• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Walton's Belshazzar's Feast: M Berkeley, BBC4

Just noticed - and no one seems to have posted about it - that on BBC4 in about 1 minute is a 90 minutes documentary about Walton and Belshazzar's Feast, presented by Michael Berkeley

Doesn't seem to be the customary early morning repeat...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Norfolk Born

I'm recording it even as I write. What I would REALLY like is for the whole 'Masterworks' series to be repeated, especially the programmes on the Tallis Fantasia and Britten's 'Serenade' (the latter performed, if memory serves, in Blythburgh Church and featuring Ian Bostridge).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
      I'm recording it even as I write. What I would REALLY like is for the whole 'Masterworks' series to be repeated, especially the programmes on the Tallis Fantasia and Britten's 'Serenade' (the latter performed, if memory serves, in Blythburgh Church and featuring Ian Bostridge).
      I saw none of them (there's no sign that they're repeats - but then that's the norm on BBC4 it seems) and I too would REALLY like the same thing as you (and am watching it and recording it and writing this)!

Presumably you're recording it because you are watching that other great North WEstern cultural product, Corrie NO SPOILERS please about the trial!! I intend to be enthralled this weekend...
      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 04-02-12, 15:04. Reason: Correcting geographical brain fade! Thanks fhg!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

I managed to start the recorder in time for the performance itself. The iPlayer will have to suffice for the documentary section of the programme.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Doesn't seem to be the customary early morning repeat...
          Come off it, Michael Berkeley's got a full thatch - of course it's a repeat!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

First broadcast in 1999, I believe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post

Wrong end of the stick, Pans: I meant that there doesn't seem to be a repeat of the 7.30pm classical music slot early in the morning at 2 or 3am... as there often is, and which is useful if you've missed the early evening broadcast.

However, thank you for writing.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The usual copyright issues, I guess. The Britten programme was quite magical, ending with a shot of the moon over Blythburgh Church as the offstage horn brought the work to a close. I can't remember the works featured in the other three programmes.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

GREAT NEWS! I've just found the Britten by googling 'Britten Serenade on youtube' - complete, albeit in 9 sections. I'm going to watch it NOW!

Comment

• Anna

Presumably you're recording it because you are watching that other great North Eastern cultural product, Corrie NO SPOILERS please about the trial!! I intend to be enthralled this weekend...
                    Nope. no soaps here. have stuck with Walton from the beginning this evening! Er, there is a Corrie omni ... Sundays. As to what is on - try the Radio Times!
                    edit: Now on, BBC Wales, docu about the Welsh Wizard, Shane Williams Six Nations starts tomorow, Engand v Scotland! Ireland v Wales Sunday, being talked up big time on Welsh radio and tv as the grudge match of the year.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-02-12, 09:49. Reason: typos

Comment

• Chris Newman
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                      My ex wondered the same about Sir Andrew's full thatch when that programme first came out. She thought that widow's peak was just impossible.

For myself, I loved Sir Willard White's solo (best since Raimund Herincx) but thought that, as always with AD, the music went much too fast in the allegro bits. Mind you, this was much more under control than his LNOPTP version with Bryn Terfel which must have broken all records.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Nope. no soaps here. have stuck with Walton from the beginning this evening! Er, there is a Corrie omni ... Sundays. As to what is on - try the Radio Times!
                        Err... yes, I always watch the Corrie omni, Anna! Early Saturday morning, actually - now relegated to ITV2 (to the cast's fury: lower repeat fees... ). Phone calls interrupted the Walton, so I'm going to resume.

Lady W came across as a poppet, didn't she (she and Andrew Davis were the best in that extract from 'Façade' I thought - Willard White surprisingly poor!) but she was tough as old boots. A former law firm of mine acted for the Waltons, and I had dealings. Her approach to matters legal was... crisp!!

My Agèd P performed 'Façade' with the Northern Sinfonia when I was about 8. I remember the rehearsals with the lady speaker with whom he performed it, in our dining room, and then P reciting them non-stop around the house. His half of the work is still engraved in my brain... I can do the 'Tango-Pasodoblé' from memory even now. I loved the rhythmic, evocative, exotic words...

"Through trees like rich hotels that bode
                        Of dreamless ease fled she,
                        Carrying the load and goading the road
                        Through the marine scene to the sea."

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

I recorded the programme and must watch it later.

Lady W's approach to everything/everyone was 'crisp'. She even terrified Malcolm Sargent I believe

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            I recorded the programme and must watch it later.

Lady W's approach to everything/everyone was 'crisp'. She even terrified Malcolm Sargent I believe

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Presumably you're recording it because you are watching that other great North Eastern cultural product, Corrie
                              North Eastern???
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X