X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

The Great Irish Dance-Off

There's some documentaries you can't turn away from though they are in some way horrific - wee lassies dressed up like Dolly Parton for example - such was the joys and horrors of this very well made doc on Beeb 2 last night about a preparation for 7 days of jiggin' in Glasgow for the World Irish Jig championships.
    Documentary telling the story of the 40th Irish Dancing World Championships.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 02-09-11, 11:42. Reason: I jigged too quick!
  • PatrickOD

John, I did not watch this last night. It was the Dolly Parton effect that I know so well that put me off. Just shows you how prejudice can twist your mind.
    I watched it just now from your link. What a heart warming experience, what a wonderful bunch of young people. what dedication, generosity, excitement, tension - not to mention skill and commitment shown by all concerned. The dresses and wigs, and the little bit of hysteria were easily overshadowed by the seriousness of purpose, and the sheer decent humanity of so many different people. I have to add that Bronagh, the little Derry girl, was the star of the show for me - and that IS prejudice!
    You probably guessed that I am more interested in the Sean Nos style of dancing - not that I can do it! Sowewhere in my gene pool there must be one for Irish dancing. It missed me by a mile, but I have a first cousin who was an Irish Champion dancer - he got the talent in his feet, I only got it in my head.

Comment

• PatrickOD

Doing a bit of googling. Darn it! I wish I could dance.

EMMA O SULLIVAN SEAN NOS DANCE WITH MARTIN O CONNOR, CATHAL HAYDEN AND SEAMIE O DOWD JMMY HIGGINS 2010

You have to see this
      Emma O'Sullivan & Gerard ButlerSean Nós dancing on a barrel - together!Renvyle Set Dancing Weekend 2010Farewell session :)Video © by SSKM********************...
      Last edited by Guest; 02-09-11, 23:19. Reason: you have to see this

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Patrick, it's that unreal movement in the Irish jig where the arms are tight by the side and yet they almost fly - one wee guy was holding so tight to his arms that at the end they looked like they were glued to his side and his hands rigid. I did struggle to see the relations between the dances and the music being played sometimes but that's why I ain't no dancer I suspect.

No such issues with the Sean-nós lassie whose arms were so much a part of the dance - very fine indeed.

Comment

Working...
        X