Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Yes, I'm against that sort of thing. I've been expecting feminists to object to 'Carmen ' and 'Madame Butterfly' because of who gets stabbed. Not 'Tosca', though, because of who gets stabbed there. It's probably praised for 'empowerment'.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
      • Dec 2022

Recommend this series of programs about the housing crisis

Britain’s housing market is broken. With spiralling prices and record rents, key figures reveal the roots of the crisis. How did we get here - and what could happen next?
      Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• JasonPalmer
        • Dec 2022

While browsing i found this about the birth of israel, apt for the gaza conflict.

Examining the events leading up to the Israeli war of Independence in 1949. Made in 2008.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
          • Dec 2022

Found an interesting program about psychosis, says cannabis smoking can be a factor, no wonder its illegal then.

David Harewood explores his experience of psychosis and meets young people living with it.

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
            Found an interesting program about psychosis, says cannabis smoking can be a factor, no wonder its illegal then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00052mn
            Yeah, I mean it's not like alcohol can have a downside.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
              • Dec 2022

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

Yeah, I mean it's not like alcohol can have a downside.
              they did not mention that a factor though he first got ill when taking lots of pot and booze, best try be healthy eh

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post

they did not mention that a factor though he first got ill when taking lots of pot and booze, best try be healthy eh
                What I meant was that the government respects the fact that many people can enjoy alcohol responsibly and is prepared to accept the fact that this comes along with the many problems alcohol causes, but for some reason doesn't extend this to cannabis. Maybe because people could grow cannabis so there's not much money to be made from it? I don't know, maybe it's a cultural thing too. Speaking as someone who has a prolonged history of psychosis, primarily caused/triggered by cannabis (or the very strong strains thereof) I think it ought to be completely decriminalised/legalised and regulated.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                  • Dec 2022

I try be healthy and take my pills, they seem to be working well.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                    • Dec 2022

Joseph K,

Mind say you should avoid drugs and alcohol

i volunteer in a mind shop once a week, they used to have helpfull brochures in the shop, not anymore, now they just say talk to your gp.

jason
                    Last edited by JasonPalmer; 20-10-23, 16:37.

Comment

• Pianorak
                      • Nov 2010

I expect Emma Bovary could have done with a "mind shop". Just been watching the live stream of Bovary
                      Staatsballett Berlin
                      The world premiere of Christian Spuck's take on Flaubert's Madame Bovary​. On demand until Wednesday 31 January 2024 22:59. www.arte.tv. Very imaginative use of music by various composers, incl. Saint-Saens, Ligeti, Takemitsu, Part.
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• kindofblue
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Amazing how literary detectives (cf Morse) thrive on a concoction of beverages which would, for most ordinary folks, sozzle the brain to the extent they would be unable to unravel a bootlace let alone a plot of such complexity!
                        Agreed. When you read Simenon, which is highly recommeded by the way, it is staggering the amount of alcohol consumed in a novel. I remember doing a placement in a factory in northern France in 1981. Lunch was two hours and the employees, many of whom were operating heavy machinery, were allowed two glaases of red/white or two small beers with lunch. Things have changed since then of course but alcohol used to be a very common feature in everyday life in France, along with smoking.

Comment

• alywin
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                          I expect Emma Bovary could have done with a "mind shop". Just been watching the live stream of Bovary
                          Staatsballett Berlin
                          The world premiere of Christian Spuck's take on Flaubert's Madame Bovary​. On demand until Wednesday 31 January 2024 22:59. www.arte.tv. Very imaginative use of music by various composers, incl. Saint-Saens, Ligeti, Takemitsu, Part.
                          Was it any good?

Comment

• gradus
                            • Nov 2010

Anyone watching Uncanny on BBC Friday evenings? Viewers are invited to give their reaction -believer or sceptic to the experiences described as well as describing anything they have experienced. It seems unlikely that anyone sceptical about ghosts, poltergeists etc will have their minds changed by the accounts given on the programme but they may find the explanations given by the resident sceptical Psychologist convincing although he also seems to be stretching it a bit sometimes.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                              • Dec 2022

Simon Schamas Power Of Art was good on bbc four lastnight.

Simon Schama recounts moments of high drama in the making of eight artistic masterpieces.

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

I haven't seen it mentioned here, so I thought I'd put in a word for the three-part documentary 'The Irish Civil War' on PBS America. As far as I could tell it is scrupulously impartial.

One thing they emphasise is the importace of seeing the event in context with other civil wars and revolutions taking place before and around the same time in Russia, Finland, China, etc. Showing at the same time as the wars in Ukraine and Israel, it evokes the (perhaps naive) dismay as to why people cannot simply sit down and live in peace next to one another, accepting their differences rather than resorting to violence.

...'I wonder,
                                Will the world ever saner be,'
                                Said one, 'than when He sent us under
                                In our indifferent century!'

And many a skeleton shook his head.
                                'Instead of preaching forty year.'
                                My neighbour Parson Thirdly said,
                                'I wish I had stuck to pipes and beer.'

Thomas Hardy, April 1914.

Comment

Working...
                                X