X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Wagner Season on Sky Arts 2

I'm a bit late flagging this up as Wagner's Dream and the Met's new Das Rheingold were on last week, but as regular viewers will know I don't like to bang on about Sky Arts too much.

Anyhoo, in the same slots this weekend are Die Walkure on Sunday at 8pm, and at the same time on Saturday, the first part (3 hours!) of Tony Palmer's epic film biography of the composer, with Richard Burton as the man himself, part two to follow next week. I'm really looking forward to seeing this, because I have never watched it before, and it seems to be currently unavailable on DVD or Blu-Ray.

The Met Ring I have already seen, but for those of you that haven't, it's well worth catching; I think the production really came into its own with Walkure, and this is the "A" list cast, Kaufmann, Terfel, et al.

Both programmes are of course repeated at various times through the week if you can't catch them at the weekend.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • Richard Tarleton

Thanks for the heads-up Mr Pee.

I think you'll find the Tony Palmer film is readily available at Amazon - it's been remastered and reissued.

From Wikipedia:
    Tony Palmer's original concept of Wagner was as a feature film. It lasted 7 hours 46 minutes, but it was later edited down to a 5-hour version in which some characters disappeared. Later the film was screened in episodes on television. In 2011 it was re-released in a three-DVD set in its full original version as a feature film, in high definition and widescreen.

I watched it on TV (Channel 4?) in the 1980's and recently on DVD. Stunningly filmed, but this time round I have to say it seems far too long and directorially self-indulgent. A lot of scenes of Wagner on the move in snowy landscapes, piano strapped to a cart, passing the same frontier post several times A remarkable cast. Worth a watch but keep a finger on the fast-forward (having recorded it on your Sky+HD box )

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Can anybody explain to me why many of the performers who create the Wagnerian female roles are very often on the larger size?

This is meant as a genuine question:
      Last edited by DracoM; 08-05-13, 10:04.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Are they? & when you say 'larger', do you mean larger than the average singer, or larger than the population average, or something else?

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

here you go.

scientific facts....ish......

Not man enough for the job?
          Sir Antonio Pappano, who is one of the world's leading opera conductors, criticised singers for pulling out of productions too easily, saying at times this was due to illness but at others simply due to a lack of commitment.

but the future is stick shaped apparently.
          Opera's new breed of slight, scantily clad sopranos take the plaudits at the Salzburg festival
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            here you go.

scientific facts....ish......

Not man enough for the job?
            Sir Antonio Pappano, who is one of the world's leading opera conductors, criticised singers for pulling out of productions too easily, saying at times this was due to illness but at others simply due to a lack of commitment.

but the future is stick shaped apparently.
            http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...slimline-divas
            Very many thanks. Extremely helpful.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

sensible info re your question is hard to come by, DracoM !
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
              X