Fed up with BBC 2 and BBC 4 house-style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The key thing is what is happening in front of the camera
    Well of course. But does that include a presenter driving or walking along somewhere totally irrelevant?
    the BBC was 'targeting an audience that wasn't interested and not targeting the audience that was'.
    Afraid so, all too often

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Yes there is a great deal more to it [cutting and editing] but in some ways the best direction and editing is that which does not draw attention to itself. In a factual programme if people notice the direction or the edits before the content then arguably it has failed.
      Which I am afraid it often does. A good play or film relies on 'the willing suspension of disbelief'. The trouble is, with a documentary programme which is supposed to be factual, there is no disbelief to suspend!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        I absolutely long for Oliver to walk into a manhole as he walks endlessly looking back at 'us' over his shoulder.
        ....Neil Oliver now a pundit on GBTV along with Nigel Garage....says and writes some very strange stuff.....
        bong ching

Comment

• Study Session
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          ....Neil Oliver now a pundit on GBTV along with Nigel Garage....says and writes some very strange stuff.....
          In my experience, Neil is one of the best out there at laying bare the forces at work - from the WEF to the WHO - that are squeezing our freedoms in the wake of the lockdown. Doing a far more effective job than many of those who pride themselves on 'speaking truth to power' (eg Maitliss - a quick look on Youtube will find her moonlighting for something called 'The Tony Blair Institiute for Global Change'. How curious...)

Comment

• Lordgeous
            • Dec 2012

Some of the documentaries I've most enjoyed (and purchased) are John Bridcut's. Independent productions I presume.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Study Session View Post
              In my experience, Neil is one of the best out there at laying bare the forces at work - from the WEF to the WHO - that are squeezing our freedoms in the wake of the lockdown. Doing a far more effective job than many of those who pride themselves on 'speaking truth to power' (eg Maitliss - a quick look on Youtube will find her moonlighting for something called 'The Tony Blair Institiute for Global Change'. How curious...)
              Asking difficult questions and challenging narratives that suit those in power aren’t terribly fashionable right now.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Asking difficult questions and challenging narratives that suit those in power aren’t terribly fashionable right now.
                Doesn't help if you think it will affect your job prospects or your bosses think it will affect the organisation?

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Doesn't help if you think it will affect your job prospects or your bosses think it will affect the organisation?
                  No, it can be difficult at the personal level, for sure.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                  X