X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

When waiting to watch Spectre, we saw the trailer for The Lady in the Van, which we were determined not to miss. We weren't disappointed.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      That's all very well
      but I found the whole thing sonically "unnatural".
      I loved the volume, the trouser flapping bass in the explosions and nice to see the our Daniel has lost his Wirral accent completely.
      Why do the words "chip" and "shoulder" keep coming to mind, MrGG?

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Why do the words "chip" and "shoulder" keep coming to mind, MrGG?
        I "passed" the 11 plus
        poor old Daniel "failed"

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          I "passed" the 11 plus
          poor old Daniel "failed"
          He still looks younger than he did nearly 20 years ago in Our friends in the North.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

I've just watched "Le Ballon Rouge", the wonderfully atmospheric french film of 1956.

Oddly enough, I first discovered a version of this film on utube after searching far and wide for any information I could get on Maurice Le Roux, the French composer and pupil of Milhaud and Messiaen who joined the French CP, abandoning total serialism for social realism, having been one of the first to take it up, and writing music for the cause of working class struggle. The only place I'd come across him was as conductor of the version of Turangalila that I have, and Google came up with the movie. By coincidence it was listed in this month's issue of Simply Home Entertainment, so I sent off for a copy, and it came in a much cleaned up version coupled with "White Mane", another 1950s French film, also with music by Le Roux, set in the Camargue, about a young boy who rescues and befriends a wild horse captured and tormented by rustlers.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Had already earmarked Bridge of Spies and Carol as 'must-see' films - glad to see that endorsed here.

For anyone within range of the Metrollops, I've become very enthusiastic about this cinema, Picturehouse Central - the same group has houses all round the country, and I hope they are all as good. I last went a few weeks ago to see Crimson Peak (engagingly flamboyant Gothic horror which loses it in the final 20 minutes...) - I was stunned by the quality of the projected image. With HD television, one has become spoilt as regards picture quality, and a few times over the last couple of years, I've been disappointed by this aspect in some pretty prestigious big screen theatres. At the Picturehouse, the clarity and texture of the image was a pleasure in itself.

The seats are wonderfully comfortable (huge legroom for the 6' 5" gentleman ), and the ambiance is also very agreeable, with a sightly retro, 'steam-punk' feel, and with congenial and extensive café areas adding to the experience.

I shall certainly be heading there for Carol - which I note is being shown for some sessions "from a glorious 35mm print".
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

'The Railway Children' Starring the wonderful Jenny Agutter.

The first job I ever wanted as a child was to be a cinema projectionist and, to this day, the mechanics of showing movies fascinates me. This led to me running the school film society and I loved running the two 16mm projectors in tandem whilst we saw films such as 'Taxi Driver' (as a 15 year old!) and the two 'French Connection' films despite an incident where the reels got muddled up and the middle part of each movie got shown in the wrong order! (Not my fault, I hasten to add!)

Anyway, other stuff got in the way and I never did achieve my ambition. However, when I discovered eBay I found that 16mm projectors, being obsolete technology, were very easy to come by. The first one I bought was £40 including p&p and the description said that unless anyone bought it then it was destined for the local tip. So I bought it. I also spent £45 on a faded print of 'How to steal a million' starring the lovely Audrey Hepburn and the debonair Peter O' Toole. I was hooked.

The next part of this story involves my best female friend who has a lovely flat here in Edinburgh. What makes this flat ideal for film showing is that she has a flight of stairs with a large window that looks down on to her sitting room. This means the rather noisy machine sits behind glass whilst the distance between the stairs and her fireplace is absolutely the correct distance to fill a cinema screen. So, I do the film and she does a buffet. We've had many friends to see films over the last 15 years and everyone has a great time. Very often, the comment is 'It was much better than I expected it to be!'

I usually start with a compilation reel which begins with a 5 minute film celebrating the work of MGM and features short clips of their most famous movies. Then there's a couple of 'Tom & Jerry' cartoons followed by adverts for long forgotten products. Trailers for movies I'd love to own make up the conclusion before ice cream is served. That gives me the opportunity to lace up the feature. Over the years, I've amassed a modest library of features including 'Godfather 1', 'Manon des Source', 'The French Lieutenants Woman', the Hitchcock version of 'The 39 Steps' and 'Gregory's Girl'. And, of course, The Railway Children!
                Last edited by pastoralguy; 29-11-15, 23:36.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Had already earmarked Bridge of Spies and Carol as 'must-see' films - glad to see that endorsed here.

