• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

A303: Highway to the Sun,

Writer Tom Fort travels along the 92-mile-long-road from Basingstoke to Honiton, charting its
    troubled history and visiting the historic sites through which it passes, including Stonehenge. I glanced at it, was hooked and all I can say is that Tom Fort did a good job, making an interesting and informative programme about a road I hardly know. BBC4 8pm on the 4th, repeated at 11.15pm next Wednesday.
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Yes Salymap that's been on a couple of times before (Why do BBC3/4 not put R (repeat) on theit MANY repeats)....Still whenever you watch it: a nicely paced prog about ordinary/extraordinary places....Same man did a similar prog about the River Trent ....equally revealing in it's own way....
    bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      Why do BBC3/4 not put R (repeat) on theit MANY repeats
      I guess either because they haven't been shown on BBC4 before (regardless of how many repeats there've been on other channels); or because they have this image of a BBC4 viewer as someone who has just emerged, Sleeping Beauty-like, from a long, long kip.

Comment

• Anna

I'd marked this down as a possible watch ( I find it does say repeat in the schedule), however I forgot and now I find it was first broadcast in May 2011 so cannot remember if I did see it first time. Not that I know the route until it gets to Stonehenge but I once went to Basingstoke for a wedding. Anyway, it's available until the 16th.
        Tom Fort whisks us through the landscape around the A303 road and 5,000 years of history.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Sorry, itdoesn't say 'Repeat' at the bottomof the entry in R4. JustRepeated Wedn at 11,15pm{S} [subtitles}

Anyway it was new to me and confess I don't remember Tom Fort Someone on the boards will be interested in the references to Larkhill Barracks near Stonehenge.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            Sorry, itdoesn't say 'Repeat' at the bottomof the entry in R4. JustRepeated Wedn at 11,15pm{S} [subtitles}
            Anyway it was new to me and confess I don't remember Tom Fort
            No, it only says Repeat in the online schedule saly, I think sometimes the RT is a bit lazy with this kind of information.... I wish I could remember the Church in Basingstoke where the wedding was, it was old and the graveyard was very interesting. The bride looked as if she was wearing a meringue (a pavlova?), the reception was in a village hall with a rather dire buffet and some dodgy rice salad. Gosh! Happy memories!

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Her dress sounds more edible than the buffet Anna

Comment

• Gordon
                • Nov 2010

There is also a book based on the same journey:

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Its a road I know all too well.
                  I would have represented this poorly thought out, under constructed, unfeasibly slow and annoying road rather differently......
                  But no doubt the film is a fine piece of Art !
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 05-05-13, 23:12.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    Her dress sounds more edible than the buffet Anna
                    It's very difficult to wear bright white synthetic flounces whilst having a sallow complexion! <ooh, that was bitchy!) I am sure they are both still happily wed!

Comment

Working...
                    X