Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

I'm loving 'The Woman in the Wall' with the wonderful Ruth Wilson on BBC1 - can't wait for episode 3. Thrilling!
    Murder, mystery, morality. One woman's traumatic past threatens to expose Ireland’s most shocking and darkest secrets. Gothic detective story with Ruth Wilson and Daryl McCormack.

Comment

• FRJames
      • Jul 2023

The London Nobody Knows - Norman Cohen (1967)

An excellent documentary presented by James Mason, based on Geoffery Fletcher's 1962 book.

Talking Pictures TV - 4/9/2023, 5.05pm.

The DVD of this documentary looks to be long OOP.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by FRJames View Post
        The London Nobody Knows - Norman Cohen (1967)

An excellent documentary presented by James Mason, based on Geoffery Fletcher's 1962 book.

Talking Pictures TV - 4/9/2023, 5.05pm.

The DVD of this documentary looks to be long OOP.
        I have that, coupled with a dreadful Swinging London-type film titled Les Bicyclettes de Belsize, best watched with the sound turned off. Mason introduces us to parts of London now no longer in existence like the Caledonian Road cattle market, and did so in a tone which today (and probably back then) would be seen as pretty condescending to say the least, it has to be said.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

I had intended to watch this, as I enjoy David Olusoga's programmes, but gave up after about 15 minutes, completely defeated by the dominating "background" music, which often wasn't decreased even when people were speaking. It just got too tiring and tiresome. Such a pity.
          David Olusoga explores the 400-year history of London’s Covent Garden Piazza.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            I'm loving 'The Woman in the Wall' with the wonderful Ruth Wilson on BBC1 - can't wait for episode 3. Thrilling!
            Murder, mystery, morality. One woman's traumatic past threatens to expose Ireland’s most shocking and darkest secrets. Gothic detective story with Ruth Wilson and Daryl McCormack.
            I was going to watch this but read a review in The Irish Times which completely slated it and put me off.

Maybe I should give it a go after all.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

I was going to watch this but read a review in The Irish Times which completely slated it and put me off.

Maybe I should give it a go after all.
              I've read a couple of dodgy reviews of 'The Woman in the Wall', gurney. I can't comment on the accent of Ruth Wilson, but as far as I'm concerned the series is worth watching for her alone. It does get a bit frantic at times, but I have found it gripping and often because of her performance. Personally, I can't wait for the next episode.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                • Dec 2022

Have been enjoying alone on channel 4, people left in canadian wilderness to see how stays longest, they have a satellite phone to "tap out" when it too much for them.
                Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Lordgeous
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  While this thread's current I'll mention that 'The Ascent of Man' is being repeated again on BBC4.

I first saw it in 2000 and it was a revelation to me, as someone largely ignorant of scientific matters, though I'd always admired Jacob Bronowski from his appearances on 'Tonight'. I still think it (and he) are among the most compelling things I've seen on TV. Of course it's dated now, and for some politically incorrect (women aren't mentioned in episode one) but I'm looking forward to seeing it all again.
                  Yes, I remember watching its original broadcast. Gripping then and still complusive veiwing. The selected music also well chosen. What 'serious' broadcasting can match this today? His Parkinson interview was fascinating too - I don't recall seeing that at the time.

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

Nor did I, but I've recorded it and am looking forward to seeing it.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Have just watched this
                      Conductor and composer Andre Previn looks back at some of his greatest television moments.

and very much enjoyed it but it did come with a large helping of regret for extent to which the kind of programmes featured don't appear any more - such impoverishment. OK Andre Previn and the LSO would never be a regular feature these days, but what's wrong with using the BBC orchestras? Is it really acceptable to just ignore several centuries of music because of erroneous perceptions of what modern audiences apparently(where is the evidence?) want.
                      The other thing that struck me, as always, was the unfussy, gimmick-free filming.
                      I'm just glad I was able to benefit at the time...

Comment

• Belgrove
                        • Nov 2010

Sunday evenings at 10pm, BBC4 are repeating Robert Hughes’ The Shock of the New, his survey of modern art up to 1980 when the series first aired. This (and the recently repeated Ascent of Man) illustrate how big themed documentaries, even if they get made, have declined in intellectual content since then. Hughes’ forthright delivery, intelligence and lack of condescension is bracing.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
                          Sunday evenings at 10pm, BBC4 are repeating Robert Hughes’ The Shock of the New, his survey of modern art up to 1980 when the series first aired. This (and the recently repeated Ascent of Man) illustrate how big themed documentaries, even if they get made, have declined in intellectual content since then. Hughes’ forthright delivery, intelligence and lack of condescension is bracing.
                          Programme change there then, since this was scheduled for 10.35 according to Radio Times, and preceded by a repeat of Alistair Laurence's excellent Holst and Vaughan Williams: Making Music English, which I'd marked up and would have been at 9.35. Thanks however for the tip 0ff, Belgrove.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Programme change there then, since this was scheduled for 10.35 according to Radio Times, and preceded by a repeat of Alistair Laurence's excellent Holst and Vaughan Williams: Making Music English, which I'd marked up and would have been at 9.35. Thanks however for the tip 0ff, Belgrove.
                            The freeview schedule is showing that two episodes are being aired consecutively - 10pm and 11pm

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Laura Kuenssberg: State of Chaos (BBC2: 1/3) was a fascinating dissection of the immediate post 2016 Referendum period up to the proroguing of Parliament by Johnson. I don't think I learned much that was factuallly new, but hearing politicians and senior mandarins speak on the record about their thoughts at the time was revealng. I intend to watch the other two programmes.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                Laura Kuenssberg: State of Chaos (BBC2: 1/3) was a fascinating dissection of the immediate post 2016 Referendum period up to the proroguing of Parliament by Johnson. I don't think I learned much that was factuallly new, but hearing politicians and senior mandarins speak on the record about their thoughts at the time was revealng. I intend to watch the other two programmes.
                                This reivew of the programme in the Guardian gives a more detailed description than my brief recommendation:
                                The knives are out as Nigel Farage, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Hilary Benn and more dish out startling high-end gossip about Brexit and beyond. A gruesome look at the UK’s political perma-crisis

Comment

Working...
                                X