• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Albert Finney is Dead.

Old news by now, but an important actor:

The Oscar-nominated star appeared in Tom Jones, Murder on the Orient Express and many other films.

Can an admin please add the missing consonant to Mr. Finney's first name? Thanks.
    Last edited by Conchis; 09-02-19, 00:51.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Surprised this has elicited 'little' response, so far, considering … I would agree - an important actor as both young man and old.

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    Old news by now, but an important actor:

The Oscar-nominated star appeared in Tom Jones, Murder on the Orient Express and many other films.

Can an admin please add the missing consonant to Mr. Finney's first name? Thanks.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Conchis
      Banned
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Surprised this has elicited 'little' response, so far, considering … I would agree - an important actor as both young man and old.
      Most forumites are probably too young to have heard of him!

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Arguably the third-best screen Churchill after Gary Oldman and Robert Hardy. I also remember being very impressed by his performance in 'The Green Man' on BBC (?) TV

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Despite its deeply unsatisfactory ending, I think Charley Bubbles will stand as his greatest achievement. A very impressive thing for a first-time director in his early thirties to pull off, without giving a narcissistic performance in the central role.

Not forgetting his important role as a producer/backer of new talent through the company he ran with Michael Medwin.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Another great actor gone. From ‘kitchen sink’ to ‘classics’. RIP Albert

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

My strongest memory alongside the film roles is Peter Hall's epic staging of Marlowe's Tamburlaine the Great in 1976. A towering portrayal of the hero from Finney. It was the first play performed on the new National Theatre's vast Olivier stage and filled it amply over four hours with an impressive array of acting talent and dynamic action, accompanied by music from Harrison Birtwistle.

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                My strongest memory alongside the film roles is Peter Hall's epic staging of Marlowe's Tamburlaine the Great in 1976. A towering portrayal of the hero from Finney. It was the first play performed on the new National Theatre's vast Olivier stage and filled it amply over four hours with an impressive array of acting talent and dynamic action, accompanied by music from Harrison Birtwistle.
                I should know better, but I'm always depressed when comments focus on a dead actor's film work, which are usually the least impressive parts of his/her CV. Finney made some good films but all the focus seems to be on his turn as Churchill and the cameos he did in a Daniel Craig James Bond film and something called Big Fish. Well, at least he wasn't involved with the Harry Potter franchise - we can be thankful for that!

I never saw him on stage, though was of an age to see him in Art. I think the stage, rather than film, was his natural habitat.

Edited to add: Tamburlaine is a rubbishy play, with a central character who evinces not the slightest bit of development across its two parts but it can work as a 'vehicle' for a barnstorming actor.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

I should know better, but I'm always depressed when comments focus on a dead actor's film work, which are usually the least impressive parts of his/her CV. Finney made some good films but all the focus seems to be on his turn as Churchill and the cameos he did in a Daniel Craig James Bond film and something called Big Fish. Well, at least he wasn't involved with the Harry Potter franchise - we can be thankful for that!

I never saw him on stage, though was of an age to see him in Art. I think the stage, rather than film, was his natural habitat.

Edited to add: Tamburlaine is a rubbishy play, with a central character who evinces not the slightest bit of development across its two parts but it can work as a 'vehicle' for a barnstorming actor.
                  I suspect those involved might just have been aware of its qualities as a play, which was why it was done as a spectacle for a special theatrical occasion. I was passing on a strong memory of a great actor and somewhat wish I hadn't bothered.

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

I was passing on a strong memory of a great actor and somewhat wish I hadn't bothered.
                    No, no! gurnemanz. I'm glad you did contribute. I don't think I'll bother though.

Comment

• Conchis
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2014

I suspect those involved might just have been aware of its qualities as a play, which was why it was done as a spectacle for a special theatrical occasion. I was passing on a strong memory of a great actor and somewhat wish I hadn't bothered.
                      Not sure why you've taken offence, as my comments - which I have re-read - were hardly aimed at you.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Not sure why you've taken offence, as my comments - which I have re-read - were hardly aimed at you.
                        I have to say that, on this occasion, I agree with you You said that the play wasn't up to much but 'it can work as a 'vehicle' for a barnstorming actor'

gurnemanz appeared to agree that the play was somewhat lacking, but that Finney's performance amounted to 'a barnstorming (and memorable) performance'

Me, I have no information ergo no opinion on either the play or the performance. However, I do feel that people often seem to disagree with me when I venture an opinion on music
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                          No, no! gurnemanz. I'm glad you did contribute.
                          - and, reading the first part of Conchis' #8, I think that he was intending to agree with (or approve of) gurne's comments which focussed on Finney's stage acting. The additional "edited" comment was, I understood, merely one of Conchis' periodic "wasn't Einstein a bit thick" posts with which he enjoys to entertain and provoke us.

I don't think I'll bother though.
                          Oh, please do, Padraig - this is the place to express appreciation of Finney's life and work. Alas, I never saw him live onstage, so I can only comment on his film and television work, which was deeply impressive.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            However, I do feel that people often seem to disagree with me when I venture an opinion on music
                            No, they don't.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Conchis
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              - and, reading the first part of Conchis' #8, I think that he was intending to agree with (or approve of) gurne's comments which focussed on Finney's stage acting. The additional "edited" comment was, I understood, merely one of Conchis' periodic "wasn't Einstein a bit thick" posts with which he enjoys to entertain and provoke us.

Oh, please do, Padraig - this is the place to express appreciation of Finney's life and work. Alas, I never saw him live onstage, so I can only comment on his film and television work, which was deeply impressive.

I saw the play revived at Stratford on Avon last autumn, with a good but not 'starry' actor in the central role. As Tamburlaine is a two-parter, it was heavily cut but nothing could disguise the episodic nature of the piece, or the fact that the characters have no depth. At times, the production seemed to invite the audience to 'laugh' at the play's shortcomings, which they occasionally did.

Much the same applies to Marlowe's most famous play Doctor Faustus, which consists of a great opening scene and a great closing scene and a lot of muddle in-between.

Can't comment on Finney's Tamburlaine, as I never saw it. But I can comment on the play!

Comment

Working...
                              X