• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Furst on TV ...

Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais' two-part adaptation of Alan Furst's spy novel set in Poland, Paris, London and Berlin in the years leading up to the Second World War. It is 1937 and at the French embassy in Warsaw, new military attache Colonel Jean-Francois Mercier is drawn into a world of abduction, betrayal and intrigue in the diplomatic salons and back alleys of the city. At the same time, the handsome aristocrat finds himself in a passionate love affair with Anna, a Parisian lawyer for the League of Nations. Their complicated liaison intensifies as German tanks drive through the Black Forest. Starring David Tennant and Janet Montgomery.
    looking forward to this and hope that it will be as deft delivered as the novels are written ...

see also

BBC4 9 PM Spies of Warsaw

Alan Furst
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Resurrection Man

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    looking forward to this and hope that it will be as deft delivered as the novels are written ...

see also

BBC4 9 PM Spies of Warsaw

Alan Furst
    I'm surprised this hasn't received any comments. We watched both episodes and thoroughly enthralled. Beautiful attention to detail. Excellent acting. First rate period drama and has prompted me to go and read the book.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

cor blimey someone else watched it!

ditto on the comments Resurrection Man ... as a Furst Fan for some considerable time i wondered at how they would tackle his plotting .... intermittent episodic etc are strong features of his impressionism ... brilliant to read but perhaps unsuited to TV plotting and linear development ...

if you have not read Furst start at the beginning ....

Night Soldiers (1988)
      Dark Star (1991)
      The Polish Officer (1995)
      The World at Night (1996)
      Red Gold (1999)
      Kingdom of Shadows (2000)
      Blood of Victory (2003)
      Dark Voyage (2004)
      The Foreign Correspondent (2006)
      The Spies of Warsaw (2008)
      Spies of the Balkans (2010)
      Mission to Paris (2012)
      wicki
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

OK..thanks for that list. Will start at the top!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

... there are no plot connections between the books but some characters appear in more than one book ....

he has a following but it seems quiet and small in relation to the quality of his writing .... there is real pleasure in reading him

Comment

• amateur51

ditto on the comments Resurrection Man ... as a Furst Fan for some considerable time i wondered at how they would tackle his plotting .... intermittent episodic etc are strong features of his impressionism ... brilliant to read but perhaps unsuited to TV plotting and linear development ...

if you have not read Furst start at the beginning ....

wicki
            Many thanks for this list and the advice Calum - I first 'found' his work at Daunt Bookshop at Marylebone Lane, London. They had a big display on a table and I bought & read the earliest one I could find and enjoyed it, though I found that you had to concentrate quite hard (no bad thing but sometimes I just want a page-turner).

I'll investigate further and try out the TV series too

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Ah, Daunt's...nice bookshop until they installed those ghastly halogen lights!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Watched it too.... Absorbing stuff, and looked grrrrreat on BBChd. I had a special frisson from the immaculate Citroën Traction Avant used throughout, which received some great camera angles and looked supremely pretty when finally abandoned in favour of the train... (New readers will see a photo of my old one on my profile... )
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                X