X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Playhouse Presents on Sky Arts

Discover a range of Sky Channels – Watch the latest TV shows, blockbuster movies, and live sports. Enjoy Sky Originals, and access on-demand content.

Looks Good!!

And this:-

Sky Arts is dedicated to the best arts programming across all genres, 24 hours a day.
    Last edited by Mr Pee; 23-02-12, 22:15.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

I'm sure that people who have access to BSB know what's on, Mr Pee; for anyone else your posts are just - pointless.

Perhaps French Frank could set up a thread especially for you.

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      I'm sure that people who have access to BSB know what's on, Mr Pee; for anyone else your posts are just - pointless.

Well, on that basis the weekly thread that discusses that Saturday's CD review is also redundant; as are threads discussing the forthcoming Proms season, and indeed just about any that look forward to as yet unbroadcast material, since anybody with access to the internet or the Radio Times knows what's on.

I know that there are other Sky subscribers on these boards; I am alerting them, because they may not be aware- these programmes were brought to my attention via Facebook updates.

You don't have to read the thread, or contribute to it.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I certainly knew nothing about either of the developments mentioned in the original posting. I am excited by the drama initiative; less so by the revival of Parkinson, someone I always found to be over-rated and unduly sycophantic.
        I do not buy The Radio Times and I do not receive the SkyArts notifications, so any recommendations spotted by other members are very useful to me.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Not so. I'm grateful for this heads up. After all, this forum is for discussion of music and other arts from all providers (i.e. not only the BBC).

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

Glad to have been of help!

And Sky Arts was the subject of a very favourable article in last Saturday's Independent, under the headline "Sky Arts is showing how to do culture on television – can the BBC please take note?"

Mark Twain.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
              Glad to have been of help!

And Sky Arts was the subject of a very favourable article in last Saturday's Independent, under the headline "Sky Arts is showing how to do culture on television – can the BBC please take note?"

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...e-7440622.html
              Praise from The Guardian too:

Veteran presenter to front Sky Arts series as channel releases schedule including Tom Jones in first ever acting role

Though I thought this extract:

Sky Arts had its budget tripled earlier this year and now aggressively challenges BBC4.

was a little unfair. As far as I remember, Artsworld, which was later renamed Sky Arts, pre-dated BBC4 (BBC Knowledge, I think was its first name); and there were protests from its founders, including Jeremy Isaacs, when the BBC set up an arts channel in competition.

Comment

• Bori5

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                Not so. I'm grateful for this heads up. After all, this forum is for discussion of music and other arts from all providers (i.e. not only the BBC).
                Speaking of which, does anyone know what the music is that they use on this advert? The euphoric part kicks in when you see Richard E Grant.
                I recognise it but can't think who - please tell me its not Coldplay!

Comment

• Mr Rarity

First - hello
                  Second - Mr Pee, I feel you made a good and valid post. Thank you. Is there some previous history/bad blood here, or is the complainant just always like that?
                  Third - Bori5, congratulations on your re-appointment. The track is 'Trembling Hands' by Temper Trap, from their new, eponymous second album, released on the 21st. Rather lifts the advert, doesn't it? As if such a stellar collection of British talent needed lifting.
                  Best
                  MrR

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mr Rarity View Post
                    First - hello
                    Second - Mr Pee, I feel you made a good and valid post. Thank you. Is there some previous history/bad blood here, or is the complainant just always like that?
                    Third - Bori5, congratulations on your re-appointment. The track is 'Trembling Hands' by Temper Trap, from their new, eponymous second album, released on the 21st. Rather lifts the advert, doesn't it? As if such a stellar collection of British talent needed lifting.
                    Best
                    MrR
                    First, welcome Mr Rarity
                    Second, Yes
                    Third, Um.

More on second: the anti-members are essentially anti-Murdoch. Mr Pee, on the other hand, is winding them up by mentioning Sky (Arts) on every possible occasion, possibly in retaliation for the constant updates on the Leveson enquiry. And that's the history.

I am neutral. Except on that Boris
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      First, welcome Mr Rarity
                      Second, Yes
                      Third, Um.

More on second: the anti-members are essentially anti-Murdoch. Mr Pee, on the other hand, is winding them up by mentioning Sky (Arts) on every possible occasion, possibly in retaliation for the constant updates on the Leveson enquiry. And that's the history.
                      In the light of that, this thread seems to me particularly gratuitous and troll-like, unmasking Mr Pee once and for all as a wind-up merchant, with the odd acolyte. Message #3 is particularly meretricious.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        In the light of that, this thread seems to me particularly gratuitous and troll-like, unmasking Mr Pee once and for all as a wind-up merchant, with the odd acolyte. Message #3 is particularly meretricious.
                        I have to rule against that (except the point about Msg #3) on the grounds that some people other than Mr Pee have said they find the information useful.

I should have said, I'm also not neutral on Murdoch and welcome the continuing updates ..... But a similar, Pee-led, Sky Arts thread might be a possibility?

On the whole, I think that people should avoid the threads which they find contentious unless they have a relevant argument of substance to make, rather than just repeating their fundamental disagreement with the thread itself. Non?
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          a similar, Pee-led, Sky Arts thread might be a possibility?
                          I think that would be very sensible, then those thirsting for knowledge of Sky's artistic output could have a congenial place of resort, and there wouldn't be the repetitive thread-after-thread approach, which looks like goading. I'm not denying that there is a place for Pee!!
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Coming back to the original point, Tom Jones' acting début seems to have met some strong criticism. Of course, he was up against two female stalwarts (Steadman and Blethin). Was he as bad as the critics suggest?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                              Well, on that basis the weekly thread that discusses that Saturday's CD review is also redundant; as are threads discussing the forthcoming Proms season, and indeed just about any that look forward to as yet unbroadcast material, since anybody with access to the internet or the Radio Times knows what's on.

I know that there are other Sky subscribers on these boards; I am alerting them, because they may not be aware- these programmes were brought to my attention via Facebook updates.

You don't have to read the thread, or contribute to it.
                              You could always send each of them a private message Mr Pee

Shouldn't take long

Comment

Working...
                              X