X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pegleg
    • Apr 2012

Art Deco Icons Programme 2 of 4

I missed salymap's alert and the first programme in this short series. This edition focused on the “Art Deco transformation of the [London] underground”. Was it a load of boring tosh only of interest to LT anoraks? Not for me, there was much to savour here.

My formative years were spent in South London, and the seven stations designed by architect Charles Henry Holden when the Northern Line was extended from Clapham Common to Morden in the 1920's formed part for the fabric of my daily life and the sights, sounds and smells of my earliest memories.

The Art Deco paraphernalia of the ticket halls may now only be found the in the LT museum, and the creaking escalators with wooden threads moving between avenues of those iconic sentinel uplights have long gone, but David Heathcote brought all this, and much more, vividly back to life.

I remember only too well the excitement as a young boy when the trains approached. The rumble that turned to a thunderous roar and the great rush of air as the carriages burst from the tunnel into the station. May be I didn't fully appreciate it at the time but the old '38 stock, built specifically for the Northern and Piccadilly lines, was a thing of real functional beauty.

It's easy to lapse into sentimentality, but David Heathcote's appreciation of 55 Broadway constantly reminded us of how modern it was in its day, how American and how forward thinking. It was never mentioned, but nor should we forget this was very short time after the end of the Great War. The guns may have fallen silent on 11.11.1918, but the official end of the War had not come until 31st August 1921. A time when the nation's grief was symbolised by the unveiling of countless war memorials across our communities. It makes the positivism and energy of the extension, modernisation and transformation of London Underground all the more remarkable.

At just 30 minute in length, this programme passed in a hurry. After lingering at 55 Broadway, David Heathcote had little time to say much about Charles Henry Horden or linger at many of his Art Deco stations. The extension of the Northern had begun in 1923 and was completed with in three years. We caught just a few glimpses only of Morden Station and one very brief exterior shot of the construction of a double bore exit which may have been at the same site. As a finale, he choose to visit the circular island of Southgate Station, which lies at one and of the Piccadilly line. It's not quite an alien flying saucer marooned in a suburban mock-tudor landscape, but how I'd love to have landed my tardis there when if had first opened. My memories of the few times I've been there is of a rather shabby place.

It was only decades later I realised I had another connection to architect Charles Henry Holden, and that is “Forceville”. During the later part of the Great War Holden had worked for the Army's Directorate of Graves Registration and Enquiries, and in 1918 had transferred to the Imperial War Graves Commission. He worked on the prototype cemeteries at Louvencourt and Forecville and many others. The often rather chaotic muddle of wooden crosses where being transformed with the elements we are familiar with today: the Cross of Sacrifice; the ranks of hand carved headstone; rose gardens and discrete walls. When King George V undertook his pilgrimage to the Western Front in 1922, photographs appear to show the new IWGC cemetery at Forceville was complete.

Why Forceville? It is the final resting place of one of wife's eight great uncles who all fought on the Western Front. He was killed late in 1916, it was one of the last actions on the Somme that year.
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Pegleg, I missed prog 2 myself but saw part 3 last night, all about an Art Deco house in Devon, based on 'Pickfair' ,the home of Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford. Gorgeous house but where do they hide their clutter? I must look for part 2, thanks for the reminder.

Comment

• Pegleg
      • Apr 2012

A trip to the West Country will do nicely, I've yet to see prog 3. After Charles Henry Holden has been on the menu, I was really hoping for something on Senate house, the Crush Hall etc.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pegleg View Post
        A trip to the West Country will do nicely, I've yet to see prog 3. After Charles Henry Holden has been on the menu, I was really hoping for something on Senate house, the Crush Hall etc.
        Great to see you back on the forum, Pegleg, and I trust you are well.

I missed this programme, but your reference to the 38 rolling stock reminded me just how forward-looking and sleek those R37 (?) 38 trains were on the District, Metropolitan and Circle lines - doubly so the aluminium stock (R47?) introduced in the late 50s (? - my little LT booklets disappeared many years ago) - compared with which, todays square-cornered trains stock offer an experience tantamout to travelling in ugly tin containers. Meanwhile the newer Overground trains seat you sideways, flanking right-through trains, in which you are thrown from side to side and due to the narrow low windows have little visibility of the outside world without appearing to be staring at passengers opposite. One sole advantage of the new trains is destination and next stop announcements, and associated illuminated displays. Only deep-level tube trains offer any sense of travelling in style, and that only when not overcrowded.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I missed this programme, but your reference to the 38 rolling stock reminded me just how forward-looking and sleek those R37 (?) 38 trains were on the District, Metropolitan and Circle lines - doubly so the aluminium stock (R47?) introduced in the late 50s (? - my little LT booklets disappeared many years ago) - compared with which, todays square-cornered trains stock offer an experience tantamout to travelling in ugly tin containers. Meanwhile the newer Overground trains seat you sideways, flanking right-through trains, in which you are thrown from side to side and due to the narrow low windows have little visibility of the outside world without appearing to be staring at passengers opposite. One sole advantage of the new trains is destination and next stop announcements, and associated illuminated displays. Only deep-level tube trains offer any sense of travelling in style, and that only when not overcrowded.
          I thought it was only women, S-A, who disliked those sideways seats, which invite unwanted smiles or someone looking hastily away. Neither easy on a longish journey

