• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

BBC2 Wonderland: Young, Bright, on the Right

did anyone catch this last night?

young Oxbridge Tory members perhaps being gently sent up, or inadvertently sending themselves up

I wonder what else will be in the Wonderland series
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Didn't watch it but read this article (one of those irritating stories on the BBC News website (here, BBC Politics) which when you get to the end of it you suddenly notice is an advert for a BBC programme
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

the programme may have been intended as a serious look at how difficult it might be to get into (Tory) politics if one is state-educated, but rather came across (to me) as a study of a certain corner of British "eccentricity" [which I think previous Wonderland programmes have been]

Comment

• Mary Chambers
        • Nov 2010

I found it a bit sad, somehow. Those boys are going to be SO embarrassed if they do become politicians (doubtful, I imagine), and some of that footage is shown.

Wiiliam Hague is state-educated, I think, and it doesn't seem to have stopped him. And what about John Major and Edward Heath? I don't know if any of those tried to rise in the ranks of the young fogies at university, though. I don't think Major went to university at all.

Comment

Working...
        X