X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post

Thanks for the heads up tim, looks an interesting episode of the daleks. Followed by more dr who themed content. I suspect between programs they will be telling us of all the backlog episodes now available on bbc iplayer. Petroc was mentioning it on breakfast this morning and playing dr who music. Something about sixty year anniversary. All good dr who stuff.
    Didn't have problem with including Dr Who music - Richard Rodney Bennett is allowed on R3 I think - but I could have done without the repetition of the 60th anniversary theme... I know I am no longer young thank you Petroc!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Didn't have problem with including Dr Who music - Richard Rodney Bennett is allowed on R3 I think - but I could have done without the repetition of the 60th anniversary theme... I know I am no longer young thank you Petroc!
      I don't agree! The original version has a purity about it, which would strongly influence Krautrock bands in the early 70s such as Tangerine Dream, and in turn Techno.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....I have just sat down at the behest of my 6yr old grandson....and watched the first 2 episodes of the Chris Ecclestone Dr Who....he loved it....I have never liked it....it was very difficult explaining concepts of time and space, aliens Oh etc etc to Rowan....question upon question....The first music version far clearer and rich...New version muddy less pulsing, less treble....
        bong ching

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

I have never watched Dr Who - not once in its sixty years. (Perhaps I should ask to go on that radio show... "I've never watched Star Wars'...) Is it 'iconic'? Is this the First Folio all over again?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
            ....I have just sat down at the behest of my 6yr old grandson....and watched the first 2 episodes of the Chris Ecclestone Dr Who....he loved it....I have never liked it....it was very difficult explaining concepts of time and space, aliens Oh etc etc to Rowan....question upon question....The first music version far clearer and rich...New version muddy less pulsing, less treble....
            Yesss!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I don't agree! The original version has a purity about it, which would strongly influence Krautrock bands in the early 70s such as Tangerine Dream, and in turn Techno.
              I meant the repetition of the fact it's a 60th anniversary, not musical theme. On that front I also much prefer the original.

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

If you've never watched Doctor Who? I wouldn't recommend starting now, as they've ruined it in recent years. The last series I could stand was David Tennant; even the Matt Smith adventures were a falling-off for me , and as for Jodie Whittaker, oh dear....

For many connoisseurs, the 'golden age' was the Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker adventures, though I've enjoyed seeing the Peter Davison and Colin Baker DVDs.

Comment

• tim2017
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post

Thanks for the heads up tim, looks an interesting episode of the daleks. Followed by more dr who themed content. I suspect between programs they will be telling us of all the backlog episodes now available on bbc iplayer. Petroc was mentioning it on breakfast this morning and playing dr who music. Something about sixty year anniversary. All good dr who stuff.
                  The Daleks. I loved the colourisation. Not fond of the extra music. The escape from the cell accompanied by loud Top of the Pops 60s beat music was jarring. I half expected Dyoni the Skarian bunny girl to be strutting her stuff. I prefered the first sight of the city (odds and ends from Woolworths) with solemn chords that enchanted me as a child. The original music gives a strangeness and sense of place that adds to so much.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                    If you've never watched Doctor Who? I wouldn't recommend starting now, as they've ruined it in recent years. The last series I could stand was David Tennant; even the Matt Smith adventures were a falling-off for me , and as for Jodie Whittaker, oh dear....

For many connoisseurs, the 'golden age' was the Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker adventures, though I've enjoyed seeing the Peter Davison and Colin Baker DVDs.
                    I've watched at various times over the years - the black and white child-frightening 60s, early 80s, and occasional episodes from 2000 on when my son or daughter has been around. I lost interest once it seemed to become too formulaic - a storyline of sorts but all the effort seemingly focused on the spectacle of the big whizz bang battle finale, all special effects rather than substance. As all that action movie type stuff doesn't appeal to me it rendered the rest of each episode rather lacking.
                    Watching some of the early footage in a TV programme a while ago I was interested that some aspects I still found chilling, so it wasn't just a child's greater susceptibiity to fright that made those early episodes alarming to me. William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton I found really sinister, and it's that aspect that has stayed with me and perhaps made the subsequent versions less and less compelling or interesting.
                    The dalek thing always puzzled me somewhat - they were so feared but seemed to have so many weak spots I couldn't quite understand why. Good for playacting, and Blue Peter makes though.

Comment

• smittims
                      • Aug 2022

As with much low-budget TV, they were forced to make more use of imagination and suggestion. To compare the B/W BBC ' Dalek Invasion of Earth' with the big-budget cinema version with Peter Cushing is most instructive.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

I know Professor Hannah Fry is not to everybody's liking, but I thought she made a great host in this week's hilarious episode of 'Have I Got News for You'.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

As with much low-budget TV, they were forced to make more use of imagination and suggestion. To compare the B/W BBC ' Dalek Invasion of Earth' with the big-budget cinema version with Peter Cushing is most instructive.
                          After my son and I had seen Star Wars on a big, big screen in the West End, we never watched Dr Who again.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Tonight's "tribute" programme on CH5 to the numerous embarrassing backdrop incidents, occasions and personalities was well worth its hour and a half, eliciting several LOLs from this viewer.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Re-watched 'An Adventure in Space and Time' this evening, with the excellent David Bradley playing William Hartnell in the story of how Doctor Who reached the screen back in '63. Really enjoyed it second time round.
                              Dramatised account of how Doctor Who was brought to the screen in 1963 by a young producer frustrated by TV's glass ceiling and an actor unhappy with a career of hard-man roles.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                The dalek thing always puzzled me somewhat - they were so feared but seemed to have so many weak spots I couldn't quite understand why.
                                Good for playacting, and Blue Peter makes though.
                                And planters...

Comment

Working...
                                X