• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

The future of BBC4 TV

Plans unveiled for the beginning of the "Tony Hall" era... http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...s-bbc4-monthly
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

>>>'a 2.8% share'<<<....thankyou for sharing!!....
    bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      >>>'a 2.8% share'<<<....thankyou for sharing!!....
      Hi 8th - I saw that too!

I guess all things being unequal making arts programmes shouldn't by rights constitute any form of major cost to the license payer (as one must always put it nowadays). Thanks Cali for posting this link. As to the changes, wait & see is probably the best advice; I normally don't find anything worth watching on Friday nights on any channel, and haven't watched Newsnight Review for so long I was unaware it was still on. At least having most if not all BBC TV's arts output concentrated on one channel would make it easier to find.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Depends what they replace it with on bbc2....though you cannot get much cheaper than a few folk around a plank often being frank about an obvious load of....sweet violets....
        bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Depends what they replace it with on bbc2....though you cannot get much cheaper than a few folk around a plank often being frank about an obvious load of....sweet violets....
          More entertaining as well as cheaper if they walk the plank tho'

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

It's often lamentable. Was much better when they got John Carey, Tom Paulin and ... M. Gove Esq waxing critical...

Mind you, the one the other week with Toby Spence and Fiona Maddocks, taking about Britten and the two current musical documentary series, was Quite Interesting...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Anyway, thank goodness BBC4 seems secure now....a lot of repeats (that I finally surcome to) but it does offer good things (i.e. 100 years war)[not that I'm saying war is good of course]....but does give me that default setting to start my viewing, and make me feel gosh the world isnt all Norton/ Ross/ Brand /XMucker and House/Flog idiots....
              bong ching

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Anyway, thank goodness BBC4 seems secure now....a lot of repeats (that I finally surcome to) but it does offer good things (i.e. 100 years war)[not that I'm saying war is good of course]....but does give me that default setting to start my viewing, and make me feel gosh the world isnt all Norton/ Ross/ Brand /XMucker and House/Flog idiots....
                You and me both.

And the repeats are actually welcome - there's so many good things on BBC4 that one can't watch them all first time around.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

All the bloody budget goes on YENTOB swanning/fannying/Yomping around in his suit and Nike trainers (gout one suspects....good)....being all executive producer here and executive blaa there [Hey man, I'm so NY Chelsea Hotelesque]....ANYWAY....

Ed ...>>>[Hey man, I'm so NY Chelsea Hotelesque]<<<....him not me obviously....I'm more R reg Merc 304D converted camper on the North wales coast....just a few bits of drift wood and some cleverly placed pebbles [Outsider Brut nuvo-weirdo]
                  bong ching

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

quite
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

Just envy....
                      bong ching

Comment

• VodkaDilc

This reduction in arts output makes me glad to have experienced the early years of Artsworld, the add-on Sky channel which was founded by Sir Jeremy Isaacs. Details below for those who missed it:

3.30pm: Sir Jeremy Isaacs has launched his digital arts channel, Artsworld, with a pledge to fill the cultural void, says Matt Wells.

The daily arts magazine programme, usually introduced by Richard Coles or Tim Marlow, began each evening's programming - a bit like Newsnight Review, but every night and at a civilised time. (7pm, I think.) If I recall correctly, it cost £6 a month. If only something similar could be seen today. When Sky bought out the channel ("saved it", as it was described at the time), the daily live programme was the first to go.

Comment

• aeolium
                          • Nov 2010

The best stuff on BBC4 imo is the arts and history documentaries and - though hit-and-miss - the Storyville slots. Examples of very good documentaries in the last year or so include the series on illuminated manuscripts, Robin Lane Fox's exploration of Greek myths, the series exploring the history of art through particular colours and two recent excellent series on ancient South American civilisations and the Hundred Years' War. I don't really mind BBC4 dropping its drama coverage as I cannot recall anything (apart from Danish imports!) I wanted to see. I wish it would lose comedy too, but that's another story....

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                            Examples of very good documentaries in the last year or so include the series on illuminated manuscripts, Robin Lane Fox's exploration of Greek myths, the series exploring the history of art through particular colours

I wish it would lose comedy too, but that's another story....
                            BBC4 comedy is no laughing matter.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

The best stuff on BBC4 imo is the arts and history documentaries and - though hit-and-miss - the Storyville slots. Examples of very good documentaries in the last year or so include the series on illuminated manuscripts, Robin Lane Fox's exploration of Greek myths, the series exploring the history of art through particular colours and two recent excellent series on ancient South American civilisations and the Hundred Years' War. I don't really mind BBC4 dropping its drama coverage as I cannot recall anything (apart from Danish imports!) I wanted to see. I wish it would lose comedy too, but that's another story....
                              Complete agreement here.

Only... is there comedy on BBC4? I thought it was on BBC3...

Comment

Working...
                              X