• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Good article on Finney's stage career, by admirer Michael Billington:

The actor shone as brightly in theatre as he did on film, helping to create modern classics from Billy Liar to Joe Egg, and playing the first Hamlet at the National’s Southbank home

I would have loved to have seen him in John Osborne's Luther. He can be seen in the role in Tony Palmer's John Osborne film The Gift Of Friendship, now on youtube.
    Last edited by Conchis; 09-02-19, 18:38.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

First saw him on stage in the West End production of 'Billy Liar'. Funny, sad, direct. Finney was pretty awesome at that age. Think it was his first appearance in the West end as well.

Comment

• Conchis
        Banned
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        First saw him on stage in the West End production of 'Billy Liar'. Funny, sad, direct. Finney was pretty awesome at that age. Think it was his first appearance in the West end as well.
        I think his first WE appearance was in The Party, a now largely-forgotten play by the largely-forgotten Jane Arden:

The Wikipedia entry is surely wrong in stating that this was Charles Laughton's first ever appearance on the London stage.

Finney was a protege of Laughton's at the time.
        Last edited by Conchis; 09-02-19, 18:38.

Comment

• Tevot
          • Nov 2010

Hello there,

As a mere youngster aged 53 I have to admit to never seeing Albert Finney on stage - but remember his roles in a number of films from the 1980s onwards such as Wolfen, Erin Brockovich and The Dresser. I've downloaded Charlie Bubbles and also Under The Volcano which I hope to get round seeing in the not too distant future.... Wikipedia has an amazing tidbit that Finney was the first choice as lead in Lawrence of Arabia - but he declined as he didn't want to be tied into a multi - film deal. An intriguing what if - if ever there was !

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

Working...
          X