X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... very sure about The Pursuit of Love on BBC1. In the immortal words of Alan Sugar - a load of tut

So pleased with itself - so self-indulgent - trying too hard - so 'look at me' : this sort of thing only works if it's as light as a soufflé.

Andrew Scott (who usually can do no wrong) just walking thro' his part ; Dominic West a mere panto villain.

And on a practical level - neither of us here could hear half of the dialogue - most of the whispering sequences totally lost.

Lily James of course a delight to look at - had it not been for her would have given up much earlier. But I'm a sad old perve...

Not sad surely vints .....,,.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      Not sad surely vints .....,,.
      ....perhaps we need a pervey ol'sad things thread....I'm up for it....
      bong ching

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Thanks to that advert, whenever I see Ms. James now I think "oh god not her again".....self-satisfaction levels way too high.
        Nice dresses though, especially the yellow one worn with white trainers.

No costume dramas for me, especially aristo-costume dramas, not ever, never..(including Jane Austen; make it stop, keep it away, please).
        ...But I did try the redux of Fargo (C4) with a degree of hope... got terribly bogged down in all this endless back-story. "Is there much more of this?" You keep checking time remaining.
        Unpleasantly violent too, so never made it to the end of ep 1. Might skip to ep.2 and give it one more chance....

Oh well. At least I still have The Good Doctor (Sky Witness) which tries ever harder to be some sort of successor to the great House.... without quite matching it. Very engaging though, and it does make me cry quite often. Catharsis is always welcome here.
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 12-05-21, 03:48.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          ...But I did try the redux of Fargo (C4) with a degree of hope... got terribly bogged down in all this endless back-story. "Is there much more of this?" You keep checking time remaining.
          Unpleasantly violent too, so never made it to the end of ep 1. Might skip to ep.2 and give it one more chance....
          Oh I love the leisurely pace, style & atmosphere of Fargo... I can take as much as they want to give!

(I did see Pursuit, felt like oneoneout about it, spirited decorative wallpaper but bof... I will probably take a look at the rest of it though).
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Still available on the iPlayer for the next 9 days, https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...e-of-the-storm
            I hope it comes round again - in the not too distant future.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Pursuit of Lerv....Lily James casting is a bit of a mistake really....she doesn't have the range/depth for this (lets be honest) not very well adapted/directed series, she is rarely convincing....very thin soup. Whereas Emily Beecham (Fanny) was the only plus and indeed kept the thing just about afloat....nuggets of dialogue /statements kept me interested....
              bong ching

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                Pursuit of Lerv....Lily James casting is a bit of a mistake really....she doesn't have the range/depth for this (lets be honest) not very well adapted/directed series, she is rarely convincing....very thin soup. Whereas Emily Beecham (Fanny) was the only plus and indeed kept the thing just about afloat....nuggets of dialogue /statements kept me interested....
                I was told at work by several folk that it was the best thing since wonderloaf.

As it touches on some areas of current interest at work, I thought I would give it a try.
                Well I did try....

On a happier note, just been rewatching the Prisoner, the proper one from 1967. Only my second full run through, and despite a couple of dodgy episodes ( episode 11 in particular) it is still wonderful drama, with startlingly good production values to boot.

Fabulous, and all too prescient .
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Fabulous, and all too prescient .
                  ....oi oi oi alright, already, what's with this Prisoner obsession....I however have been rewatching Seinfeld....and have alienated the whole damn village as I go around waving my hands in the air, being sarcastic in a NY Jewish accent and asking in the COOP for gefilte fish....
                  bong ching

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

....oi oi oi alright, already, what's with this Prisoner obsession....I however have been rewatching Seinfeld....and have alienated the whole damn village as I go around waving my hands in the air, being sarcastic in a NY Jewish accent and asking in the COOP for gefilte fish....
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

What a shame we can't actually hear you say "Noo Yoik"!

Comment

• Anastasius
                        • Mar 2015

Did we watch the same programme ? I thought it was stunning. Joyous. Life-affirming. Just watched it again for the second time.

Perhaps there wasn't enough hand-wringing angst-laden doom for some forumites.
                        Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

Have any Prime users started on The Underground Railroad yet ? The previews have been ecstatic.....wondering whether to start tomorrow when I come to the end of series 3 of The Good Fight.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post

...?????????????? sorry, your quote was from the nailbiting,freewheeling,gleeful cynic one.....so, PofL no meat....no potatoes....no gravy....anyway pleased you got a bit of life affirm', there was some there i admit that....I think the modern pop music (which I thought was out of place, incongruent; excepting it's "lust for life" nature) just about saved it from being a series of historical and cultural snapshots with no depth, held together by good actors/setting/costumes....oh yes and some string....
                            bong ching

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Did we watch the same programme ? I thought it was stunning. Joyous. Life-affirming. Just watched it again for the second time.

After watching last week, I’ll give it a miss on Sunday!

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

There wouldn't be much of that anyway, given the source book and the professed "very true to the original" line that has been taken to the adaptation we are told.
                                It was something of a visual feast (although as is often the case I found myself being distracted by the unlikely level of clean - surfaces, clothes etc), but for me that seemed at times to be considered more important than the dialogue, so the end result was somewhat unsatisfying. It felt a bit like listening to a concerto performed by an acclaimed soloist where the virtuosity takes over from the music.
                                It won't be required Sunday viewing for me but I am pleased that many seem to be taken with it - these days the Beeb failing expensively isn't a good thing - and it is something different (and far less unpleasant) from so much of current TV "drama" output.

Comment

Working...
                                X