-top music soundtrack. Did no service to RF at all.

Comment

• Pikaia

I enjoyed the programme too, but I also found the soundtrack very irritating. Annoying background music is all too common these days. They even put drumming on gardening programmes - just what you want to hear when you are admiring a garden!

I have been a fan of Feynman for many years - his book "Surely you're Joking, Mr. Feynman" is wonderful. I love the story of how he was classified as mentally defective by the US Army!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

no programme could live up to this subject but this one was a disappointment in some measure - soundtrack and no explanation of the diagrams [they hate math at the bbc] .... i did not need to know he was amusing so much as to understand his brilliance in substantive terms, not because we say so .... still marks for trying [alpha -]
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                  X