X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Frank Thornton, comedy actor, has died.

Frank Thornton who was known to and appreciated by millions of BBCTV viewers of Are You Being Served? and Last of the Summer Wine has died aged ninety-two.

Frank Thornton, who played Captain Peacock in BBC comedy Are You Being Served? has died at the age of 92.

Last edited by Guest; 18-03-13, 22:36.
  • Mandryka

A long life, well lived, by all accounts. But I think he should be remembered as more than a 'comedy' actor: his cameo as Prince Albert in the 1974 mini-series Fall Of Eagles (an unrivaled dramatisation of the run-up to WW1) was impressive, as was his stage role in Ionesco's desperately unfunny 'tragic farce' The Chairs.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
      A long life, well lived, by all accounts. But I think he should be remembered as more than a 'comedy' actor: his cameo as Prince Albert in the 1974 mini-series Fall Of Eagles (an unrivaled dramatisation of the run-up to WW1) was impressive, as was his stage role in Ionesco's desperately unfunny 'tragic farce' The Chairs.
      I remember 'Fall of Eagles' well, an unrivalled dramatisation indeed with Barry Foster as a wonderful Kaiser Wilhelm II.

I met Frank Thornton some years ago at a function at Pinewood Studios and he was the perfect gentleman. RIP.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        I remember 'Fall of Eagles' well, an unrivalled dramatisation indeed with Barry Foster as a wonderful Kaiser Wilhelm II.

I met Frank Thornton some years ago at a function at Pinewood Studios and he was the perfect gentleman. RIP.
        Veering dangerously ot, but Patrick Stewart's performance (surely an inadequate word - 'personification' might be more apt) of Lenin in that series is surely one of the finest pieces of acting ever seen on television. He brought that monstrous, terrifyingly cold personality to life like no other actor could.

Comment

Working...
        X