X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
    It's a shame that it's somehow acquired a "15" BBFC classification because it would serve as an entertaining portrayal of recent British history for younger people.
    If a film uses the F word five times or more it gets a 15 certificate from the Certification Board, HonG. Heard it on Radio 4 this week with Quentin Letts. 'Made in Dagenham' got the same treatment - 12 uses of the F word apparently and received an unnecessary, I thought, 15 - the Director reckoned it cost them £1m at the box office.
    I thought the performances in 'Pride' were terrific throughout. And the moment when the young woman in the club stood up and started singing is resonating with me still...a 'Cabaret' moment with hope rather than fear.

Comment

• Tevot
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      If a film uses the F word five times or more it gets a 15 certificate from the Certification Board, HonG. Heard it on Radio 4 this week with Quentin Letts. 'Made in Dagenham' got the same treatment - 12 uses of the F word apparently and received an unnecessary, I thought, 15 - the Director reckoned it cost them £1m at the box office.
      I thought the performances in 'Pride' were terrific throughout. And the moment when the young woman in the club stood up and started singing is resonating with me still...a 'Cabaret' moment with hope rather than fear.
      The rules are quite bizarre aren't they? If therefore one f word is used in a film - can 3 year olds be admitted !?

Or is my Maths wrong ?

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
        The rules are quite bizarre aren't they? If therefore one f word is used in a film - can 3 year olds be admitted !?

Or is my Maths wrong ?
        Yes, it could be certified 12A - i.e. under 12s must be accompanied by an adult.

Actually, it's unfair to call the "rules" bizarre because they're set and constantly tweaked with reference to significant public consultation and expert opinion.

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

I saw '71 recently and thought it a very fine film, especially as it was a debut film by its director and lead actor. I was glad to see that it has recently picked up 9 BIFA nominations:

British independent film award shortlist also includes Mike Leigh biopic Mr Turner and ‘honour killing’ drama Catch Me Daddy

It mainly concerns the experiences of one British soldier on first deployment to Belfast, and most of the action takes place in one confusing and terrifying day and night. The performances by a cast mostly unfamiliar to me, and especially the screenplay by Gregory Burke who wrote the excellent play Black Watch, were superb. Definitely one to recommend.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Yes, it could be certified 12A - i.e. under 12s must be accompanied by an adult.

Actually, it's unfair to call the "rules" bizarre because they're set and constantly tweaked with reference to significant public consultation and expert opinion.
            That wouldn't really be a guarantee that the rules aren't bizarre though, would it?
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

We liked Mr Turner, very much.

... and this despite too many enthusiastic reviews and breathless poster quotes (“supremely enjoyable!”) and my default dislike for "our smuggest director", Mike Leigh. It really is splendid, a properly adult film.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                That wouldn't really be a guarantee that the rules aren't bizarre though, would it?
                Well, this boringly boils down to how you're using the word "bizarre". The certification 'rules' are kept perpetually in accordance with changes in both public and expert opinion, so I would never call them "bizarre", even in a case where I would personally prefer them to be different.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Well, this boringly boils down to how you're using the word "bizarre". The certification 'rules' are kept perpetually in accordance with changes in both public and expert opinion, so I would never call them "bizarre", even in a case where I would personally prefer them to be different.
                  it presumably also depends, among other things, how those setting the rules actually use the public consultation and "expert opinion"

Anyway, back on topic, watched life of Pi the other day, a rare film watch for me, and very good it is too.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... and this despite too many enthusiastic reviews and breathless poster quotes (“supremely enjoyable!”) and my default dislike for "our smuggest director", Mike Leigh. It really is splendid, a properly adult film.
                    I agree (about the film). Apart from all the other good things about it, it's gorgeously filmed: magnificent colour. And Timothy Spall is extraordinary.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

So they can cover the little ones' ears?

Surely it's bizarre to rule that it's OK for an under 12 to hear four f***s if they're accompanied by an adult, but not OK for them to hear five?

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                        Surely it's bizarre to rule that it's OK for an under 12 to hear four f***s if they're accompanied by an adult, but not OK for them to hear five?
                        I think that a distinction is made between isolated, "justified in each instance" [my expression] usage and casual, frequent usage. So, four f---s used in some contexts might still lead to a "15" classification. The rules keep morphing, so future guidelines may not seem bizarre to you.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

No, the classification requires a responsible adult to approve the admittance of each under-12 and to accompany them as proof. There are all manner of reasons for classifications, e.g. violent, sexual, distressing content - and of course the inclusion of classical music which could unhinge sensitive audience members.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

i can only think they must have misunderstood, or taken too literally, an utterance of FFS down at the censors office.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Unfortunately no sighting yet of Mr Turner at out nearest multiplex (Swindon). Also to look forward to next year is a "making of" filmed by Leigh's son. Leo, which will offer insights into the director's individual method. Our daughter is the editor on it and has been telling us a bit about it.

Comment

• amateur51

No, the classification requires a responsible adult to approve the admittance of each under-12 and to accompany them as proof.
                                Just a revenue-raising ruse in my estimation

Comment

Working...
                                X