X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Imagine: Jeannette Winterson - My Monster and Me

Maybe, given RT's non-highlighting of its graveyard slot, one shouldn't be surprised that no one has started a thread on last night's excellent programme, in which, interviewed by, for a change, an intelligently sympathetic rather than fawning Alan Yentob, Jeanette Winterson took us back to her Lancashire mill town upbringing to talk about the monster of a mother portrayed in Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, re-telling how books, Oxford University and above all her own tenacity had been her rescue, as well as how the breakdown she had suffered only four years ago had made her face up to unacknowledged factors in her makeup hidden by youthful intellectual curiosity, a need to create her own self-testimony, and a native zest for life, so that she has come to see herself as in some way a mirror image of her otherwise ostensibly-natured opposite adoptive mother.

The programme started, and was interspersed, with Jeanette speaking with power and humour, without notes, to the audience at the presentation in Paris of the award for her recent memoir Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? We were taken back to Accrington, to the front doorstep to which as a child she was banished for whole nights for inadvertent transgressions of the slightest detail conflicting with her adoptive mother's domineering beliefs, joined her in a near-version of the Mini in which she spent two months after being thrown out of her home, following the family and church's discovery of her lesbianism, and in Accrington Library, where she found liberation in literature, and art gallery; visited her room at Oxford where she recalled out of habit hiding books under the pillow whenever anyone knocked on the door, and at the end of the programe were taken for the first time to Mrs Winterson's grave.

There were some lovely touches: "Books took me away from that world, but then my mother took the books away"; Jeanette and Alan looking pensively at the naked statue of Aphrodite in an art gallery before she suggests he cover up the figure with his jacket; her taking flowers from a nearby grave to place on her mother's - a caption in the closing credits stated that they had been returned to their rightful place!

A fine tribute to a wonderful woman, and to the human capacity for resilience in the face of the most unpropitious of starts in life.

Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 05-12-12, 14:49. Reason: Only 1 'n' in Jeanette
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Wasn't going to watch it, largely due to the Yentob factor - but caught some of the start. When they visited her old house and she showed the front step and demonstrated how she sat on it all night, feet up against the side of the door, when she'd been thrown out as a little girl, I was hooked and pressed 'record'. Will catch up tonight or at the weekend
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Similarly I got caught up in it and enjoyed .... a thought provoking piece....esp for us chronically twisted depressives....
      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Wasn't going to watch it, largely due to the Yentob factor - but caught some of the start. When they visited her old house and she showed the front step and demonstrated how she sat on it all night, feet up against the side of the door, when she'd been thrown out as a little girl, I was hooked and pressed 'record'. Will catch up tonight or at the weekend

The iplayer link for anyone who wishes they hadn't missed it:

(Hope I've typed that right!)

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Wasn't going to watch it, largely due to the Yentob factor :
          ... didn't watch it, partly because of the Yentob factor, mainly because of the Jeanette Winterson factor.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... didn't watch it, partly because of the Yentob factor, mainly because of the Jeanette Winterson factor.
            know what you mean vinteuil but i did catch most of it and thought it fine, i missed out on how her adoptive mother was a monster but that did not spoil the story ....
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              Not too sure what vinteuil means by this ... I have yet to catch up so cannot comment further on the programme, just intrigued by the statement.
              (I have three of her books, Oranges, Sexing the Cherry and Gut Symmetries)

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                • Nov 2010

I find her irritating, but she's an interesting case for the Nature v. Nurture argument.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Ah, the original 'misery memoir'. She's been dining out on that childhood for years. Makes one wonder if she has anything else up her sleeve to offer the world of literature.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                    Ah, the original 'misery memoir'. She's been dining out on that childhood for years. Makes one wonder if she has anything else up her sleeve to offer the world of literature.
                    "One" is such a small number. Thousands others (who have actually read her works) have no doubt that she is amongst the finest imaginative Artists alive; one of the few novelists in English with a genuine mastery of language. If there is a finer novel written in my lifetime than Art & Lies, I have yet to discover it. And Art Objects (her collection of essays about the Arts should be compulsory reading for anyone in management at the BBC - and everyone in parliament.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on vinteuil's hanging chad....Never read a novel by her....got the gist of the TV OatoF but had no time to watch it all properly....BUT she does divide allegience ( my ultra feminist ex would raise her eyes when she was mentioned) perhaps this is because of some of her attitudes to feminism back in the 80's /90's, and she is still paying....
                      I'll certainly buy Art and Lies on fernet wotsits rec'....
                      bong ching

Comment

• JoeG

I thought it was excellent too - my only knowledge of her work was the TV version of Oranges.... but it made me keen to read some of her books - if I ever get the time!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
                          I thought it was excellent too - my only knowledge of her work was the TV version of Oranges.... but it made me keen to read some of her books - if I ever get the time!
                          Good to see you back on here JoeG - it's been a while?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

To use the lamentable parlance of our times, it looks like me, Mary Chambers and M. Vinteuil are gonna take "one for the team" on this.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                              To use the lamentable parlance of our times, it looks like me, Mary Chambers and M. Vinteuil are gonna take "one for the team" on this.
                              I don't know what this statement means - is it lesbian bashing or as EO says, her attitude to feminism? Forgive my ignorance, I only know her as an author, not much about her past.

Comment

Working...
                              X