• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

High Art Low Countries

Andrew Graham-Dixon is on fine form in Part 2 of this series ... caught the last part where he discusses the townscape of Delft by Vermeer and quite lost interest in the footie ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    Andrew Graham-Dixon is on fine form in Part 2 of this series ... caught the last part where he discusses the townscape of Delft by Vermeer and quite lost interest in the footie ...
    Totally agree Calum.

As I mentioned on the AA thread, I feel he strikes the right balance between erudition and accessibility in his presentations and the art itself is just...well...awe-inspiring, in particular, for me, the late Rembrandt self-portraits and Vermeer.

Comment

• Anna

Don't understand footie. I have a book, AJAX The Dutch, The War, Europe during seccnd WW2, it's by Simon Kuper.

Not read it it, anyone want it?

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Andrew Graham-Dixon is on fine form ...
        ... I agree.

Good to see this as a separate thread - there has been some mention of the programme in the AA zone -

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... loved it. He was good on the protestant iconoclasm behind the marvellous Saenredams, he was excellent on Rembrandt, and his presentation of Vermeer's View of Delft was a joy - made me re-read the death of Bergotte in Proust to remind myself how important that yellow patch of wall was...

Comment

• Tapiola
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Don't understand footie. I have a book, AJAX The Dutch, The War, Europe during seccnd WW2, it's by Simon Kuper.

Not read it it, anyone want it?
          That sounds right up my street. (I have a vested interest.)

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Haven't seen part 2 yet due to hols, but part one was fascinating especially AGD's take on Bruegel's 'Fall of Icarus', and the Bosch's 'Christ carrying the Cross'. Highlight for me, however, was the illuminated manuscript which was glorious and led on to Van Eyck's altarpiece in Ghent - pretty mind blowing, I thought. Mrs C and I thought it looked worth a visit.
            The Ghent Altarpiece and Further Works by Jan Van Eyck
            Last edited by johncorrigan; 15-04-13, 13:13. Reason: thought bruegel was breugel....

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              thought bruegel was breugel
              ... or indeed Brueghel -

"Pieter Bruegel (about 1525-69), usually known as Pieter Bruegel the Elder to distinguish him from his elder son, was the first in a family of Flemish painters. He spelled his name Brueghel until 1559, and his sons retained the "h" in the spelling of their names. "

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                Highlight for me, however, was the illuminated manuscript which was glorious and led on to Van Eyck's altarpiece in Ghent - pretty mind blowing, I thought. Mrs C and I thought it looked worth a visit.
                It is - seeing it in reality is unforgettable

And I agree - that illuminated manuscript was extraordinary!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                X