• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

New Edition of Bierce

long an admirer of The Devil's Dictionary i think this is going on my Xmas list ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

I've got a Bloomsbury edition illustrated by Ralph Steadman.

Piano - A parlor utensil for subduing the impertinent visitor. It is operated by depressing the keys of the machine and the spirits of the audience.

Comment

• amateur51

An enticing review CDJ, made a bit spooky for me since I've just read Bierce's short story An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

Free kindle book and epub digitized and proofread by volunteers.

It has inspired many adaptations, including film and a 'radio opera' by Thea Musgrave. It has been recorded on NMC by Jake Gardner (baritone) and Gayle Hunnicutt (narrator)

This recording can be listened to on Spotify

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

AM51,
        Did you ever see the Film? Brilliant. It won the Cannes Film Festival for short films. I remember seeing it as a fill-up for "The Trap" a film with Rita Tushingham and Oliver Reed, the music of which got re-used in Chariots of Fire (useless info for you!!)

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

good heavens, thanks for the link to that film. I've just realised we were shown that as 11/12 year olds at school, I'd completely forgotten about it.

just watched it again on youtube, not quite the impact it had on first viewing
          Last edited by mercia; 27-09-11, 20:09.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
            AM51,
            Did you ever see the Film? Brilliant. It won the Cannes Film Festival for short films. I remember seeing it as a fill-up for "The Trap" a film with Rita Tushingham and Oliver Reed, the music of which got re-used in Chariots of Fire (useless info for you!!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Occu..._Bridge_(film)
            Not seen the fillum, chris but I'll check if it's on LoveFilm to which I have just started my subscription Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X