X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tim2017
    • Dec 2017

Shakespeare Schedule on BBC
    The BBC is celebrating this extraordinary anniversary with an ambitious season of content across TV, Radio, BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds

Comment

• JasonPalmer
      • Dec 2022

Wow, thanks tim
      Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

I hope there will be a documentary about the First Folio, which may dispel some of the misconceptions about it, brilliantly lampooned in 'Cunk on Shakespeare' . When shown a First Folio, she says to the camera in a voice of awe : 'This is the only surviving copy of Shakespeare's plays'.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          I hope there will be a documentary about the First Folio, which may dispel some of the misconceptions about it, brilliantly lampooned in 'Cunk on Shakespeare' . When shown a First Folio, she says to the camera in a voice of awe : 'This is the only surviving copy of Shakespeare's plays'.
          Still available on the iPlayer: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07bgqdt

Comment

• JasonPalmer
            • Dec 2022

Thanks for the link bryn, followed it and watched clunk.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
              NB: a run of new episodes of the Bruno Crémer Maigret starts this Tuesday 17/10 at 21:05 on Talking Pictures TV​
              Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              17 Oct : Vente à la bougie
              ...from Trussel Maigret of the Month -

"This short story assembles in its few pages, the essential ingredients of a Maigret investigation... distinctive characters, clues unraveled by Maigret, who arrives at the truth "without seeming to", the Chief Inspector's method of questioning, keeping the suspects "out of breath, minute by minute, having them repeat 10 times the same actions, the same words". And if the story, a murder committed by a woman to keep the man she loves and trump her young rival, could have taken place anywhere at all, the author however decided to set it in the marshes of Vendée, whose humid atmosphere of a rainy January emphasizes the sordid side. Maigret, assigned – for some reason – to the flying squad at Nantes, installs himself in an isolated inn at Pont-du-Grau, battered by wind and rain, and with glasses of white wine, beer and calvados, tries to untangle the knot of the plot, where the theft of a well-filled wallet could be attributed to any of the protagonists... all could have had an interest in taking a large sum... But which went all the way?

It's probably this theme of a "motive available to all" which allowed the scenarists of the episode adapted for the series with Bruno Crémer, to modify the story and change the guilty party! Otherwise, this episode is one of the best of the series, and I encourage you to see it, to see how a skillful scenarist, knowledgeable of Maigret's world, manages to draw from a few pages, a successful and convincing adaptation... "
              ​"

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by FRJames View Post
                The Fear of God - 25 Years of The Exorcist - BBC4 - Thurs 5 Oct.

Mark Kermode explores the extraordinary history of The Exorcist with the stars of the film and its creators.

Mark Kermode's excellent documentary getting a repeat now that it is 50 years of The Exorcist. Followed by a screening of this still troubling film.
                Watching this just now. Fascinating!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

Watching this just now. Fascinating!
                  I'll probably watch it but when I saw the film on its first release and thought it laughably poorly done hokum.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

...from Trussel Maigret of the Month -

" with glasses of white wine, beer and calvados, tries to untangle the knot of the plot,
                    ​"
                    Amazing how literary detectives (cf Morse) thrive on a concoction of beverages which would, for most ordinary folks, sozzle the brain to the extent they would be unable to unravel a bootlace let alone a plot of such complexity!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Amazing how literary detectives (cf Morse) thrive on a concoction of beverages which would, for most ordinary folks, sozzle the brain to the extent they would be unable to unravel a bootlace let alone a plot of such complexity!
                      Vera manages to get by on cups of coffee fetched by Kenny.

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

Not to mention Sherlock Holmes and his syringe...

I think the frequency of people pouring drinks in films (very often spirits rather than wine or beer) is 'stage business' to give them something to do rather than just standing still delivering their lines. It's all part of the illusion of realism, including , for instance, the way characters in dialogue in TV dramas stand much closer to each other than they would in real life.

What I don't like is having them eating, and talking while they're eating. I've always found this intolerable.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

... further details on Maigret's drinking habits -

Last edited by vinteuil; 19-10-23, 12:45.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

I'll probably watch it but when I saw the film on its first release and thought it laughably poorly done hokum.
                            That's a shame. I think I was probably about 12 when I first saw it and found it really disturbing, but great! I recall also renting it from Blockbusters when I was 17 (on this day, notably, I was able to catch the bus for the price of a 16 year-old, while also rent an 18 film) and watched it with my sister, very much enjoying it. I think that video featured a documentary about the film, where apparently lots of inexplicable & creepy things happened on the set. I am not sure if it was the same documentary as the Mark Kermode.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                              • Dec 2022

The merchant of venice was good, enjoyed the start of richard III, will try watch the rest of it when i can. Looks like sunday bbc four worth watching out for, started listening to radio 3s the tempest but cant say it gripped me, will try again when i have the time.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
                                The merchant of venice was good, enjoyed the start of richard III, will try watch the rest of it when i can. Looks like sunday bbc four worth watching out for, started listening to radio 3s the tempest but cant say it gripped me, will try again when i have the time.
                                Some people might feel impelled to complain that the BBC should have postponed or cancelled showing The Merchant of Venice at a time of mounting threats against Jewish people.

Comment

Working...
                                X