X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LHC
    • Jan 2011

The end of BBCHD

I see from next week's Radio Times that the BBC HD channel is to be replaced by BBC2 HD from 26 March.

I don't think there has been much discussion of this, but it seems to me that this is retrograde step. Most of the programmes I watch originate on BBC4 and whenever possible I watch them in their HD incarnations on BBC HD. This includes numerous arts documentaries and the Scandi-noir series such as the Killing and the Bridge. Even some BBC4 concerts and operas are also shown in HD. This will no longer possible unless there is to be a shift in BBC2's output, which I think is unlikely.

One of the reasons for establishing BBC4 was to allow the BBC to move its more intellectually stimulating programmes away from BBC2 (BBC4's original strapline was 'a place to think'), thereby allowing BBC2 to devote its energies to cookery programmes and repeats. I doubt that this will change, so all those arts programmes will no longer be available in HD. Nor will the next series of Borgen or the Bridge.
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

I noticed that as well- it's all been kept very quiet, hasn't it? I thought at first that the RT had just misprinted the listings. It will be a shame if some BBC4 programmes are no longer given a HD airing; like yourself I much prefer to watch in HD whenever possible. Indeed, if I am not sure whether to watch a programme, it's availability or otherwise in HD will often sway my decision one way or the other.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Ditto, saw an on-screen announcement only last night, haven't had time to compute the consequences. Often BBChd was BBC2HD - I think that was the case with the last Borgen, wasn't it? I imagine that they will put all Scandi-drams on BBC2 now as they are such a hit.

The ideal would of course be to have BBC1hd, BBC2hd and BBC4hd - but I imagine the latter is unlikely...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LHC
        • Jan 2011

I think it is fairly clear that these HD broadcasts will come to an end. The BBC's own blogpost notes that they haven't worked out how to broadcast BBC4 programmes in HD in an 'affordable' way:

The blog goes on to confirm that BBC 4 programmes won't be shown in HD for the foreseeable future: "until we are able to broadcast BBC Three and BBC Four and the children’s channels in HD, you’ll need to record programmes in standard definition after 26 March."

Indeed, for two BBC3 series that have started recently, the remainder of the series will be shown in SD only, despite having started on the HD channel.
        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

I think that from Tues 26 March Radio Times has had to re-jig its "Freeview" pages to include the newish Movie Mix channel [freeview 32].

But at the foot of the BBC1 and BBC2 listings it still quotes BBC1 HD [freeview 101] and BBC2 HD [freeview 102].

So I don't think that this is the end of BBC HD!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            I think that from Tues 26 March Radio Times has had to re-jig its "Freeview" pages to include the newish Movie Mix channel [freeview 32].
            !
            An entire channel devoted to Tom's movies?

Whatever next?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
              I think it is fairly clear that these HD broadcasts will come to an end.
              What in the linked text leads you to that conclusion, LHC?

Comment

• LHC
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                What in the linked text leads you to that conclusion, LHC?
                The bit that says: "until we are able to broadcast BBC Three and BBC Four and the children’s channels in HD, you’ll need to record programmes in standard definition after 26 March."

For clarification, I am not suggesting that the BBC is ending its HD broadcasts, but rather that it is ending the flexibility it had to broadcast HD versions of programmes from a number of other channels, and especially those shown on BBC4 (which I think are of most interest to this board)

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

The bit that says: "until we are able to broadcast BBC Three and BBC Four and the children’s channels in HD, you’ll need to record programmes in standard definition after 26 March."

For clarification, I am not suggesting that the BBC is ending its HD broadcasts, but rather that it is ending the flexibility it had to broadcast HD versions of programmes from a number of other channels, and especially those shown on BBC4 (which I think are of most interest to this board)
                  Now that it has been gone for a few weeks, I do really miss the HD channel. HD in one form or another is the future of television and if the BBC are not investing in that future, then one has to wonder why not. There have been a number of programmes recently, particularly, as you mention, on BBC4 which should have been shown in HD, and I am sure they would have been if the HD channel had not been dropped. "The secret life of Rockpools" is one that springs to mind- HD is perfect for that sort of thing. And next Friday, there is a 90 minute documentary about the Ring Cycle from Tony Pappano, on BBC4, so not in HD. A one off, brand new documentary for the Wagnerian bi-centenary surely should warrant a slot on BBC2 so that they can show it in HD.

