• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

'Sex and Sensibility: the Allure of Art Nouveau'

I enjoyed the mostly Parisian episode of Stephen Smith's trilogy on Art Nouveau, one of the passing fads which I rather like. This week's episode is supposed to be on London. As the three Programmes are supposed to do all of Europe I hope that we will get decent coverage of Vienna and Prague, the latter far exceeds London IMO.

I quite like Stephen Smith. He is akin to an excited version of Jonathan Meades, for example after several large espresso coffees.
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
    I enjoyed the mostly Parisian episode of Stephen Smith's trilogy on Art Nouveau, one of the passing fads which I rather like. This week's episode is supposed to be on London. As the three Programmes are supposed to do all of Europe I hope that we will get decent coverage of Vienna and Prague, the latter far exceeds London IMO.

I quite like Stephen Smith. He is akin to an excited version of Jonathan Meades, for example after several large espresso coffees.

I have my eye (and PVR settings) on this series

So much good stuff on BBC4. There isn't time to watch it all... I have a big backlog (MATRON!!)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I watched part one and enjoyed it. Have I missed part two then? Stephen Smith is not as annoying as some of the presenters of this sort of thing.

Think I prefer Art Deco though

Comment

• JFLL
        • Jan 2011

I've recorded it but as yet only skimmed through it with the fast forward. But I wasn't very encouraged by a shot of Smith walking down some Parisian street (do these presenters never sit down?) talking about Baudelaire's Les Fleurs du mal (so wicked!) and then adding -- with a noticeable curl of the lip "and to think that in England at the time Trollope was writing Barchester Towers" (or words to that effect). Well yes, Trollope was no Baudelaire, but then again, Baudelaire was no Trollope (though his lady-friends probably were). Does he really need to rubbish the 'opposition' like some football fan?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Loved the programme, but found Stephen Smith rather annoying: trying too hard to be Waldemar Janusczek, but too "effortful". He redeemed himself with the Trollope swipe, though (sorry JFLL).

I thought I saw some Rene Mackintosh in the treailer for the next prog, Chris, so perhaps not just London. I expect lots of close-ups of Beardley's Salome!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post

Well that has definitely put me off ever watching this!!
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
              Well that has definitely put me off ever watching this!!
              Never mind Mr Pee, I'm sure that Rupe & Jamesy will have an umpteenth and ferociously expensive repeat of André Rieu to entertain you

Comment

• JFLL
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                .... the Trollope swipe, though (sorry JFLL).
                Apologies accepted , but surely it's a bit sixth-form?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Never mind Mr Pee, I'm sure that Rupe & Jamesy will have an umpteenth and ferociously expensive repeat of André Rieu to entertain you
                  Actually I will be watching this at 7pm tomorrow:-

Sky Arts is dedicated to the best arts programming across all genres, 24 hours a day.

Followed by this at 8pm:-

Sky Arts is dedicated to the best arts programming across all genres, 24 hours a day.

What's on the BBC tomorrow, I wonder?? Oh, wait, I've just had a look....Holby City, Hairy Bikers, Don't Tell the Bride and Bombay Railway on BBC4, which at least sounds vaguely interesting. But on balance, I think I'll stick with Beethoven.
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Is this long enough ?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      Very nice photo Mr. GG. But not for the first time, I have no clue whatsoever why you have uploaded that link to this thread.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Very nice photo Mr. GG. But not for the first time, I have no clue whatsoever why you have uploaded that link to this thread.
                        Did you ever learn anything at school or since outside F1, brass bands, tropical fish and bikes, Mr Pee?

Novels must leave you cold

Comment

• Mr Pee
                          • Nov 2010

Did you ever learn anything at school or since outside F1, brass bands, tropical fish and bikes, Mr Pee?

Novels must leave you cold
                          I think I know what Mr GG is on about, supping with the devil, etc., however what that has to do with watching a film about Beethoven on a widely available television channel, I have no idea.

By the way, RAF bands are not BRASS bands. They are military, or symphonic wind bands. Brass Bands do not include woodwind instruments. <D'Oh!> Perhaps if you had access to a decent arts- focused television channel, you might avoid making such elementary mistakes.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

I think I know what Mr GG is on about, supping with the devil, etc., however what that has to do with watching a film about Beethoven on a widely available television channel, I have no idea.

By the way, RAF bands are not BRASS bands. They are military, or symphonic wind bands. Brass Bands do not include woodwind instruments. <D'Oh!> Perhaps if you had access to a decent arts- focused television channel, you might avoid making such elementary mistakes.
                            My apologies, Mr Pee - two words that I have yet to see typed by you despite your numerous blunders

You have yet to comment on the Beethoven performances for which you have paid so much, Mr Pee and for which you frequently provide free advertising - do give us the benefit, do
                            Last edited by Guest; 27-03-12, 11:52. Reason: trypo

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

My apologies, Mr Pee - two words that I have yet to see typed by you despite your numerous blunders

You have yet to comment on the Beethoven performances for which you have paid so much, Mr Pee and for which you frequently provide free advertising - do give us the benefit, do
                              Well, I did actually comment on the 1st Symphony on the original thread, but you clearly haven't been paying attention, so I'll repeat myself- the first movement felt a bit heavy, but it livened up considerably from then on, with a cracking Scherzo and a last movement that was taken at quite a pace. Needless to say, the VPO were on fine form as one would expect. The second symphony was overall very succesful. Thielemann's conducting style is unusual, but then so are many top conductors. In the preceding films, Thielemann discusses the symphonies and his interpretations with Joachim Kaiser. This discussion is punctuated by rehearsal footage, as well as film of other conductors, including Leonard Bernstein and Herbert von Karajan.

Overall, an excellent couple of hours television. Certainly a lot preferable to anything that's on the BBC at the same time.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X