X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LHC
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by seabright View Post
    Thanks for the link. Curiously, the caption under the video reads "Christmas 2021" which probably explains why I couldn't find it, even though it was indeed the programme shown last night. It was a repeat from last year, while I was looking for one captioned 2022!
    As you say, this was a repeat of last year’s Christmas University Challenge programmes. A new series of these specials begins tomorrow.
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

Did anyone watch the Channel4 three-part series 'The Disappearance of April Jones'? It was well-made and dealt with the various issues fairly, such as the question of media intrusiveness.

I was struck by the size of the Police operation involved, to search for a five-year-old girl: I counted four helicopters, Brecon Mountain Rescue vans, expert cavers, etc. It must have been expensive. I'm not objecting to the expense, but I did wonder if the same effort woiuld be expended if it were an old man and not a young girl. Does this indicate that our society is subconsciously more interested in young girls than in old men?. After all, in a primeval society, young girls are future child-bearers, but old men are 'useless mouths'.

I'd be interested to see your views.

Comment

• LHC
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        Did anyone watch the Channel4 three-part series 'The Disappearance of April Jones'? It was well-made and dealt with the various issues fairly, such as the question of media intrusiveness.

I was struck by the size of the Police operation involved, to search for a five-year-old girl: I counted four helicopters, Brecon Mountain Rescue vans, expert cavers, etc. It must have been expensive. I'm not objecting to the expense, but I did wonder if the same effort woiuld be expended if it were an old man and not a young girl. Does this indicate that our society is subconsciously more interested in young girls than in old men?. After all, in a primeval society, young girls are future child-bearers, but old men are 'useless mouths'.

The scale of operation more likely reflects the vulnerability of any young child, who is unlikely to be able to look after themselves of find their way home unaided. The imperative in such circumstances is to find them very quickly.

An old man is much more likely to be able to survive on their own for longer, and so while it is important to find them, there may be less urgency, unless the general conditions are particularly hazardous. I'm sure there would have been a similar efforts to find a young boy.
        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post

I think the sad truth is that a missing child is much more vulnerable than a missing old person. Child abduction is extremely rare but when it does occur the “outcomes “ are usually not good. The first few hours of the search are vital. It’s interesting why one life might be deemed more “valuable “ than another. I think it’s largely culturally determined and not a consequence of evolution . In China the elderly are held in much higher regard.

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

Thanks for these views.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

I've just finished watching this and thoroughly recommend it - a gem, regardless of whether organs are your thing or not. The organ at Knole being tuned, the workshop of https://www.goetzegwynn.co.uk/, a congregation coming together to move and install an old organ into their church https://adventist.uk/news/article/go...om-connection/ all well worth watching. And you'd need a heart of stone not to be moved by the destruction of the organ Blanche Beer played for more than 80 years.
              Organ stops: saving the king of instruments. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001gmv3

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

I have iton the hard disc ready to watch when my grandsons have hushed their uproar and gone home.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Anyone else enjoying Winter Walks (BBC4)?

"Slow TV" par excellence, and I love the candour of the participants....
                  Adrian Chiles was very honest and open about the problems he's faced, how he tries to deal....with ADHD, Depression, Drinking...

The recent Farm Animals (in-depth and up-close on Cows, Pigs etc) series on BBC4 was very good too...

Can't find much on TV right now. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, which I binged through latenight in a few weeks last Summer, seem to have spoilt me for everything else...

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Anyone else enjoying Winter Walks (BBC4)?

"Slow TV" par excellence, and I love the candour of the participants....
                    Adrian Chiles was very honest and open about the problems he's faced, how he tries to deal....with ADHD, Depression, Drinking...

The recent Farm Animals (in-depth and up-close on Cows, Pigs etc) series on BBC4 was very good too...

Can't find much on TV right now. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, which I binged through latenight in a few weeks last Summer, seem to have spoilt me for everything else...

I too enjoy Winter Walks but aren't these repeats from last year. I hope some new ones have been shot.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                      I too enjoy Winter Walks but aren't these repeats from last year. I hope some new ones have been shot.
                      I just don't know for sure - it might be a mix of both, but I didn't see them all then, memory is flawed and I would probably enjoy repeats anyway....Alistair Campbell is on soon, was he on last year? I don't recall him back then...

I love Billie Piper and I Hate Suzie Too (Sky Atlantic) is even better than I Hate Suzie...
                      Fading star tries to cling on to fame and her kids, reality TV & publicists sent up, broken marriage.... brilliantly scripted/directed, you don't get much further from Winter Walks than this...

I tried my best with The English, that weirded-out Western on BBC2, but it was just too damn solemn for me....I didn't make it through. Impatient perhaps, but with something like that, I need some black humour or gallows humour around to keep things sharp. Breaking Bad was the ne plus ultra in that respect...

Just about to watch Snow Dogs (BBC2) with Gordon Buchanan and some Huskies, then Predators on Sky Nature, can't get enough of the poor threatened Polar Bears and the fiercely beautiful Cheetahs...
                      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 25-12-22, 15:46.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

I just don't know for sure - it might be a mix of both, but I didn't see them all then, memory is flawed and I would probably enjoy repeats anyway....Alistair Campbell is on soon, was he on last year? I don't recall him back then...

I love Billie Piper and I Hate Suzie Too (Sky Atlantic) is even better than I Hate Suzie...
                        Fading star tries to cling on to fame and her kids, reality TV & publicists sent up, broken marriage.... brilliantly scripted/directed, you don't get much further from Winter Walks than this...

I tried my best with The English, that weirded-out Western on BBC2, but it was just too damn solemn for me....I didn't make it through. Impatient perhaps, but with something like that, I need some black humour or gallows humour around to keep things sharp. Breaking Bad was the ne plus ultra in that respect...

Just about to watch Snow Dogs (BBC2) with Gordon Buchanan and some Huskies, then Predators on Sky Nature, can't get enough of the poor threatened Polar Bears and the fiercely beautiful Cheetahs...
                        I’m pretty sure this is a new series of Winter Walks as I was texted a trail by someone who worked on them and I don’t think he’d have bothered for a repeat.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          I've just finished watching this and thoroughly recommend it - a gem, regardless of whether organs are your thing or not. The organ at Knole being tuned, the workshop of https://www.goetzegwynn.co.uk/, a congregation coming together to move and install an old organ into their church https://adventist.uk/news/article/go...om-connection/ all well worth watching. And you'd need a heart of stone not to be moved by the destruction of the organ Blanche Beer played for more than 80 years.
                          Organ stops: saving the king of instruments. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001gmv3
                          ....Yes Blanche Beer....she juxtaposed with evil electric organ man looking like youthful Vincent Price....
                          bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

....looking forward to Sound Walks on R3 today at 1600hrs https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001g9pn
                            bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                              ....looking forward to Sound Walks on R3 today at 1600hrs https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001g9pn
                              Bit noisy for my liking - here in London today it's as quiet as a grave - hardly a soul out and about.

Comment

• Braunschlag
                                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                                I’m pretty sure this is a new series of Winter Walks as I was texted a trail by someone who worked on them and I don’t think he’d have bothered for a repeat.
                                They have been previously broadcasted last year. Nonetheless they are rather good, not least due to the soundtrack (or lack of!). Living not far from the Dales and Lakes it saves me having to don wild weather gear and accompany the TV walkers instead. Alastair Camp bell’s is good, he makes a wise choice in making a detour above Settle in some pretty inclement snow!

Comment

Working...
                                X