And I am assuming that the next series of Borgen will also now not be in HD, despite the first two series being transmitted thus. Birgitte Nyborg in SD just won't be the same.
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• LHC
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                    Now that it has been gone for a few weeks, I do really miss the HD channel. HD in one form or another is the future of television and if the BBC are not investing in that future, then one has to wonder why not. There have been a number of programmes recently, particularly, as you mention, on BBC4 which should have been shown in HD, and I am sure they would have been if the HD channel had not been dropped. "The secret life of Rockpools" is one that springs to mind- HD is perfect for that sort of thing. And next Friday, there is a 90 minute documentary about the Ring Cycle from Tony Pappano, on BBC4, so not in HD. A one off, brand new documentary for the Wagnerian bi-centenary surely should warrant a slot on BBC2 so that they can show it in HD.

And I am assuming that the next series of Borgen will also now not be in HD, despite the first two series being transmitted thus. Birgitte Nyborg in SD just won't be the same.
                    Andrew Graham Dixon's programmes on the art of the low countries and the opening of the Rijksmuseum would also have benefited from HD, but alas that was not to be. Similarly, the recent broadcast of Eugene Onegin from the Opera House would have been shown in HD last year, but this option is no longer open to the Beeb.

As well as Borgen now being SD only, the next season of the Bridge will also be in SD despite the first having been shown in HD. Incidentally, I understand all BBC programmes are now filmed in HD, even if they are not shown in HD.

The removal of the HD option for BBC4 programming is particularly galling as the BBC has indicated that more arts-related programming will move from BBC2 to BBC4 in the future, thus further reducing the amount of arts programmes shown in HD.

I have noticed from Amazon though that this month Decca will be releasing blu rays titled 'Wagner' and 'Villazon on Verdi'. Although no further details are available yet, I suspect these may be HD versions of the documentaries to be shown on BBC4 in the next few weeks. So it seems that these BBC programmes will soon be available in HD, but only if you can afford to pay for them!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Sometimes BBC4 programmes are repeated on BBC2 at 23:20 and hence will be in HD. And I wonder whether Scandi series like The Bridge and Borgen might now be on BBC2 as they are 'mainstream' after recent success....

Comment

• LHC
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Sometimes BBC4 programmes are repeated on BBC2 at 23:20 and hence will be in HD. And I wonder whether Scandi series like The Bridge and Borgen might now be on BBC2 as they are 'mainstream' after recent success....
                        That would certainly be the sensible option, although it doesn't appear to have occurred to the BBC. However, I have seen no evidence that this is even being contemplated. None of the Scandinavian police series have been shown on BBC2 to date and I see no reason to believe that they will be in future. Foreign police dramas have become something of a niche for BBC4 and I suspect that the BBC will continue to programme them on BBC4 for this reason.

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

That would certainly be the sensible option, although it doesn't appear to have occurred to the BBC. However, I have seen no evidence that this is even being contemplated. None of the Scandinavian police series have been shown on BBC2 to date and I see no reason to believe that they will be in future. Foreign police dramas have become something of a niche for BBC4 and I suspect that the BBC will continue to programme them on BBC4 for this reason.
                          Well, I mean. They're foreign, innit, and subtitled. Not commercial. Thirty years ago that was staple BBC 2 fare. We should perhaps feel grateful they're still on at all.

Another point to consider is that HD channels are the only ones, afaik, where multi channel sound is used, so BBC 4 is stereo only. This doesn't affect me at the moment, but I was thinking about LHC's post 198 above. In other words the loss of the HD channel affects more than the picture.

The problem is all to do with space on the multiplexes. If they cut out some of the rubbish and/or "plus one" channels then matters could be improved, but that is as likely to happen in today's money-grubbing world as pigs flying. Then again, space on the multiplexes is not an issue for satellite and cable viewers. Would the BBC make BBC 4 available in HD if they got a bit more money?

Comment

Working...
                          X