X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Secret life of rockpools

Drama - loved it - it's a jungle in there - who'd have thought it, staring into those Atlantic rockpools last week. The fight between the starfish and the limpet was especially incredible. A great bit of BBC. Fine pair of braces too.
    Professor Richard Fortey embarks on a quest to discover the lives of rock pool creatures.
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

This should have been on BBC HD....oh wait, they've scrapped it!!
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Sydney Grew
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

I expect there was continual background music? I can't watch anything from the B.B.C. these days for that reason - a decided dampener.

Comment

• gamba
        Late member
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
        I expect there was continual background music? I can't watch anything from the B.B.C. these days for that reason - a decided dampener.
        How true. The same occurs with all radio programmes. I now utilise the subtitles facility for any item i feel is possibly worth watching on TV - a rare occurrence

I have complained - waste of time.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
          Didn't notice the music, Sydney - it was a great mix of seaside filming and stuff in the lab, with a really enthusiastic group of experts supporting paleontologist, Richard Fortey. I thought it was quite nicely amateurish, and I don't mean that in a bad way.

Comment

• Jonathan
            • Mar 2007

I'm glad we recorded it then! My money would be on the (bearing in mind I've not yet watched it so may not be this species) Patella vulgata against the starfish...
            Best regards,
            Jonathan

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              Didn't notice the music, Sydney - it was a great mix of seaside filming and stuff in the lab, with a really enthusiastic group of experts supporting paleontologist, Richard Fortey. I thought it was quite nicely amateurish, and I don't mean that in a bad way.
              Ditto. A carpet of musak normally irritates me (the latest Attenborough series have been rendered unwatchable imo) but I didn't notice it in the rockpool programme. Enjoyed here
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pikaia

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Ditto. A carpet of musak normally irritates me (the latest Attenborough series have been rendered unwatchable imo) but I didn't notice it in the rockpool programme. Enjoyed here
                I agree with everyone's comments about Muzak on the BBC, and I also enjoyed the programme - for once I didn't feel the need to use the subtitles. Fortey has also written several books - I have read "Dry Store Room No. 1: The Secret Life Of The Natural History Museum" and "Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution", which are both enjoyable, especially the former.

Comment

• Anna

Only just noticed this thread - hadn't realised the programme was on, I see it's available until April 28th, must catch up, so thanks. One of the joys of British seaside holidays, to me, was to go searching in rockpools and seeing what was there - fascinating to see an underwater world and what was hiding under the weed and the rocks. (Also I think it started my rock collection phase, although I think most children have one of these? I still have some of the rocks and pebbles ....!! Plus a couple of ammonites from a Dorset beach and some iron pyrites and amethysts from, I think, a stream in Co. Durham?)

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pikaia View Post
                    I agree with everyone's comments about Muzak on the BBC, and I also enjoyed the programme - for once I didn't feel the need to use the subtitles. Fortey has also written several books - I have read "Dry Store Room No. 1: The Secret Life Of The Natural History Museum" and "Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution", which are both enjoyable, especially the former.
                    Seconded Caliban - especially the Trilobite book (as a Geology graduate, I found this especially good)
                    Best regards,
                    Jonathan

Comment

• Pikaia

I see it is repeated tonight at 10pm.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        Drama - loved it - it's a jungle in there - who'd have thought it, staring into those Atlantic rockpools last week. The fight between the starfish and the limpet was especially incredible. A great bit of BBC. Fine pair of braces too.
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...of_Rock_Pools/
                        Agreed - orthodontics is a remarkable science
                        Last edited by Guest; 21-04-13, 16:40. Reason: colour!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Agreed - orthodontics is a remarkable science

Did I say braces, Am? I meant gallasses!
                          Last edited by johncorrigan; 21-04-13, 17:07. Reason: I think that's what Oor Wullie would say, onyway!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gamba View Post
                            How true. The same occurs with all radio programmes [...] I have complained - waste of time.
                            I would like to think I imagined this but I think I heard a trail on Radio Three a few days ago, with that irritating beat behind the voice, like it's Radio 1!, (or sitting next to a teenager on the tube).
                            Last edited by kernelbogey; 22-04-13, 07:27.

Comment

Working...
                            X