X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by FRJames View Post
    The Fear of God - 25 Years of The Exorcist - BBC4 - Thurs 5 Oct.

Mark Kermode explores the extraordinary history of The Exorcist with the stars of the film and its creators.

Mark Kermode's excellent documentary getting a repeat now that it is 50 years of The Exorcist. Followed by a screening of this still troubling film.
    Thank you for raising this!

Comment

• JasonPalmer
      • Dec 2022

Binged in "soldier" series on iplayer. Follows recruits on their six months basic training.
      Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
        Binged in "soldier" series on iplayer. Follows recruits on their six months basic training.
        Much of which I would rather forget, though it had its fun moments.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

Beginning next Saturday, BBC4 are repeating 'The Hollow Crown', a series of Shakespeare's plays about the Wars of the Roses, first screened in 2016, the quatercentenary of the author's death. I liked the first series, well-done overall, with Jeremy Irons a memorable Henry IV. But I didn't like the second series which contained some miscastings (in my humble opinion) and tried to be too much like an American gory thriller.

By coincidence I've recently re-read Richard II, which reminded me of the splendid 1973 RSC staging with Richard Pascoe and Ian Richardson. We were lucky also to see the two Henry IVs at our local theatre with Timothy and Sam West as Falstaff and Hal.

Comment

• alywin
            • Apr 2011

The BBC has been advertising that it will be re-airing some 90s programmes on BBC4. If the "Warriors" mentioned in the list is the award-winning Peter Kosminsky drama following the fortunes of peace-keeping soldiers in Bosnia, then it is a highly recommended, albeit harrowing, watch. It features Ioan Gruffudd, Damian Lewis and Matthew Macfadyen in the early stages of their careers. I have it on VHS, but I don't think it was ever released on DVD, so I'll be wanting to record it for posterity.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
              • Dec 2022

Our tv remote broke so while awaiting a replacement from amazon i binged on some sci fi on prime video, tomorrows war was good and the first episode of picard, rest of the sci fi was not that good really.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                • Dec 2022

Enjoyed series 3 of jack ryan on amazon prime, now enjoying series 4.

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

I hope you got your TV sorted out, Jason. Many modern sets don't have any buttons and are useless if the remote packs up.

Very often the problem is dirt between the contact points. It used to be easy to crack them open and clean the affected parts, but recently they've become impossible to open without wrecking them. I was prepeared to resort to a Black and Decker Workmate and a Stanley Knife in desperation to perform major surgery on my Panasonic recorder's remote control, but luckily managed to prise it apart with a fine-bladed screwdriver.

Comment

• alywin
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by alywin View Post
                    The BBC has been advertising that it will be re-airing some 90s programmes on BBC4. If the "Warriors" mentioned in the list is the award-winning Peter Kosminsky drama following the fortunes of peace-keeping soldiers in Bosnia, then it is a highly recommended, albeit harrowing, watch.
                    It is - and I think it's on this coming Wednesday, very late.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                      • Dec 2022

Enjoying the new bbc interview with a vampire, watched two episodes so far, one on broadcast and one on bbc iplayer.

thanks for the concern smittims, we bought a new control from amazon for £8 ... cheaper than a new tv

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

NB: a run of new episodes of the Bruno Crémer Maigret starts this Tuesday 17/10 at 21:05 on Talking Pictures TV​
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

Yes! I have set my recorder accordingly. I've seen them all so far and am quite sure these are the best Maigrets ever. The Granada ones were good (with Michael Gambon) but limited by needing to be confined to the 49 minute schedule. I don't think they had good ratings as they made only twelve I think.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                            NB: a run of new episodes of the Bruno Crémer Maigret starts this Tuesday 17/10 at 21:05 on Talking Pictures TV​
                            ... many thanks : set to record

17 Oct : Vente à la bougie

24 Oct: les vacances de Maigret

31 Oct: Maigret a peur

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                              • Dec 2022

Watched most of an interesting documentary about the housing crisis on bbc iplayer.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                                • Dec 2022

Searched bbc iplayer for venice and found play for today old version of merchant of Venice, pretty good stuff.

correction, play of the month

looks like bbc four is actually improving !
                                Last edited by JasonPalmer; 17-10-23, 19:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X