• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Wondered last night, not for the first time, why the hell I was watching this. Beyond grim.
    Oh I thought that episode was great, one of the best things on telly for a long time. Terrific work by all concerned I thought. The clue's in the title of course - it's never going to be cheery all the time, but there were glowing moments. At least they're not breaking into bloody song every three minutes.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Oh I thought that episode was great, one of the best things on telly for a long time. Terrific work by all concerned I thought. The clue's in the title of course - it's never going to be cheery all the time, but there were glowing moments. At least they're not breaking into bloody song every three minutes.
      Superb performances indeed.....and I'm glad to say I know nothing of the musical

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        I'm glad to say I know nothing of the musical
        All recollection of it has vanished since I saw it 39 years ago, before it came to the UK - including of the plot, so it's all coming as a series of surprises
        Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 16-01-19, 13:24. Reason: Did the maths *doh*
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Would another referendum do you ? a new vote offering Remain/Mays Deal seems the logical choice to me.
          I promised myself I'd never discuss this here again, but because it's you...... 2nd Referendum - absolutely; but the first thing to do is postpone Article 50 - cross-party alliance, application to Brussels, whatever it takes; remove that pressure; then use the time for deeper & better discussion, leading to either the 2nd Ref or even - hand it over to the Commons to decide on a Free Vote.

Trouble is, it needs wise and authoritative leadership, standing firm against threats of civil strife....non-​party political broadcasts... where's that coming from?

Just saw True Detective 3 (Sky Atlantic) eps 1 & 2 again, back to back....hypnotic as only Nic Pizzolatto's creations can be, and across three timescales.... nothing to touch it on TV now.
          So much one could say - but pay especial attention to the soundtrack - quiet, ominous electronic smouldering. That sharp, hard winter light; and the actual voices of the two detectives, so rich & resonant with remembered and inner life, just as with Harrelson/McConaughey, Vaughn/Farrell in S1 and S2. Pizzolatto knows how much meaning there is in our voices, in their very sound.
          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 14-01-19, 22:22.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Oui
            Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            All recollection of it has vanished since I saw it 39 years ago, before it came to the UK - including of the plot, so it's all coming as a series of surprises
            (cf. #259 and #269)
            Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 16-01-19, 13:25. Reason: Amending my own quote having done the maths *doh*

Comment

• Belgrove
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              ​True Detective 3.....

[I]Nothing else quite like it is there.... ?
              I'm intrigued to find out what the third time-skein is going to add to the mix, so I'll probably stick with it. The revelation at the end of episode 1 rendered some of the scenes in the first time-skein in episode 2 redundant, just filling. This is always a danger with a story told in a nonlinear fashion, from different perspectives or epochs. The lead has a face as expressive as Mt Rushmore and mumbles throughout, so an Emmy is sure to follow. It reminded me a bit of Donna Tartt's The Little Friend.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
                I'm intrigued to find out what the third time-skein is going to add to the mix, so I'll probably stick with it. The revelation at the end of episode 1 rendered some of the scenes in the first time-skein in episode 2 redundant, just filling. This is always a danger with a story told in a nonlinear fashion, from different perspectives or epochs. The lead has a face as expressive as Mt Rushmore and mumbles throughout, so an Emmy is sure to follow. It reminded me a bit of Donna Tartt's The Little Friend.
                Did you see True-D-1 or -2? It has a way of doing things, usually subtle, atmospheric, understated. I find both the leads' faces richly evocative of inner life and haunted history....
                Mahershala Ali mumbling? Really? I found his face haunted with ​the unresolved,, the dialogue all pretty clear.... but the production values of True-D tend to veer toward darkness and regret, so....

Just to repeat....
                So much one could say - but pay especial attention to the soundtrack - quiet, ominous electronic smouldering. That sharp, hard winter light; and the actual voices of the two detectives, so rich & resonant with remembered and inner life, just as with Harrelson/McConaughey, Vaughn/Farrell in S1 and S2. Pizzolatto knows how much meaning there is in our voices, in their very sound...

It tends to the longer term... I almost gave up S2 after three very convoluted episodes, but what a grip it began to exert after that.....

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-01-19, 21:09.

Comment

• Belgrove
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Did you see True-D-1 or -2?....
                  Mahershala Ali mumbling?

[/COLOR]
                  Didn't bother with series 2 but watched series 1 at the same time as working through the entire Breaking Bad, so True-D's impact was rather diminished. Woody Harrelson was a bit of a mumbler too, but then I have problems with any American accent south of NY. Had to put the subtitles on for Ali!

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Just finished on BBC2 (due to early finish of snooker) a wildlife programme on black-throated divers and white-tailed sea eagles and pine martins. Well worth catching.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

If you're following Les 'Miserables' and you haven't seen tonight's 'Only Connect' - BEWARE!!!! If you are following 'LM' and you have seen tonight's 'Only Connect' you'll understand how peeved I am at the latter.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        If you're following Les 'Miserables' and you haven't seen tonight's 'Only Connect' - BEWARE!!!! If you are following 'LM' and you have seen tonight's 'Only Connect' you'll understand how peeved I am at the latter.
                        Yes - the unfortunate timing occurred to me, too. Ooops!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Tonights Silent Witness was great, provided you like brilliant mock ups of body parts.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Not lately but right now, an excellent programme on Channel 4 about recently revealed details of the UK's short-term fascist king, Edward VIII. Still possible to catch the whole of it on C4+1. I intend to record from that.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Talking Pictures TV have acquired the rights to Thames TV's contributions to 'Armchair Theatre', starting at 2210 tomorrow night.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                                Talking Pictures TV have acquired the rights to Thames TV's contributions to 'Armchair Theatre', starting at 2210 tomorrow night.
                                Thanks for the tip. It should be fascinating to watch some of these over 50 years later. (Also memories of Armpit Theatre on Round the Horne).

Comment

Working...
                                X