• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    Nigel Farage's rave review has really put me off seeing this film, though I don't whether I'd have bothered in any case.

I was unimpressed by the one previous Nolan film I've seen (Memento).
    What was it about Nigel's review that put you off? It strikes me that his review could only encourage people to see this excellent footage.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

It's being shown in 70mm here in Edinburgh at the Filmhouse. The last time I saw a 70mm movie was Tarantino's 'Hateful 8'.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Great film this, yes Hans Zimmer's score is rather unwanting. Featuring a hmmm Nimrod as he did, is rather unwanting. The only critism I have his the score and it's rather lack lustre usage.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          Great film this, yes Hans Zimmer's score is rather unwanting. Featuring a hmmm Nimrod as he did, is rather unwanting. The only critism I have his the score and it's rather lack lustre usage.
          Not seen Dunkirk myself but my sister did last week and didn't like it much. There is little or no dialogue, the acting is poor and the music overloud. She also spotted a number of howlers. She and her companion walked out after an hour.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Not seen Dunkirk myself but my sister did last week and didn't like it much.
            I can't see that I'll be bothered with it. Nolan is massively overrated in my opinion. As is Hans Zimmer.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Not seen Dunkirk myself but my sister did last week and didn't like it much. There is little or no dialogue, the acting is poor and the music overloud. She also spotted a number of howlers. She and her companion walked out after an hour.
              Well I'm off to see it at Paignton Vue Cinema with my son this evening. Being a Vue cinema, it will almost certainly be too loud.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Not much of a critique if you didn't see it yourself!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Very interesting reflections re. Dunkirk, Brexit & how GB sees itself here....
                  Where some see disaster, others see victory … No, not the fraught events of 1940 as depicted in Christopher Nolan’s war epic, but the right’s battle against Europe. Has cinema become a willing ally?

I wouldn't take my ears anywhere near a cinema these days, but I'll watch it once it comes around for free or to rent off Sky... it has reviewed very well, of course.

Loved The Secret Life of Pets the other night. Yes, all these Disney/Pixar-alikes, whether with fish, fowls or humans, tend to end up with a very similar crash-bang-chase sequence, bad guys almost win, good guys saved by sheer luck/crazy heroism from previous wimp/bad guy turns good etc, but the set-up in the first act (what do they do when you go to work etc) is very charming & funny - rehomed big dog bullies resident little dog, little dog plays smart & gets the better of him, they get lost & have to team up to save themselves etc.... bit stereotyped about Cats though......(oh, and it'll leave you with the munchies for a saveloy... didn't you know all dogs love sausages?)

But it looks beautiful and is very inventive visually, like the stunningly beautiful Nemo/Dory franchise. Also it begins with Taylor Swift, ​Welcome to New York.......so just irresistible, really.
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 29-07-17, 22:24.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Just home from watching Dunkirk, and I must say I thought it was excellent. When I was told, a few days ago, that Elgar's music was being used, my heart sank, and I said it was certain to be Nimrod. But it wasn't the usual overuse of the variation, from the likes of Breakfast. It was augmented (in time) to such an extent that it was imperceptible at first, gradually evolving as the film progressed, so that when it was heard (still at a very slow tempo) near the end of the film, it was welcome and very effective. .

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Just home from watching Dunkirk, and I must say I thought it was excellent. When I was told, a few days ago, that Elgar's music was being used, my heart sank, and I said it was certain to be Nimrod. But it wasn't the usual overuse of the variation, from the likes of Breakfast. It was augmented (in time) to such an extent that it was imperceptible at first, gradually evolving as the film progressed, so that when it was heard (still at a very slow tempo) near the end of the film, it was welcome and very effective. .
                      IMO, I thought the score to the film wasn't very good at all. The use of a very extended Nimrod, was highly inappropriate and not very original. The film was excellent, yes but the score not.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        Very interesting reflections re. Dunkirk, Brexit & how GB sees itself here....
                        Where some see disaster, others see victory … No, not the fraught events of 1940 as depicted in Christopher Nolan’s war epic, but the right’s battle against Europe. Has cinema become a willing ally?

I wouldn't take my ears anywhere near a cinema these days.......
                        I take ear plugs for the trailers - so far, on our occasional visits I haven't found the sound on the main feature so brutal (but then we don't go to action movies). If I forget the ear plugs, I have no qualms about sticking my fingers in my ears and being taken by those behind me (the popcorn grazers, cellophane rustlers and munchers) as extremely odd - might encourage them to move away! I do offer to sit separately from my family if they'd rather not be associated with me....

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                          Not much of a critique if you didn't see it yourself!
                          It wasn't meant to be one, just the reported impressions of one whose opinion I value.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

It wasn't meant to be one, just the reported impressions of one whose opinion I value.
                            Mmm! A third party critique that you thought necessary to share although you hadn’t seen it yourself.
                            I had a friend once who saw a production of Tosca but they didn't like it much.
                            Last edited by Stanfordian; 30-07-17, 12:56.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                              Mmm! A third party critique that you thought necessary to share although you hadn’t seen it yourself.
                              I had a friend once who saw a production of Tosca but they didn't like it much.
                              Just ignore it then if it bothers you that much.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

I wanted to see Dunkirk yesterday, but the ladies in our crowd vetoed it and we saw The Big Sick instead. Have to say I enjoyed it immensely. It is both side splitting funny and poignant and that must be hard to pull off. The acting is superb, especially the two sets of Parents, both the Pakistani parents and the coupling of Ray Romano and Holly Hunter. Jud Apatow films are always worthwhile but this is Best Picture worthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X