X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Vasily Grossman

During the summer I read Vasily Grossmans translated diaries....a fascinating read (I'm not usually one for war reading)

This week they appear to be having a Grossman Fest on R4 [I do not know why; I cannot see any anniversary.

Anyway Start bthe Week was devoted entirely to him {recommend this prog'} http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=Vasily%20grossman

Then 0n Sat17th Sept Archive on 4 2000hrs
    Readings from the Diaries at 2045hrs

then on Sunday 18th Sept more readings of his writings at 1945hrs

....I will certainly be buying his novel Life and Fate....
    bong ching
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

i am not sure which version of Life and fate i read some years ago .... but it was a very powerful read [there are at least two versions i believe ...get the 2006 version]
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Stunsworth
      • Nov 2010

I read Life and Fate earlier this year. A huge book and a great read. Easy to see why it wasn't popular with the Soviet authorities.
      Steve

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman on BBC Radio 4. Listen online to Life and Fate and watch David Tennant and Kenneth Branagh talk about their part in the radio dramatisation.

Comment

• Stunsworth
          • Nov 2010

The dramatisation is available as a free podcast on iTunes.
          Last edited by Stunsworth; 23-09-11, 14:56.
          Steve

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

grossman's work as a war reporter is referenced in this rather good doc on Stalin and the Great patriotic War
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              grossman's work as a war reporter is referenced in this rather good doc on Stalin and the Great patriotic War
              I have that recorded. I only caught the first few minutes, but it did indeed seem very good.
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              X