Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Demetrius
    • Sep 2011

pre-war Japan had its problems with the english speaking world, that might have been a reason. Still, I really don't see where the universal appeal is missing - my local book store seems to offer more english than german classics, and in regard to modern novels ... putting aside greatness here ... the shelves seem positively flooded with Twilight, Shades of Gray, Harry Potter, the Generic Grishamnovel etc. not much French or Russian around, though Scandinavians are pretty popular. Whatever public favour amounts to when it comes to quality is another question. I really haven't encountered anyone believing that English Literature didn't offer top tier novels before. maybe people tend to be more critical with things they are closer connected to?

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Demetrius View Post
      I really haven't encountered anyone believing that English Literature didn't offer top tier novels before.
      That is what I meant by ‘putting aside the question of greatness’, i.e. (possible) lack of universal appeal does not mean it is not great. Modern popular novels are different matter, even outside the UK, as I expect more people worldwide read English these days.

It is true that pre-war Japan had problems with English speaking nations but my impression about English literature is also from the time when I worked in a bookshop back in the 70s when I was familiar with publishes’ lists.

Comment

• Demetrius
        • Sep 2011

Statistics have their problems, so has Wikipedia; There are a great number of people with English as their first language, maybe more than the french, certainly more than the russians or germans, probably less than the spanish. It is not impossible that the books in english language have been sold almost only in the UK, USA, Kanada etc. But I doubt it.

le Monde polled a number of french regarding good 20th century books

Naturally, it is leaning towards the french end. But the 20 or so English works beat the other languages by a mile - and its a myriad of novels.

and a poll of some 250000 Germans http://suite101.de/article/zdf-unser...#axzz2FjYgimHV

Naturally, Germans like German books, but by my count 28 English books/novels (4 Russian, 3 French), quite a few of them 'classics' along the lines of Austen, Bronte or Salinger

In the end, I really don't see it, whether its about quantity or quality or universal appeal.

edit: missed Tolkien in first place so 29

and just for fun

6 English, 1 Chinese, 1 Portugese, 1 Dutch and 1 Holy

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Tristram Shandy, Tom Jones, Joseph Andrews, Austen, Wuthering Heights, Dickens, Middlemarch, Mill on the Floss, Silas Marner, The Scarlet Letter, Hardy, The Rainbow, Sons and Lovers, Women in Love, Joyce, Woolf, Under Western Eyes, The Secret Agent, A Passage to India, The Sound and the Fury, The Great Gatsby, Chandler, The Sea, The Sea, The Black Prince, The Magic Toyshop, Nights at the Circus, Midnight's Children, Beloved, Money, London Fields, Chatterton, Sexing the Cherry, Art and Lies, Larry's Party, The Stone Diaries, Mao II, Underworld, Hotel World, Pratchett, Darkmans ...
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Tristram Shandy, Tom Jones, Joseph Andrews, Austen, Wuthering Heights, Dickens, Middlemarch, Mill on the Floss, Silas Marner, The Scarlet Letter, Hardy, The Rainbow, Sons and Lovers, Women in Love, Joyce, Woolf, Under Western Eyes, The Secret Agent, A Passage to India, The Sound and the Fury, The Great Gatsby, Chandler, The Sea, The Sea, The Black Prince, The Magic Toyshop, Nights at the Circus, Midnight's Children, Beloved, Money, London Fields, Chatterton, Sexing the Cherry, Art and Lies, Larry's Party, The Stone Diaries, Mao II, Underworld, Hotel World, Pratchett, Darkmans ...

The more I think about it, the more it seems fatuous to assert that, say, Bleak House suffers in comparison with any novel written elsewhere in the world.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
              I would argue that there aren't.
              I am afraid I agree

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

I look forward to Mandryka returning to engage in the contentious thread she started.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                  I look forward to Mandryka returning to engage in the contentious thread she started.
                  Like some of the missives of Si-d-ney G-rew and others

I don't believe a word of it , I guess at least our cycling friend knows what he is

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    I guess at least our cycling friend knows what he is
                    Which one?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Which one?
                      this

now back "on task you lot" ................

This could, of course, be a lateral opening into a discussion of the nature of what one might consider to be an appropriate use of the word "great" ? but I doubt it !

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        I am afraid I agree
                        Still waiting for this argument - looks like an assertion to me

An argument implies exchanges of evidence, doesn't it? it appears to have been a one-way exchange so far.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

The more I think about it, the more it seems fatuous to assert that, say, Bleak House suffers in comparison with any novel written elsewhere in the world.
                          and anybody who argues should have a copy dropped on their head. That'll learn 'em .

Reminds me of a long easter holiday as a student.........
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            and anybody who argues should have a copy dropped on their head. That'll learn 'em .
                            That lets Mandy off then (as ammy accurately observes above)
                            Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 17-08-13, 13:40. Reason: Very belated elimination of shocking grocer's apostrophe

Comment

• zoomy
                              • Jan 2011

I am afraid I agree with you - there simply aren't any great British novelists - but does anyone really measure up to the wonderful Russian and French writers ? I cannot think of any writers who do.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by zoomy View Post
                                I cannot think of any writers who do.
                                Try harder.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X