X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    I quite agree. I think, when I hear people bleating about their 'rights' and the 'wrongs' done to them (when really they mean 'give us money') of all those young men conscripted and sent to suffer and die in the trenches in the first war, and all those whose lives and health were ruined by bombing. There's been no 'reparations ' for them . .
    Agreed. May be there's another test, just around the corner, for us, kindly organised by President Putin.

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

Yes, I did hear defence chiefs warning of the need to prepare for 'a land war'. I don't want to start a row about Ukraine , so I'll just say I hope skilful diplomacy will prevent that.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Yes, I did hear defence chiefs warning of the need to prepare for 'a land war'. I don't want to start a row about Ukraine , so I'll just say I hope skilful diplomacy will prevent that.
        One of the biggest lessons to learn from history is that since feudal times, when kings still sometimes joined in battle, the ruling classes (of whatever land) always sacrifice the lower orders to achieve their narrow self-serving ends, after firstly blaming them for the causes of everything having gone wrong. You would think everyone would know that by now, which just shows the power of scapegoating propaganda. Everyone claims they bear witness to and can claim judgement on others in the neighbourhood while the rich and powerful few we are encouraged to ogle and envy as portrayed on TV dramas and Hollywood blockbusters hide inside their gated enclaves, their lawbreaking only exposed when it is too late to make amends. .

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          D Day The Unheard Tapes BBC 2
          Audio taped interviews with survivors of D Day - German soldiers, French citizens and Resistance fighters as well as allied soldiers - made after the war are lip-synced by present day actors dressed as though of the 1940s, intercut with live contemporaneous cine footage and some reenactments. It seemed to me an unpromising idea but turns out to be magnificent.
          Having now watched all three episodes I think this series has brought to life more vividly than any other the real feel of armed combat in WWII.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

There was an interview of the director of "D Day The Unheard Tapes" and one of the actors, on the Today programme, R4, this morning - probably at 8.30 a.m or thereabouts. Said they worked, taking some time, with the families of the interviewed veterans, to gain a better understanding for the programme.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Not my cup of tea , but ....I'm sure someone might drink at these cups....Kessler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zlZ4whC_Qw and The Fourth Arm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qehtaDlHj0c
              bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Ford Maddox Ford : Parades End............on UK TV Play/Drama https://uktvplay.co.uk/shows/parades-end/watch-online

I really enjoyed this (this time)....when it showed on BBC originally I panned it; I think, and gave up on it. I still think the first 2 episodes are not as good as they could have been....and I was drawn in much more this time (forgive and forget)....and had more time to come to terms with it.....very good - worth watching....
                bong ching

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  Ford Maddox Ford : Parades End............on UK TV Play/Drama https://uktvplay.co.uk/shows/parades-end/watch-online

I really enjoyed this (this time)....when it showed on BBC originally I panned it; I think, and gave up on it. I still think the first 2 episodes are not as good as they could have been....and I was drawn in much more this time (forgive and forget)....and had more time to come to terms with it.....very good - worth watching....
                  Most spin-offs or sequels are not as good as the programmes that inspired them - 'Kessler' was a sort-of-OK sequel to 'Secret Army'.
                  Thanks for the heads-up on 'Parade's End', which I shall add to my 'to-watch' list..

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

I must say I was disappointed with the TV Parade's End, but then ,having loved the books for years, I wasn't expecting much. I thought the Howards End was awful too, not a patch on the Merchant Ivory film. I would urge anyone who judges Ford by watching this version to read the original novels, especially Some Do Not... which is I think his best work.

By the way, and forgive the pedantry, just for the record there is only one 'd' in this 'Madox'. It was his great-grandmother's maiden name.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Admirers of Dennis Potter and/or Albert Finney might like to know that 'Karaoke' will be broadcast on BBC4 tomorrow.

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

I thought Traitor was excellent , with John le Mesurier in a rare serious part, and Jack Hedley dependable as always.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

I thought Traitor was excellent , with John le Mesurier in a rare serious part, and Jack Hedley dependable as always.
                          JlM deservedly won the Best Television Actor award at the 1971 Baftas for what was one of his few lead roles.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

We have been watching the marvellous series of Maigret starring Bruno Cremer on Talking Pictures TV over the last year. In total there are 54 episodes, and Maigret en meublé (Maigret rents a room) will be episode 51, to be shown next Tuesday. I have been reading / re-reading all the stories as the series unrolls ; I shall be very sad when we reach the end next month.
                            I've just watched 'Madame Quatre Et Ses Enfants' and was impressed. I was amused by the antics of the clock in the boarding-house, which suddenly gained 2 minutes and equally suddenly lost 13 - or was the villain trying to play tricks on somebody's mind?

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

We're enjoying Enemy at the Door, on TPTV, which I missed first time. It is very thought-provoking in a 'what would you have done?' way. Lovely signature tune by Wilfred Josephs.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

The third in the series of three weekly programmes How the Wild West Was Won with Ray Mears is showing tonight at 7pm over on BBC4. This has proved an invaluable series for learning all about how the white folks "conquered" North America and what motivated them. It has to be said that Mears tends towards an "inevitability slant" on the subject, and for all his knowledge of the natural world and bush craft expertise he does rather imply sympathy for that "survivalist" macho mentality characteristic of the "American outback" that advocates the weapons ownership free-for-all. I am pretty sure I heard him advocating corporal punishment for miscreant children in a TV debate on the issue a few years ago. Nevertheless this is a good place to learn about what came to shape "the American character".

Comment

Working...
                                X