X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Pappano's essential Ring Cycle BBC4

Scanning through next week's Radio Times, next Friday (17th May), 7:30-9pm on BBC4, Tony Pappano presents a guide to the Ring Cycle to mark Wagner's bi-centenary. Here's a bit of the blurb:-

It is easy to be daunted by Wagner's great opus, putting it in the "I'll get around to it" category of difficult masterworks along with Ulyssses and the complete boxed set of the Wire.
    Help is here in the charismatic form of Antonio Pappano, musical director of the Royal Opera House. He and his orchestra provide a guide to the music, while Pappano films in London, Switzerland and Germany as he explores Wagner's personality.
    A visit to Wagner's own theatre in Bayreuth, Bavaria, explains how the building informed the Ring's grand ambitions. Bryn Terfel is among the contributors to a film aimed at both newbies and experts.
    I have really enjoyed Pappano's previous forays into TV documentaries, and I am sure this will be an interesting and informative film.

Just one question- why the blinkin' heck isn't it being shown in HD?
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
Working...
X