X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Good grief, that was a bit grim wasn't it? Already traumatised by the separation of Fantine and Cosette, I had to leave the room
    when... well you know....

Not pulling its punches is it?
    ("Pulling"....I wish I hadn't said "pulling...")....

And only 2 episodes in....!
    (I think I'll watch ​Avengers: Infinity War again for some stylised-violence-light-relief....not exactly upbeat itself, of course...)

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      The only 'vox pop' comments I've seen on various platforms keep talking about the absence of songs ...

(I saw the musical in 1980 when it opened when I was in Paris; happily nothing of it remains in my memory as I haven't seen it since.)
      Bugger
      I don't take much notice of TV and assumed that this was "The Glums"
      so might take a look later then

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Les Miserables...
        Nice to see that fine actor Lorcan Cranitch ('Ballykissangel','Cracker') in episode 2, albeit only very briefly.
        Grim? Yes, but necessary, I felt to show the depths to which some people are sometimes forced to sink.
        Lots of good things....Javert (David O) continues to dominate every scene he's in. And wonderful turns from Olivia Colman and Ron Cook.
        All topped off by an object lesson in how to rack up the tension at the end of an episode - not that I needed any persuasion to tune in next Sunday.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Good grief, that was a bit grim wasn't it? Already traumatised by the separation of Fantine and Cosette, I had to leave the room
          when... well you know....

Not pulling its punches is it?
          ("Pulling"....I wish I hadn't said "pulling...")....
          Yes, we couldn't watch that bit - after "Hold her still, mother"...... A different order of screen violence to, say, Luther, which you know is all in fun, really

Thinking back to the opening scene on Ep. 1, of course what a lot of the scavengers on the field of Waterloo were after were....teeth. Waterloo teeth quite sought after for a while We're lucky Thenardier was only after personal effects.....

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            Yes, we couldn't watch that bit - after "Hold her still, mother"...... A different order of screen violence to, say, Luther, which you know is all in fun, really

Thinking back to the opening scene on Ep. 1, of course what a lot of the scavengers on the field of Waterloo were after were....teeth. Waterloo teeth quite sought after for a while We're lucky Thenardier was only after personal effects.....
            Thanks for a fascinating link.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

A person's right to chews, I suppose...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                A person's right to chews, I suppose...
                Fangs a lot for that

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  Les Miserables...
                  Nice to see that fine actor Lorcan Cranitch ('Ballykissangel','Cracker') in episode 2, albeit only very briefly.
                  Grim? Yes, but necessary, I felt to show the depths to which some people are sometimes forced to sink.
                  Lots of good things....Javert (David O) continues to dominate every scene he's in. And wonderful turns from Olivia Colman and Ron Cook.
                  All topped off by an object lesson in how to rack up the tension at the end of an episode - not that I needed any persuasion to tune in next Sunday.
                  Yes....I wonder if I was the only one to be reminded of another idealistic, handsome man on a horse, sweeping across the countryside, to his fateful appointment....Oliver Reed as Père Grandier in Ken Russell's The Devils....

Comment

• Conchis
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2014

'YOU' on Netflix.

Trashy, compelling, addictive.....I watched all ten episodes in less than a week.

I hit the wall with the likes of Mad Men, Breaking Bad and (the inferior U.S. remake of) House Of Cards, but this one just grabbed me and wouldn't let go.

If you hate millennials (I don't, btw), you'll love it.....

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Brexit - the Uncivil War: deeply, deeply disappointing, and such a surprise with a cast like that. Good Grief!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        Brexit - the Uncivil War: deeply, deeply disappointing, and such a surprise with a cast like that. Good Grief!

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Recorded it, but not watched yet. Perhaps no rush, given your comments.

Watched the last episode of Berlin Game instead - what a mess. That's the second spy/intelligence series watched recently (the other the Little Drummer Girl) - both confusing and rather confusing IMO. Is that actually realistic though - maybe that kind of world really is chaotic - with back stabbing, collaboration when it suits - yet reneging on agreements and worse ....?

Also watched Mrs Wilson a few weeks ago - seemingly based on reality, and it seems that wasn't the only such example, so maybe really strange undercurrents do happen, but we don't know. Mrs Wilson was definitely worth watching. Still got the last part of the English Scandal to watch - very good so far.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Escape at Dannemora - 7 series tv series - directed by Ben Stiller - shown on Sky Atlantic

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Brexit - The Uncivil War - the reviews that I've read are mixed but more favourable than not on the whole. I, too, have recorded it and will have a look in due course.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

I have to confess to having enjoyed it, treating it as a sort of satire. Successfully bringing off the characterisations (apart from the Cumberbatch character, who was presented "straight"), since they were caricatures of readymade real-life caricatures, was probably going to be problematic in the first instance. I think the idea was to try to see the personalities involved from his unsympathetising but at the same time unsympathetic viewpoint, and that, too, was going to be difficult, since neither he nor they would come out of it with any semblance of principle or integrity. The unfolding plot rushed and convoluted all salient detail beyond the point of comprehensibility, though this may be because my wit is now dimmed, but the ending was mind-blowing, and I had to go outside and take a walk to re-compose myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X