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            I thought it was only women, S-A, who disliked those sideways seats, which invite unwanted smiles or someone looking hastily away. Neither easy on a longish journey
            But where does one cast ones eyes? Better to bury oneself into a book. Furthermore, turning around to peer outside just causes cricks in the neck!

Comment

• Pegleg
              • Apr 2012

To be honest, things have not been, and are still not good. I feel weary far beyond my years and I'm only too grateful my commuting and working days are over, even if for all the wrong reasons.

While a good fraction of my adult life was spent using transport of the self-powered two wheel variety, another large chunk was reliant on the use of the various misery lines (Piccadilly, Met, District, Circle and Central). Through the 80's and 90s any romance or beauty on the Underground was lost to me.

If the newer Overground trains you speak of are like the stock recently introduced on the Met Line then I'm doubly glad I don't have to use them. Like yourself and salymap, I never liked sideways seats on the Tube. It wasn't so much about where to look, but more about leg room for a 6fter and being bounced side to side as you say.

Comment

• Anna

To be honest, things have not been, and are still not good. I feel weary far beyond my years and I'm only too grateful my commuting and working days are over, even if for all the wrong reasons.
                I'm so sorry to hear that Pegleg, I remember your lovely informative posts on the Secret Streets thread and your knowledge about London was a delight.
                I haven't been watching as the programmes are repeats but I see the one on LT is available for two more days, here is the link if anyone wants to catch it:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  I'm so sorry to hear that Pegleg, I remember your lovely informative posts on the Secret Streets thread and your knowledge about London was a delight.
                  I haven't been watching as the programmes are repeats but I see the one on LT is available for two more days, here is the link if anyone wants to catch it:
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...don_Transport/
                  Strongly seconded, Anna. And thanks for the link - one for tomorrow.

Comment

• Pegleg
                    • Apr 2012

Thank you for the kind words Anna & S-A. Did you finish "The Blackest Streets" Anna?

Comment

• Anna

Thank you for the kind words Anna & S-A. Did you finish "The Blackest Streets" Anna?
                      Of course I did! And thank you for recommending it.
                      We can only hope the BBC will provide us with more programmes that encourage you to keep posting here!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Of course I did! And thank you for recommending it.
                        We can only hope the BBC will provide us with more programmes that encourage you to keep posting here!!
                        As did I - many friends and relatives beyond the forum have enjoyed them too, Pegleg!

Comment

• Pegleg
                          • Apr 2012

your reference to the 38 rolling stock reminded me just how forward-looking and sleek those R37 (?) 38 trains were on the District, Metropolitan and Circle lines - doubly so the aluminium stock (R47?) introduced in the late 50s (? - my little LT booklets disappeared many years ago) - compared with which, todays square-cornered trains stock offer an experience tantamout to travelling in ugly tin containers.
                          Apologies S-A, but I didn't repsond to your comments re: R38 etc. I made frequent use of the Wimbledon branch of the District line circa 1965-1975 and have clear memories of both the unpainted and painted R stock with their distinctive profiles. This photo shows the flared skirt and external angular window fittings:

This would have be the common sight at Wimbledon too:

What a glorious red!

The interiors, best appreciated outside of the rush hour, had comfortable seating, an attractive colour scheme, the warmth of varnished wood, the classic wooden flooring and sensible lighting.

I never felt I was travelling a tin box in those days.

The history of LT rolling stock types is a labyrinthine subject, but there's a handy reference at the foot of this WIKI page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...litan_Railway)

One deep regret I have is that I've not been fit enough to ride the special event trains hauled by the "Sarah Siddons" electric loco that have run from nearby Harrow-on-the-Hill in recent years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIpDR3PpPmM Mind you, I'm not sure I could have coped with the gaggle train-spotter types.

A final dose of nostalgia, a ride on 38 stock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PljZiHxiCcY

Comment

• JFLL
                            • Jan 2011

If only someone could have bottled the smell of tube trains fifty or sixty years ago – something which struck me at once as a boy from the provinces in 1958. A sniff of ‘Bakerloo Bouquet’ would I’m sure be a madeleine moment for me.

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

And part 4 of Art Deco Icons tomorrow at 8pm on BBC4- The Orient Express. I can already hear that music- will they use it?

I rather hoped one programmes would be on Eltham Palace but there we are. I think there was a programme in another series.

Comment

Working...
                              X