“Can't Get You Out of My Head”, Adam Curtis (iPlayer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Katzelmacher
    • Jan 2021

Curtis is to documentaries what Poliakoff is to tv drama: the Beeb throws money at his stuff in the erroneous belief it’s ‘important’, when in fact it’s quite empty.

That Power of Nightmares thing was based around such a lame, unchallenged thesis that I felt I’d wasted hours of my life watching it.

His titles are pretentious, too.

Comment

• muzzer
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Katzelmacher View Post
      Curtis is to documentaries what Poliakoff is to tv drama: the Beeb throws money at his stuff in the erroneous belief it’s ‘important’, when in fact it’s quite empty.

That Power of Nightmares thing was based around such a lame, unchallenged thesis that I felt I’d wasted hours of my life watching it.

I started re-watching Summer of Rockets the other day and it works in the same way big splashes of colour work at the seaside but I only made it half way thru the second episode. Superbly acted, hollow as an Easter egg.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
        I started re-watching Summer of Rockets the other day and it works in the same way big splashes of colour work at the seaside but I only made it half way thru the second episode. Superbly acted, hollow as an Easter egg.
        ref Poliakoff....though i don't agree with K about Curtis, it is by no means a waste of time....I did find it odd it only made it to iplayer without network outing (i understand it is niche)....all Curtis stuff is thought proivoking. For some it will be an entre for other an end....I find them fun, and spend time reading around items covered /academics covered etc....and I realise 'stuff has to be jigged and rejigged to fit the format etc....stimulating fun....
        bong ching

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

I always find Curtis thought provoking, although this time around I wondered sometimes whether it was thought provoking enough to justify the expenditure of time and putting up with the often frustratingly random way each episode is put together and, in this case, the rather one-sided concentration on failed and corrupt ex-revolutionaries as if they could somehow stand for entire social movements and historical processes. The voice of the common man and woman is almost nowhere to be heard.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            I always find Curtis thought provoking, although this time around I wondered sometimes whether it was thought provoking enough to justify the expenditure of time and putting up with the often frustratingly random way each episode is put together and, in this case, the rather one-sided concentration on failed and corrupt ex-revolutionaries as if they could somehow stand for entire social movements and historical processes. The voice of the common man and woman is almost nowhere to be heard.
            ....true
            bong ching

Comment

• Katzelmacher
              • Jan 2021

I’ve just watched the first part and, really, all I can say is someone in Commissioning at the BBC must be very gullible indeed to have fallen for this mind-rotting garbage.

I’m sure Curtis is laughing his gonads off at all those bewildered viewers looking for a ‘binding thesis’ when, frankly, there isn’t one.

The best I can say is, it’s an ingenious way of cannibalising old programmes and various species of stock footage. Just throw in a pompous voice-over and the licence fee payer can be fooled into thinking they’re getting a new programme instead of lots of bits of old ones.

I no longer watch television or pay the licence fee (I’m watching at my Mum’s) but this, together with Naga Munchetty’s absolutely woeful doc on ‘racism’ are good indicators of just how far the BBC has declined in even a couple of years.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

I’ve just watched the first part
                ... and still you use it as an indicator of "just how far the BBC has declined in even a couple of years". With sweeping unsupported generalisations like that, you must be disappointed they haven't offered you your own documentary series!

Comment

• Katzelmacher
                  • Jan 2021

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  ... and still you use it as an indicator of "just how far the BBC has declined in even a couple of years". With sweeping unsupported generalisations like that, you must be disappointed they haven't offered you your own documentary series!

Even if I had the time (and I don’t), I’d certainly lack the inclination to watch any further. As I mentioned above, I watched The Power of Nightmares and I consider that’s enough of my time he’s wasted.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Even if I had the time (and I don’t), I’d certainly lack the inclination to watch any further. As I mentioned above, I watched The Power of Nightmares and I consider that’s enough of my time he’s wasted.
                    With such sweeping generalisations to back up your case, I dare say you won't think further comment warranted.

Comment

• muzzer
                      • Nov 2013

I no longer watch television or pay the licence fee (I’m watching at my Mum’s) but this, together with Naga Munchetty’s absolutely woeful doc on ‘racism’ are good indicators of just how far the BBC has declined in even a couple of years.
                      I haven’t watched this yet. Why do you think it’s so bad?

Comment

• Katzelmacher
                        • Jan 2021

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                        I haven’t watched this yet. Why do you think it’s so bad?
                        Racism is a heavyweight subject and Munchetty is a lightweight presenter. They also felt the need to drag in a(n American) commentator from a right-wing think tank.

Comment

Working...
                        X