Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

,,,,back on iplayer if you missed it yesterday....second part tonight : Home from Home [Chronical of a vision]....https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-vision-part-1
    ....wonderful film....
    bong ching

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      it's back...back...back! etc.
      https://www.hbo.com/true-detective/s...w-cast-trailer

True Detectives 1&2 (Sky Atlantic) were some of the greatest TV I ever watched - and it manages a lot of depth and intensity in a concise number of episodes...Nic Pizzolatto still the writer so .... highest expectations...
      Oh yessss!!

Thanks for this jayne!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Just watched Episode 1 of Les Mis. Quite enjoyed it...apart from the (otherwise delightful) company of two grandchildren, one studying French at university who kept us informed of departures from M. Hugo's original, and another who is obsessed with The Musical and kept us informed....you get the idea. Must try and watch the rest after term restarts!

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Just watched Episode 1 of Les Mis. Quite enjoyed it...apart from the (otherwise delightful) company of two grandchildren, one studying French at university who kept us informed of departures from M. Hugo's original, and another who is obsessed with The Musical and kept us informed....you get the idea. Must try and watch the rest after term restarts!
          I was hugely impressed from the start, especially by the performances of Dominic West, Dacid Oyelowo and (inevitably, I guess) Derek Jacobi. The subtle interweaving of the various threads reveals that Andrew Davies has lost none of his dramatization skills. Those who find it too grim need reminding that the French title doesn't translate as 'This Happy Breed'.
          Last edited by LMcD; 31-12-18, 08:34.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Oh yessss!!

Thanks for this jayne!
            ​"If you ask me, the light's winnin".........

And remember that Series 2 Finale, out in the white sands of the Mojave, the black cars throwing up the dust, the grave already dug...?
            A scene of true tragic grandeur....

Yes - excellent start for Les Mis, Dominic West outstanding, especially in that later scene with Petit-Gervais...

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Not sure if this aired down south, but if you like Billy Connolly you might enjoy the first of this two-parter - a wee autobiography of the Big Yin. Some great film of old Glasgow in there, and a few digs at Edinburgh, and the wonderful John Byrne is in there too, of course. Takes a wee bit to get going - as Billy said he's not very good at starting stuff.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                Not sure if this aired down south, but if you like Billy Connolly you might enjoy the first of this two-parter - a wee autobiography of the Big Yin. Some great film of old Glasgow in there, and a few digs at Edinburgh, and the wonderful John Byrne is in there too, of course. Takes a wee bit to get going - as Billy said he's not very good at starting stuff.
                https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...es-1-episode-1
                Better hurry. It's only available for the next 11 months.

[Oh, and Episode 1 is also to be repeated on Wednesday 9th at 02:05 pm on BBC2.]
                Last edited by Bryn; 31-12-18, 12:03. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  I was hugely impressed from the start, especially by the performances of Dominic West, Dacid Oyelowo and (inevitably, I guess) Derek Jacobi. The subtle interweaving of the various threads reveals that Andrew Davies has lost none of his dramatization skills.
                  It was absolutely excellent on all levels, I thought. Absolute treat.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

It was absolutely excellent on all levels, I thought. Absolute treat.
                    Oh. It's (exactly) 41 years since I last (and first) read the book (in the Hapgood translation) and I sort-of felt that the characterisation of Javert was somewhat oversimplified from how I "remembered" - does he "explain" his background to Valjean like this?

But - I appreciated the extra background for Fantine (all three young women very well played), and thought Jacobi excellent. In fact, I thought the production/adaptation really "took off" from that point (the Gervais scene - what an extraordinary kid! - particularly effective); I'd been thinking that I might not bother with the rest of the series until then.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Oh. It's (exactly) 41 years since I last (and first) read the book (in the Hapgood translation) and I sort-of felt that the characterisation of Javert was somewhat oversimplified from how I "remembered" - does he "explain" his background to Valjean like this?

But - I appreciated the extra background for Fantine (all three young women very well played), and thought Jacobi excellent. In fact, I thought the production/adaptation really "took off" from that point (the Gervais scene - what an extraordinary kid! - particularly effective); I'd been thinking that I might not bother with the rest of the series until then.
                      Enjoyed it all but why have some characters speaking French when the drama is played out in English?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        Enjoyed it all but why have some characters speaking French when the drama is played out in English?
                        At least no-one's doing a Malkovich

Comment

• Stunsworth
                          • Nov 2010

My guess is that it’s because at the time the book is set French wasn’t the universal language in France, so it’s trying to replicate that in the English/French split. Another possibility is that the extras were native French speakers so couldn’t ‘do’ convincing English actors.

I made the mistake of reading the review of the programme on the Daily Mail website. While the review itself was very positive the comments below the line were depressing - both with regard to the BBC and the casting.
                          Steve

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                            I made the mistake of reading the review of the programme on the Daily Mail website. While the review itself was very positive the comments below the line were depressing - both with regard to the BBC and the casting.
                            The only 'vox pop' comments I've seen on various platforms keep talking about the absence of songs ...

(I saw the musical in 1980 when it opened when I was in Paris; happily nothing of it remains in my memory as I haven't seen it since.)

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

The only 'vox pop' comments I've seen on various platforms keep talking about the absence of songs ...

(I saw the musical in 1980 when it opened when I was in Paris; happily nothing of it remains in my memory as I haven't seen it since.)
                              We saw 'Les Mis' in London some years ago, and I can honestly say that neither of us can remember a single moment of the occasion.

Comment

• ardcarp
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

I think it's an accepted stage/film technique to add a bit of national colour...in just the same way as scenery, costume (and occasionally music) does. Best not to over-think it!

Comment

Working...
                                X