• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Drama School...how to pay?

Lenny Henry presented a programme, Class Act, on Radio 4 today.

Lenny Henry on how to get more young working-class and BAME actors into the industry.

He explored some of the ways young people from less privileged backgrounds (plus those from ethnic minority groups) could 'make it' in the predominantly middle class world of acting.

I have a personal interest here, because a member of my family...a young person...is desperate to 'make it' in the profession, and yet has limited funds. It appears the Drama Schools cost a lot. And my question is, why do students wishing to go to drama school not qualify for the same Student Loans as those reading for a degree?

It appears that only those institutions which offer a degree course, which can be in [what are sometimes referred to as] Mickey Mouse subjects [ducks for cover] will attract official Government funding for themselves and their students, whilst august bodies such as RADA do not. Yes there are 'career development' loans and other bursaries available, but these are generally not adequate for a drama student, especially if they have to live in London.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice on the subject I'd be grateful to hear. It is notable that most [all?] of the Music Colleges now offer degree courses, thereby overcoming the funding problem.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    If anyone has any thoughts or advice on the subject I'd be grateful to hear.
    Get yourself crowd-funded as a drama queen!

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

..the young person in question is female.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

It appears that only those institutions which offer a degree course, which can be in [what are sometimes referred to as] Mickey Mouse subjects [ducks for cover] will attract official Government funding for themselves and their students, whilst august bodies such as RADA do not.
        Has your young person ruled out a university drama course? Bristol has one which develops acting skills, writing for theatre, production. It may overall take a more academic approach, but there is very much an emphasis on the practical
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Has your young person ruled out a university drama course? Bristol has one which develops acting skills, writing for theatre, production. It may overall take a more academic approach, but there is very much an emphasis on the practical
          I feel duty bound to mention the Theatre Arts BA course at my alma mater, now Middlesex University. O.k., we science students used to hold the BAPAs (BA Performance Arts students) in the sort of disdain implied in the OP, but there's no denying many of its students were to be found mixing a professional career in acting, dance or music while simultaneously studying for their degrees.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I was involved in trying to start up a drama school a few years back. At that time the problem was that the school could not attract local council funding for students who needed it, unless it belonged to the Assoc of Drama Schools (or something like that) but to belong, a school had to be in receipt of local govt funding. Heller of a problem that stopped us in our tracks as we didn't only want to attract kids whose parents could easily pay. As you might imagine there was no shortage of applicants when we advertised.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I have of course mentioned the University route to my young relative, and I'm grateful for the recommendations above If anyone knows more of the sort of thing suggested by Bryn and French Frank above (i.e. courses with a strong practical bent) , keep 'em coming.

Is your suggestion, FF, the one with Bristol Old Vic involvement? The young person is quite gifted academically (having been to a dreaded grammar school) but she has 'drama school' quite firmly in her head at the moment.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

From a friend:

<< X got a place at Rose Bruford - which does do degree courses. So Acting schools do attract student loan funding.>>

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Is your suggestion, FF, the one with Bristol Old Vic involvement? The young person is quite gifted academically (having been to a dreaded grammar school) but she has 'drama school' quite firmly in her head at the moment.
                  There is also, of course, the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School which has had some pretty well known actors passing through its doors. I'm not sure of how much collaboration there is between the Drama Department and the School, though. I imagine they speak to each other from time to time

I now see the School has a 3-year BA course in 'Professional Acting' - so that might be a possibility.

'Students who complete the course successfully will receive a degree from the University of the West of England (UWE). The agreement between the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School and the University of the West of England is reviewed every five years for developmental purposes and was last renewed in 2016.'
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Is Goldsmiths worth a look, if not already considered ?

Decent reputation, in the right place, and much beloved of the children of arty London types.
                    Might tick a few boxes, for a student with academic ability and the need for help with funding.

On the BA Drama &amp; Theatre Arts degree at Goldsmiths, University of London, you'll learn the theory and practice of performance and theatre studies.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Conchis
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2014

My understanding is that ALL drama school courses are no academic degree courses.

They are horrendously expensive and I'm personally sceptical of the value they offer. Obviously, some are better than others and I would save my money rather than go to one that is not CDT-accredited. But even the ones in the CDT are very variable and standards of teaching can alter from year to year.

The only real utility drama school offers is an entree to the world of casting directors and agents via the final term shows. They do not teach people 'how to act'. As I say, I am very sceptical of their value as I know several very good actors who have started on the bottom rungs (TIE, etc) and worked their way up to more prominent roles.

It goes without saying that the profession is horribly over-crowded and never more so than now, with the emergence of 'cowboy' drama schools and agencies. The average professional lifespan of the average male actor is seven years; for a female, it is five years, though things have improved for women in recent years.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

<< It goes without saying that the profession is horribly over-crowded and never more so than now, with the emergence of 'cowboy' drama schools and agencies. The average professional lifespan of the average male actor is seven years; for a female, it is five years, though things have improved for women in recent years. >>

So, so true. Tragic wastes of talent going on. Lucky old Tesco getting all those checkout clerks - not.

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                          My understanding is that ALL drama school courses are no academic degree courses.

They are horrendously expensive and I'm personally sceptical of the value they offer. Obviously, some are better than others and I would save my money rather than go to one that is not CDT-accredited. But even the ones in the CDT are very variable and standards of teaching can alter from year to year.

The only real utility drama school offers is an entree to the world of casting directors and agents via the final term shows. They do not teach people 'how to act'. As I say, I am very sceptical of their value as I know several very good actors who have started on the bottom rungs (TIE, etc) and worked their way up to more prominent roles.

It goes without saying that the profession is horribly over-crowded and never more so than now, with the emergence of 'cowboy' drama schools and agencies. The average professional lifespan of the average male actor is seven years; for a female, it is five years, though things have improved for women in recent years.
                          ... and yet the impulse to perform continues unabated in each generation.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

...ad Parnassum!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

I have some experience of both Middx and Goldsmiths and I think they both have excellent drama courses.

(Middx Poly, as it was then, was where I did my first ever composition teaching, I'm not sure whether this was while Bryn was a student there)

Comment

Working...
                              X