X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Channel Four tonight - piano talent show from 'public' pianos...may interest some!
    https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-piano
    Watched it today - really moving. So many styles - agree with Serial (#2196) about this episode's winner.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
      • Dec 2022

I recently watched the edge of darkness film, an American 2010 production with Mel Gibson.

Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
        I recently watched the edge of darkness film, an American 2010 production with Mel Gibson.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge...ss_(2010_film)
        I would recommend catching the BBC original with rather effective theme music by Eric Clapton. I am a little surprised that the Beeb has not followed its frequently applied policy of making all episodes available following the broadcast of the first pair of episodes.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
          • Dec 2022

I recently enjoyed Chris packham and his autistic minds program.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
            • Dec 2022

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I would recommend catching the BBC original with rather effective theme music by Eric Clapton. I am a little surprised that the Beeb has not followed its frequently applied policy of making all episodes available following the broadcast of the first pair of episodes.
            will try find it on iplayer sometime soon, bit busy listening to radio 3 at the moment.

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

Thanks, frankie. Colin Douglas! Yes, just couldn't remember his surname.

Good point, Heldenleben, about the theme tune for 'A Family at War'. I wonder whose idea it was to use that VW tune ; an inspired choice.

The use of the Khatchaturian theme mde a best seller of SXL 6000 whih had languished inthe Decca catalogue until then. But the incidental music within the episodes of 'The Onedin Line' was a treasure-trove of Bax, Moeran, Sibelius, Bartok, even Schoenberg. etc. Watching it is like a music quiz.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                • Jan 2014

I'm enjoying seeing Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh in their youthful days in "Fortunes of War", a dramatisation of Olivia Manning's Balkans and Levant trilogies.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                  I'm enjoying seeing Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh in their youthful days in "Fortunes of War", a dramatisation of Olivia Manning's Balkans and Levant trilogies.
                  The books on which it's based are well worth seeking out.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                    • Dec 2022

Watched episode one of edge of darkness, gripping stuff and period drama, nobody has a mobile phone....better than the film.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
                      Watched episode one of edge of darkness, gripping stuff and period drama, nobody has a mobile phone....better than the film.
                      There is, now, much dependence on characters depending on mobile phones in contemporary dramas - sometimes shown as an ongoing message being sent or received in a corner of the screen. I guess one sort of gets used to it after a while - rather as one did flares and platform soles in the 1970s.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        I guess one sort of gets used to it after a while - rather as one did flares and platform soles in the 1970s.
                        Which did you get your messages on?

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

I'm looking forward to seeing 'Fortunes of War' again. I especially liked Alan Bennett's delightful cameo appearance as the querulous professor who is accidentally assassinated. .

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                            • Nov 2010

I just watched the BBC programme on Porton Down. It's quite interesting to know what they're up to just a few miles up the A30, and also quite interesting to see how many buildings there they weren't allowed into as well as how few questions were actually answered by the po-faced head of the establishment.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              I would recommend catching the BBC original with rather effective theme music by Eric Clapton.

Watched the ‘episodes 1&2’ first part via iPlayer last night - what gripping stuff, and yes a very effective and evocative sound track by Eric

I realise that I was aware of the series and its theme & mood back in the ‘80s without ever having actually watched it (unless I’ve comprehensively forgotten all details )… Shall definitely watch it all this time round.
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

I too saw that programme aboiut Porton Down and I thought it a good example of the sort of TV programme we need more of, informing the public about things we need to know instead of just celeb-chat.

Comment

Working...
                                X