I shall certainly be heading there for Carol - which I note is being shown for some sessions "from a glorious 35mm print".
                  'Carol' was filmed in 16mm so it must be an enlarged dupe. It was a digi version I saw which was good although I thought the focus was a bit 'soft'. (This is where I slip into an outsized anarak!')

I believe Tarantino's next opus, 'The Hateful 8', is to be presented in 70mm although I suspect few Cinemas still have the ability to show this format. The Filmhouse here in Edinburgh still have 35mm projectors that can be adapted for 70mm although their projectionist tells me that there very few 70mm prints stil in existence.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

For anyone within range of the Metrollops, I've become very enthusiastic about this cinema, Picturehouse Central - the same group has houses all round the country, and I hope they are all as good. I last went a few weeks ago to see Crimson Peak (engagingly flamboyant Gothic horror which loses it in the final 20 minutes...) - I was stunned by the quality of the projected image. With HD television, one has become spoilt as regards picture quality, and a few times over the last couple of years, I've been disappointed by this aspect in some pretty prestigious big screen theatres. At the Picturehouse, the clarity and texture of the image was a pleasure in itself.

The seats are wonderfully comfortable (huge legroom for the 6' 5" gentleman ), and the ambiance is also very agreeable, with a sightly retro, 'steam-punk' feel, and with congenial and extensive café areas adding to the experience.

Thanks for that helpful information, it sounds as good as the Apollo in Lower Regent Street, but that has disappeared. I'll certainly make a point of visiting Picture House Central, but just one question -Where is It ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                      Thanks for that helpful information, it sounds as good as the Apollo in Lower Regent Street, but that has disappeared. I'll certainly make a point of visiting Picture House Central, but just one question -Where is It ?
                      Not far from the Apollo as was! Sorry, the words 'tucked away just north of Piccadilly Circus' mysteriously disappeared from my post...! It's just up Great Windmill Street, on the right hand side between P. Circus and Shaftesbury Avenue - it's the little street (at the western corner of the ghastly Trocadero) that runs north just opposite the top of Haymarket. It's tardis-like - you can't believe something so spacious and stylish could be located there!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

[COLOR="#0000FF"]Had already earmarked Bridge of Spies and Carol as 'must-see' films - glad to see that endorsed here.

For anyone within range of the Metrollops, I've become very enthusiastic about this cinema, Picturehouse Central ]
                        Agree about that cinema, Cal. We decided we wanted to see Lobster, not showing anywhere near us (North Wilts). We were in London for a theatre matinee the other week and went along afterwards. Strange, amusing and compelling film, definitely worth seeing. As country bumpkins, though, we were somewhat taken aback at the entry price £15 for oldies, otherwise £18. Our local multiplex in Swindon is quite unappealing but oldies only pay £6 even in the evening. The slightly apologetic sales person advised us to sign up as members to get in cheaper, but in our case it is hardly worth it

Comment

• Tevot
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          Agree about that cinema, Cal. We decided we wanted to see Lobster, not showing anywhere near us (North Wilts). We were in London for a theatre matinee the other week and went along afterwards. Strange, amusing and compelling film, definitely worth seeing. As country bumpkins, though, we were somewhat taken aback at the entry price £15 for oldies, otherwise £18. Our local multiplex in Swindon is quite unappealing but oldies only pay £6 even in the evening. The slightly apologetic sales person advised us to sign up as members to get in cheaper, but in our case it is hardly worth it
                          Hello there Gurnemanz,

Was that 15 GBP for you both or each? If the latter - is it any wonder that folk resort to bootlegs and downloads?

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
                            Hello there Gurnemanz,

Was that 15 GBP for you both or each? If the latter - is it any wonder that folk resort to bootlegs and downloads?

Best Wishes,

Tevot
                            £15 each. Would have been a bit cheaper in the afternoon. Price list.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

...Picturehouse Central - the same group has houses all round the country, and I hope they are all as good...
                              Ours certainly is!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                                and cheaper tickets.

Comment

Working...
                                X